PDA

View Full Version : strutbars

alphabeatsco
12-06-2005, 01:34 AM
give some comments, please
only honest answer, dont be biased.
what is the difference between those cheap strut bars like 90 bucks for one.
compared to those spoon, cusco or mugen, expensive brands?
is there actually a difference in the improvement of the control...or jut becos of brands and made in japan?

also does the strut bars strengthen the rigidity of da car? sometiems i hear rattles in car, doesnt sound rigid to me...
wat will strengthen that ?

sivic
12-06-2005, 03:21 AM
strutbars, swaybars, lower arm bars etc do improve chassis rigidity and lateral stiffness. however they are not going to fix any rattles etc as they surely would not be from your chassis. if they are you have big problems.
anyway, the better brands do tend to be stronger. however, how strong you need a bar to be depends on its application (ie; swaybar or strut etc).
with a front upper strut brace you can get away with a cheaper one as they are not subject to huge amounts of strain. a rear swaybar or lower arm bar however you want to be very strong as they are put under large amounts of stress and will warp or fracture if not strong enough.

CTR Coupe
12-06-2005, 03:48 AM
I have spoon ones. I haven’t used anything else. The cheep and nasties usually don’t fit as well as the more expensive brands. I noticed also that my spoon ones are lighter than the cheep and nasties as well. At the end of the day it’s a bit of metal running between the two strut towers I’m sure the brand doesn’t make that much of a difference.

As for rattles that’s usually caused by interior parts. Not the chassis itself

Terry
12-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I think is the SAME...:D .....just like wearing $100 pair Levis or $35 no name one....Levis "LOOKS" better and that makes you "FEELS" better....but at the end of the day....jeans is jeans.....esp when they become old....

bennjamin
12-06-2005, 09:19 AM
and again and again and again . . .

you get what you pay for :)

Personally , i have THE best strut braces ( that is , strongest - Carbing) - and i wouldnt get anything else. But you pay a pretty dollar for the BLING :P

z3lda
12-06-2005, 10:40 AM
its all the mind.

if u dont track your car forget about the expensive, branded front/rear swaybars,tie bars,strut bars, lower control arms.
just buy the cheapest and shiniest ones on the market.

expensive/branded over cheap shiny ones will only be noticed when taking the car to the extreme. hard cornering at high speeds. (not doing 40km turns at the traffc lights)

alphabeatsco
12-06-2005, 12:04 PM
hey thanks guys!
cos i heard from someone before, dont ever get the cheap ones, as they bend like hell..
after a month, it's completely bent..i dunno if it's too exaggerated...but thanks for ur thoughts.

Taxi-R
12-06-2005, 05:22 PM
I think is the SAME...:D .....just like wearing $100 pair Levis or $35 no name one....Levis "LOOKS" better and that makes you "FEELS" better....but at the end of the day....jeans is jeans.....esp when they become old....

i beg to differ on this example...the cheap jeans tend to shrink more, lose colour more and faster.

back to the topic, potentially don't fit properly, more prone to bending and hence not really doing anything at all (hence spending $100 for almost nothing) and weight. all of which has been covered by previous posts. The price u pay is not all branding but the R&D behind it. Of course, if you don't really take corners hard, then don't bother buying one unless u wanna spend money just for bling. The mugen one is like $400. i think is an overkill. the spoon ones are $268 by one of the traders. A tad expensive for a bar but hey, nothing comes for free. But it is good quality and fits perfectly.

like everything else, quality comes at a price. u really do get what u pay for :D

sivic
12-06-2005, 11:17 PM
if you're only looking at an upper front strut you can get away with a cheaper one as these get put under stuff all strain, unlike swaybars.
however, you may want some bling as this is the suspension part that everyone sees so its a bit of a weighup

_Daniel
13-06-2005, 12:15 AM
i went from a cheapo front strut to a Spoon one and there was a noticable difference.
I only changed em over coz I got the spoon one for free too. Imo its worth investing that lil bit extra for the better parts

Limbo
13-06-2005, 10:59 AM
You get what you pay for but i did notice a difference in handling when i brought an el cheapo front. Still works almost as well. BUt like everyone said the more expensive ones are better in weight and strenght. THe cheap ones haven't bent on me yet so they are not all bad and i've had mine on for over 2mths. COuld be bad installation? i rem my mechanic telling me not to tighten the front bar all the way so that it is super tense otherwise it would snap.

SpOOn-FED
13-06-2005, 11:22 AM
they all deal with body roll and suspension stiffness so prety much yeh body rigidy
it improves control to a point and also if u ever race in any kind of way it stops your body roll of your car to an extent so yer it helps.....
and i realy dont know what the difference is between different brands......
but i trust the big brand names because spoon and mugen test der products before putting it out.........

e240
13-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Oh please! Spare me the branded (and ex) = good...not always..

When I was in uni, I was too poor to buy such stuff and ended up making my own...

For tower struts, I simply cut 3~4mm thick steel plates to use as the base, went to mitre-10 and bought hollow steel rods (light) and welded everything up...

It had a very noticeable effect on the car and held up really well when I hillclimbed, motorkhana'ed, Khanacrossed, tracked that poor little car...and mind you, most of the motorkhana's and khanacross were done off road...

kvad
13-06-2005, 08:26 PM
For tower struts, I simply cut 3~4mm thick steel plates to use as the base, went to mitre-10 and bought hollow steel rods (light) and welded everything up...

pics :D

vinhy
13-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh please! Spare me the branded (and ex) = good...not always..

When I was in uni, I was too poor to buy such stuff and ended up making my own...

It had a very noticeable effect on the car and held up really well when I hillclimbed, motorkhana'ed, Khanacrossed, tracked that poor little car...and mind you, most of the motorkhana's and khanacross were done off road...

omg wat a mad diy. u shud release ur product to the market. hehehe :p

Terry
13-06-2005, 09:10 PM
3-4mm? or cm?!:confused:

e240
13-06-2005, 11:59 PM
pics :D

Dude...that was like 8 years ago (shitz..am I that old!!)...
but that was hell of a fun car...*sigh*

Wanna see my other baby instead?

Took 1 year to build but did it all on my own including the paint job (ok.I had a friend's help for this one..we painted it in his toilet)

... :wave: ...

Hmm..can't seem to add attachment..

e240
14-06-2005, 12:06 AM
3-4mm? or cm?!:confused:

mm...its the thickness of the base plate...