PDA

View Full Version : different between australian version crx and jdm version??

Jazzle
12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
my brother is considering to buy a crx (the square-ish, around 1988-1990 generation).. and im getting confused with what i find...

what are the differences between an australian version crx and a JDM one?

are they running on the same engine?? and as i know, the aussie one orginally runs on a D16a8 engine and is it DOHC with vtec???

really need answers to the qeustions before we look further.. please help...
thank you

z3lda
12-06-2005, 10:30 AM
buy the jdm version if u can get your hands on one.

it looks better (slight changes in the front end apperance)
and its faster.

BSRacer
12-06-2005, 11:35 AM
There are a couple of different jdm CRX. I have the EF8 SiR which is b16a vtec, about 118kw. There is also EF7 which is JDM version of the Si, it's specced about the same as the au version but it has a dif engine, the ZC and puts out 96kw. The AU delivered Si also puts out about 96kw but has d16 and is definatly not vtec. check out http://www.civic4g.com/specs.htm , they have all the civic and crx specs of cars that age, US,AU and JDM.

If you can try and hunt down an SiR, they have the b16a which is the same engine as in VTiR civics. SiR's are only a 2-3 grand more expensive than a low km AUDM Crx, and still cheaper than modified or b16a converted local cars.

Good luck!

Norman

vinhy
12-06-2005, 11:42 AM
also dont the jdm crx have back seats whereas the aus doesnt. and also the jdm does slight changes to the front like z3lda said. the aud has a section on its bonnet sticking out.

BSRacer
12-06-2005, 11:45 AM
SiR and Si (JDM) have rear seats, but are usually complied as 2 seaters. Really the rear seat is a joke, about 2 inches leg room for the passengers. SiR has a different bonnet to help accomodate b16a and bigger headlights.

Jazzle
12-06-2005, 12:44 PM
so only the crx sir has vtec?? im not really concerned about whether they have vtec or not though.. just need to make things clear so i know wat im looking at and i testdrive a car... thanx very much guys... ;)

oh how can i distinguish which engine is which by the look??

UW15HN
12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
http://img145.echo.cx/img145/1747/image0819jm.jpg
this is a SIR JDM crx.. there was one for sale a while back, automatic with vtec and moonroof (but heaps of k's) for $4500

http://img223.echo.cx/img223/2196/10g8lk.jpg
this is a aus delivered crx.. the front end and engine are different
there are heaps around and parts are a plenty

Kawasaki
12-06-2005, 01:45 PM
some JDM crx's are Carbies, id go for the SI with the DOHC ZC

kenshin
12-06-2005, 01:49 PM
those pics dont really show me anything...

they're both so riced up... whats the difference you're trying to point out between the jdm version and the aus delivered one??

"this is a aus delivered crx.. the front end and engine are different
there are heaps around and parts are a plenty"

LOL of course the front end is different... its a riced up front end

tRipitaka
12-06-2005, 01:54 PM
they look the same to me..

garett
12-06-2005, 02:11 PM
yeh someone put up a photo of 2 standard ones so you can tell the difference between the bonnets/ headlights

and the rear lights are different betweeen jdm and audm

vinhy
12-06-2005, 02:12 PM
the first pic is from a jdm and the second is a aus. the jdm has a different bonnet to the aus.
and also the headlights of the jdm is a little bit longer

http://img240.echo.cx/img240/3343/600dsc056462sn.jpg

http://img240.echo.cx/img240/8435/854crxfp8wj.jpg

tRipitaka
12-06-2005, 02:14 PM
i actually like the little bump in the bonnet on the AUDM crx..
it's like a mini XR8

wkd_crx
12-06-2005, 02:15 PM
hrms.. i been looking around for a crx has my 1st car. as the people above had say they are diff all right cause just look carefully with the font end of the car you can tell the diff and de bonnet. and the engine spec.

BSRacer
12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
If i was to buy a crx right now i'd definately get an imported one, lower k's and better specced and STOCK! No ugly body kits or awful chromies.

CTR Coupe
12-06-2005, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't recommend an import. 90% of the imports are full of rust. As for low kms.... Well most people know that they have been sitting in traffic for twice as long as whatever kms they have done.

Only advantage of the imports are the SIR. These come with the 118kw engine.
Be very careful looking at imports make sure you check for rust in the doorsills (the part under the door), hatch area and sunroof for rust.

Also beware of ones with no interior and tears under the pedals these have been used as circuit cars and have had the snot flogged out of them.

Not all imports are superior to the Australian delivered model. There are quite a few Dual carb CRXs floating around these have the 1.5L SOHC motor.

So make sure you know exactly what you’re looking at.

bumography
13-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Apart from the outside there are many more minor differences, speedo, interior bits, door trim, sunvisors lol,
The DOHC non vtec Si JDM version is almost identical to the aus spec Si xcept very minor differences with the engine + ecu, some have a glass roof, rear seats and usually teh jap ones are full of rust because in japan they use salt to clear up their roads..

mr crex
13-06-2005, 02:35 AM
AUSDM Si CRX
DOHC D16A8 1.6L Si Non-Vtec Engine
Items to Note:
"Cam-Gear Lump" on passenger side middle of the bonnet
2Seater, Rear is Storage Compartment, Speedo will read upto 240km/h

JDM Si CRX
DOHC ZC 1.6L Si Non-Vtec
Items to Note:
"Cam-Gear Lump" on passenger side middle of the bonnet *note: some Limited Editions come with SiR bonnet & headlights etc.*
4Seater(rear seats may be removed), Speedo will read upto 180km/h

JDM SiR CRX
DOHC B16A 1.6L Vtec
Items to Note:
Raised centre bonnet, Longer headlights, Wraped Indicator lights in front bumper, VTEC embossed on engine rocker cover, Speedo again reads upto 180km/h

JDM CRX
SOHC 1.5L Carby Non-Vtec
Items to Note:
With this model there are variations, some will have the Si bonnet and headlights, and some *Limited Edition* the SiR bonnet & headlights etc.
again speedo will read upto 180km/h
Engine will have a DUAL-CARB system

I have pics of each on cdr somewhere but will have to find it.

Jazzle
14-06-2005, 09:07 AM
thanx guuys..... one more question.. i just looked at 2 crx yesterday, one jdm si and one aussie si..... the jdm one is really new and things.. and engine only ran about 100,000ks.... but i noticed that the engine of the jdm is noisier/louder than the aussie one i saw which has a mileage of 150,000.... the guy who is selling the jdm one said the engine has a high cam mod in it... is it why the engine is noisier than the other???

z3lda
14-06-2005, 10:07 AM
there was a limited edition version release for the crx. came with 17" chromies and Cyber body kits standard

Setanta
14-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Be careful with the JDM CRXs. You only want to look at the Si or SiR. Rear seat, full glass roof(optional), Different bumpers, spoilers, interior, you name it. Why be careful? Because there are also SOHC and carb versions in Japan.

Setanta
14-06-2005, 11:18 AM
BTW - many EF Civics and CRXs were "facelifted" with the SiR bonnet in '91 - even if they wern't running a B16A. I think the Si was the exception.

Setanta
14-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't recommend an import. 90% of the imports are full of rust. As for low kms.... Well most people know that they have been sitting in traffic for twice as long as whatever kms they have done.

Bullshit. Don't take crap about something you have NFI about.

My 15 y.o. import has zero rust and has never had any. It also now has 291,000kms on the clock - I got it with 140,000. It is still on it's original, unopened B16A and is still going strong. CVs and brakes had to be done, plus a new radiator (stone holed it).

If you research an import properly you will have no problems - and I traced mine back to its original owner in Japan.

To say that 90% are full of rust is a stupid generalisation.

Jazzle
14-06-2005, 02:41 PM
guys... please answer this..

I found a JDM crx si black color.... currenlty around 95,000ks mileage, it has its suspension mod and got a high cam mod.

everything is neat and clean.. car's been kept reallly well and all a little rust under the door., no rattling sounds and still feeling rigid the chassis (i have driven some other crxs, they all feel really old and noisy)....

how much would you guys offer to buy it??? the guy is offering $8500

im really interest in it just that 8500 is not what i can afford :(

mr crex
14-06-2005, 03:32 PM
$8500 in my mind is very reasonable if the crx is in good condition, I would have a professional vehicle inspector look over the car for your though.

garett
14-06-2005, 03:48 PM
yeh for sure, if you cant afford 8500 then maybe you should be looking at something a lot cheaper. i think thats a really good price for what it is. prolly tappets just need adjusting if the engine is noisey, tap tap tap

that black ef8 with the watenabes looks :thumbsup:

CTR Coupe
14-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Bullshit. Don't take crap about something you have NFI about.

My 15 y.o. import has zero rust and has never had any. It also now has 291,000kms on the clock - I got it with 140,000. It is still on it's original, unopened B16A and is still going strong. CVs and brakes had to be done, plus a new radiator (stone holed it).

If you research an import properly you will have no problems - and I traced mine back to its original owner in Japan.

To say that 90% are full of rust is a stupid generalisation.

Almost all of the import CRX's I looked at had either rust in the door sills or the start of rust. Just because you got a good one doesn’t mean that they are all good.

If they have been treated well then yes the B16a and D16a8 will run forever. I’m just saying don't think that low KMs is everything.

Your car was imported how many years ago now?

The latest batch of 15yo CRX’s have been seriously poor quality. You have to be more careful with the imports.

I looked at over 15 crxs when looking for a car. 4 of them imports and all of them some sort of surface rust on the car. Either between the doors, around the hatch or in the sill panels (including one where there was no sill panels only rust)

Also be careful with Australian CRXs with sun roofs they were poorly designed and tend to rust out as well.

One of the best CRX I looked at had 270,000 kms on it. Had no tappet noise, and was really quiet. The compression was 75-100-75-100 so it wasn’t perfect but was a lot better than the rest I looked at.

When you find a car that your serious about have it inspected by a professional.

CRXY01
14-06-2005, 04:33 PM
car's been kept reallly well and all a little rust under the door. I would definitely investigate the rust under the door much further, to see how extensive it is and what repair cost you are looking at.

Setanta
14-06-2005, 05:16 PM
CTR Coupe: My Ef9 has been owned by me for 5 1/2 years now. I have 2 friends in NZ with an EF8 and an EF9 for as long. 3 friends in Vic, 2 with EF9s 1 with an EF8. 2 Friends in Qld with EF8s. 4 in WA, 1 with an EF9, 3 with an EF8. One friend in England with an EF9 AND an EF8 to complement his EE9. One friend in Singapore with an EF9. 2 friends in the US with EF9s and one in Canada with an EF8. One in Malaysia with an EF9 that heads up a ton of EF8s and 9s as a club. Not ONCE have I ever heard of a rust issue with any of them. All are imports from as long ago as 5 years to as little as 6 months. All are on their original motors although mine has the most in the way of kilometers on it out of them all.

I'd guess what you are describing is a CRX issue, not a Civic - but there are a mix of EF8s without it so I don't know.

I think it's better to say that you should always inspect ANY car for rust first - generalising that 90% of imports is just that - a generalisation.

I do know that my EF9 has the standard factory rustproofing - minimal but effective.

CTR Coupe
14-06-2005, 05:21 PM
CTR Coupe: My Ef9 has been owned by me for 5 1/2 years now. I have 2 friends in NZ with an EF8 and an EF9 for as long. 3 friends in Vic, 2 with EF9s 1 with an EF8. 2 Friends in Qld with EF8s. 4 in WA, 1 with an EF9, 3 with an EF8. One friend in England with an EF9 AND an EF8 to complement his EE9. One friend in Singapore with an EF9. 2 friends in the US with EF9s and one in Canada with an EF8. One in Malaysia with an EF9 that heads up a ton of EF8s and 9s as a club. Not ONCE have I ever heard of a rust issue with any of them. All are imports from as long ago as 5 years to as little as 6 months. All are on their original motors although mine has the most in the way of kilometers on it out of them all.

I'd guess what you are describing is a CRX issue, not a Civic - but there are a mix of EF8s without it so I don't know.

I think it's better to say that you should always inspect ANY car for rust first - generalising that 90% of imports is just that - a generalisation.

I do know that my EF9 has the standard factory rustproofing - minimal but effective.

i think its a problem with the design of the standard side skirts. they are hollow pods and the salt from the roads in japan gets up and into these "pods"

Jazzle
14-06-2005, 05:23 PM
that black ef8 with the watenabes looks :thumbsup:

it' not ef8.. it's EF7 instead.... haha sorry for the confusion... it's a Honda CRx Si not SiR

so is it still worth 8500?? :D

BSRacer
14-06-2005, 06:03 PM
The rust is a bit of a worry, have a really good look at it. I think 8500 is a reasnoble price for an Si, JDM or local as long as it's in good condition. SiR are more in the region of $11000 and then some depending on the condition of the car. Also keep in mind it's not a new or even newish car. Gen 2 Crx's were only made from 89 - 91. I'm happy with mine and I have paid much more than 8500 with all of the work i have had to do on mine (but its an SiR :) ). If your brother has his heart set on the car go for it, but remember it's not a new car irrespective of km, so unless you know a lot about cars get an inspection and make sure that it is a fuel injected model, carby cars (generally) use a lot of petrol.

Goodluck!

Jazzle
15-06-2005, 05:04 PM
today i went to his 2nd hand dealership and talked to the salesperson.. they have a 1992 crx which alreayd has a mileage of 16,000ks and then i told him about the 88 jdm crx i saw... his first response was 'it's bullshit... all the japanese imports has their engine mileage changed... never trust it'

is it true?? im a newbie so dont know if it's real.. so should i believe that the jdm crx i saw really only ran about 95,000ks? =((

Setanta
15-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Of course he said that, because if he didn't, he might lose the sale. It depends on where in Japan the JDM rex was from - in some cases, they move very little due to traffic congestion (not necessarily a good thing). Some do have the odometer turned back. Then again, I know of more than a few Aussie Hondas with their speedos turned back, the RTA never compares the readings on the pink slips.

I suggest a compression check and full inspection before buying either personally.

Setanta
15-06-2005, 05:24 PM
BTW - buy the JDM and sell me the Watanabe rims ;)

Jazzle
15-06-2005, 05:44 PM
thank you so much setanta ;)
but i guess it might be a bit too hard to perform compression checks before i buy the car... dont know who i can get help from and not sure if the owner would let me do it

:(
once again.. tahnk you sooooooooo much

BSRacer
15-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Setanta is right, k's on the clock are no garuantee, if you can't get a compression check get it inspected and take it for a drive. Go with your instincts. While my crx was being complied I was driving a 98 hyundai excel that i borrowed. It had 100,000 k's and is a relatively new car, but it had been thrashed within an inch of it's life, had gearbox problems and was not in very good shape. Just because the car is a bit older and imported doesn't mean its a worse car than a newer local car.

Jazzle
18-06-2005, 10:56 AM
:D finally bought the crx... and just wanna thank u guys for being so helpful

but now we have another problem.. the car needs a service but we dont have the manual or handbook... so we dont know wat parts the car uses.. like sparkplugs etc...

does anyone have ank links for the manual? it's a jdm crx si.... thanx

BSRacer
18-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Got the manual for ef8 and ef6, but sorry not for ef7. What do you need to know? For most things you can just ask on the forums, as for sparkplugs, pull one out and check ;)

ooo and post some pix please

Jazzle
19-06-2005, 06:03 PM
i have found a service manual for it but it's england version.. think it's running the same engine as the aussie one,, think there shouldn't be differences in maintenance right??

haha i will post some later when i can borrow a d cam from my friend.. haha

btw.. my brother's car has got the SiR bonnet.. got that little thing sticking out... so i guess it's a limited edition as mentioned by someone????

if so... wat year is the car? haha coz we dont know wat year model the car is hhaha

BSRacer
19-06-2005, 08:13 PM
the little bump in the bonnet is not SiR. If it's a recent import it's most likely 1989

mr crex
20-06-2005, 12:56 AM
I used that UK version of the manual for all the years I owned my crx and helped out immensly, both the normal crx manual and the sir supplement.

BSRacer
20-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, I have that. I can email it to you jazzle if you're interested. Just pm me with your email.

Setanta
21-06-2005, 10:20 AM
BSRacer: you have the JDM EF8 in pdf format? I could only find the EE8 version.

BSRacer
21-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Only got 1990 ee8 but it's the same car just a different code. Only differences I am aware of between ef8 and ee8 are rev/speed limit and interior. Powerplant and everything else is exactly the same. I've got ef6/7 full manual (body, engine interior etc) between the two of them it's basically all covered.

Setanta
21-06-2005, 10:43 PM
EE8/EE9 B16As only produced 150bhp compared to the EF8/EF9 B16As which produced 160ps. EE8s also got a nice leather interior. :)

BSRacer
22-06-2005, 10:01 PM
That's just tuning tho. If you want to fix stuff the manuals I've got'll do the job. Still want?