PDA

View Full Version : coolent types ?

DC2108
11-06-2005, 08:03 PM
hey pplz im about to do aye coolent flush
i was thinking of use genuen honda coolent but me friend said just to get the other brands for like half the price
wat do uz think should i use genuen honda or any rand n save money ?

bennjamin
11-06-2005, 08:48 PM
please stick with OEM HONDA fluids for the good of your engine longevity.

For the $5 or so saving...is it worth it ?

spoon fit
11-06-2005, 09:48 PM
can use BMW one?
orange colour..

narcoleptic
11-06-2005, 10:55 PM
please stick with OEM HONDA fluids for the good of your engine longevity.

For the $5 or so saving...is it worth it ?

I concur with bennjamin's suggestion.
When I did my last flush on my radiator, that's roughly after I own my Accord for over 2 years (so the coolant must have been in there for over 2 years or more and the previous owner has always serviced at Honda), the mechanic said the flushed-out coolant was very clean with no rusted particles, and that he said, the flush wasn't necessary at all.

Just imagine, the same radiator has been running for 11 years on my car with no rusts or any related problems. Would you opt for that 20-bucks-cheaper-flush?

VTC-8OY
12-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Actually imo doesnt really matter.. i agree with your frend, same 5hit i say, your only gona get charged more. I've always put my own coolant in, and onetime i got a coolant flush done, and after the mech sed it wasnt actually needed for it was still very clean n no holes were blocked..

Ronin
12-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Serious, coolant is coolant - just get a good branded one that has met the specs required. All the mechs I talk to say its the same with different coloring. They all have the same active ingredient if you bother looking at the fine print. Its like medicine - panadol vs the herron brand.

Most importantly is that you get the concerntration correct. If its too little or too much - it can be very very corrosive.

clikz
12-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Yups I agree with Ronin
I thought there would be a big difference but if you read the ingredients of the coolants they're basically the same with different grades having different concentrations of the various chemicals
But from the mechanics that Ive talked to, they all say its the same and you end up flushin it every year or so when they're usually graded for 2 or o years of life

Limbo
13-06-2005, 11:08 AM
DON'T MIX COOLANTS! so long as you get a reputable brand it sould be fine. Just note that Aust. conditions and other country (like Europe) are gonna be different due to different climates.

Mixing coolants is the worst and that is usually as bad as putting in dodgy coolant. If your not sure what was in there before flush it out with a hose. Make sure all the water is clear. Then fille up with water. Warm up the car, release and do this till the water that comes out is clear. Then put in your coolant. I actually run toyota longlife coolant in my honda, cos it has always been very good in all my cars even the ones that had some rust previously.

destrukshn
25-06-2005, 06:39 PM
just use genuine coolants,
never mix it.
theres a new blue coloured honda coolant, apparently it's new and improved and i believe so because i use it myself.

flyhonda
26-06-2005, 05:05 PM
yes coolant is coolant, but i agree with limbo, dont mix it whatever you do! also ive seen this kameloen coolant, its suppose to change colour when its time to do a flush...decently priced also from supercheap and its a good concentration.