PDA

View Full Version : Legalities on JDM Gen 2 CRX

madgrk
29-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I want a JDM CRX because they are 4 seater. Apparently a dealer I was talking to said a JDM CRX isnt regarded as a 4 seater only a 2 seater because the rear seats have lap seatbelts not 'proper' ones. Is this correct? Can someone please confirm this? Assuming you have a JDM I mean. If no one can properly clarify i'll have to call Vic Roads to confirm. Don't want to run the risk of having people in the back without ADR approval..

Thanks
Theo :D

Setanta
29-01-2004, 05:29 PM
The seats are not ADR approved. That's why they never came out in the Australian market (or the US and Europe).

If you wan't the back seat, just get the seat itself and put it into an Aussie CRX which is ADR approved - it is pretty much a bolt in fit with a few minor mods. What's better is you can bolt the ED (Aussie) panals back in if you want later.

Persoanlly, having seen a JDM glasstop Si with them in it, I'd never put my kids or anyone else in them - they won't save a life in a crash.

I'm guessing you're in Vic or Qld as you can get hold of "rebuild" rex's - be warned that they are not complied.

Cheers

Toby
29-01-2004, 08:13 PM
are all the jap crx 4 seaters??

crx2gen
29-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Setanta makes a good point about the safety...I'm wrangling the purchase of a rolled CRX and had there have been a back seat and passengers, they probably would have died. From the B pillar back is a mangled mess, but forward of the B pillar is virtually untouched.

madgrk
29-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Setanta, the JDM CRX came with rear seats, and anchor points. Therefore wouldnt it be far more simple to just put them in on that? The person I am "buying" the car from is offering me the actual belts too, since they came with the car. I don't see the point in getting an AUDM then buying rear seats etc etc, the JDM would be the same to me. I'm not following how an AUDM can be ADR approved for rear seats but the JDM cant. I hope i'm making sence, but JDM's really do come with rear seats! That is the main reason for me looking for a JDM, not an AUDM.

Please continue to share your thoughts though, as they are interesting and COULD prove to cost me less in the end (By buying an AUDM) :)

Theo

Setanta
29-01-2004, 10:36 PM
madgrk: I know they came with rear seats, that's what I said :)

Whichever track you take, the seats will not meet ADRs. But with the Aussie spec (ED) then everything ele will meet ADRs.

JDM CRXs are generally brought into the country under "rebuild" loopholes in some states, but they are not complied to meet ADRs. That is, the fuel filler, rear mirrors, windshield, fluids AND all seatbelts that came from Japan do not meet ADRs. I know this for a fact, I own a JDM Civic. Plus they lack child restraint mounts which are mandatory, even if you don't have kids.

What I had to do in regards to seatbelts was to replace them with Aussie spec ones - likewise the windshield. I then put an Aussie spec "unleaded" fuel filler pipe in and changed the rear mirrors for rego (but I switch back to them for everyday driving as once you get used to cars seeming further away than they are, they remove the blindspot on EFs).

Now: the easy part with me is that everything is interchangable with the Aussie spec ED Civics from the dashboard back. Which meant that I could go to Aussie belts. But the Aussie ED CRXs don't have these belts because the rear-seat doesn't exist in them. You see the problem?

This means nothing until the one time that you get pulled over and then asked for your compliancing sheet. More to the point, the ADRs are there for a purpose. To make the car safer. The JDM seatbelts are not as safe - and if you look at the structural design of a CRX you'll know why most countries didn't allow a back seat. They don't have the rigidity in the hatch to protect rear passengers that the Civics have in their roof.

The reason I say an ED (Aussie spec) is the way to go is because it fully meets ADRs. If you cop an inspection (it's happened to me in NSW and Vic) and they say your back seat/belts contravenes ADRs then you pull it out and there are no issues. If you have an EF (JDM) CRX then you have to fix everything that doesn't meet ADRs- or in the case of one I saw at Honbits, it gets crushed by the authorities :?

You need to find out if the JDM CRX has been complianced before even contemplating buying it. If it's a "rebuild" then it hasn't been complianced and won't hold the compliance plate. This is a loophole for getting cars into the country and it's closing - what happens to the cars when it closes is anyones guess. Like I said, the majority of JDM 'rexes are rebuilds, especially in Vic and Qld (and WA?).

From what I know of people who have swapped the seats into US EDs, all the mounting points are there already bar two. Even the seat-belt mounting points. It requires two small holes for screws and it bolts up and away you go. This is hearsay however - best is to find out for sure, but the conversion has been done in the US.

Me? I love the 2G CRX, but I'd never trust a human life to the back of one having ridden in a 4 seater. Plus the seats are damn uncomfortable after 5 minutes and leg-space is minimal.

Cheers

madgrk
30-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Hey thanks very much for the informative reply Setanta, really was interesting to find out what could happen to the car etc.

Turns out the CRX is complianced, with newly installed side intrusion bars and everything else to make it ADR approved. The people that are selling it though are selling it without the seatbelts attached, for safety reasons and because they are'nt ADR approved. Should I be only looking for the green plate under the bonnet? Or is there something else too? I think i'll write down the VIN number and give VicRoads a call and ask them if there are any technicalities about the car being registered etc. I dont want to be driving in a car that can only be used for race use etc..

Thanks again for the reply! :D

Theo

Setanta
30-01-2004, 08:06 PM
OK - it should have a blue compliance plate on the firewall - but it ISN'T a plate like the one on Aussie spec cars.

The car will have been issued with a new VIN by your roads authority that matches this plate. If the VIN on the papers starts with "EF" then it has not been complianced.

What year is it? The reason I ask is that new info has come to light on importing and compliancing cars. First, the car has never been on the import lists so it didn't come in the way R32s etc did. If it's an '88 'rex then it may have just come in under the 15 year rule - but I have just found out the govt. is blocking post-'89 cars soon. If it's an '89 it might just slip in, it depends on how long its been complianced.

That leads to two other methods:

Owned and imported by someone who has immigrated. This is legal

or

If the new VIN starts with REBUI then it's a rebuild. This is OK in Vic for now - but I'll be interested to see when the federal govt cracks down on cars brought in this way. It was a state govt loophole that got them in, but the fed govt can overide this if they see fit.

If it's legit, the new VIN (not the one starting with EF) MUST be stamped on the chassis as well as being on the compliance plate. That plate will be issued by an accredited importer and their company name will be on it. Contact them and make sure it's all legit. If you cannot find this plate and they can't get a new one for it then you are taking a huge chance.

BTW - what spec is the 'rex? Si or SiR? Or one of the carbed versions?

Hope this all helps

Cheers

madgrk
31-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Its an '88 Si 1.6 DOHC blah blah you know the drill :P

I'm not too sure whether the car had or didnt have a compliance plate WITH EF or not on it, I think i'm going to take your option and just stick a rear seat in an AUDM or something. OR continue looking for one that I know is well and truely allowed on the road.. This car is sounding to have more problems than a 90 y.o with M.S :?

The hunt continues..

Theo

bumthology
16-04-2004, 05:22 PM
ok
couldnt be bothered reading all of that,
but i'm trying to help my mate out with his crx..
its very tough now, as ADR inspectors here in adelaide are finding ANY excuse for not complying an import (cos theres just too many, not good for the aussie car market)
Anyways the seats were taken out and hte aussie spec rear panel was put in at the compliance place.. everything has been turned to stock like it came from the factory.
There was a Nissan silvia here, that was completely bone stock! the ADR inspectors looked everywhere to find faults, and in the end, they simply didnt pass it, and said it needed a wheel alignment.. =\

ts0nda
17-04-2004, 08:52 AM
just wondering how come you want the seats in the back of a crx? jdm factor? or you gonna squeeze two fat ****s in the back and bog your car down like fck??

toE
17-04-2004, 01:38 PM
theo's gonna b bringing the ladyz for us to meets y0!! :lol:

SIKCVC
17-04-2004, 01:50 PM
With the CRX 2+2 all you'll fit is 5 year olds :P hahaha like your idea of bitches hahaha.

Just kiding but seriorsly tight fit, that was the clincher for me and getting an Si civic. I saw a 2+2 crx and said FARK DAT... funny thing is now I vert rarly have rear passengers. Like maybe once every 2 months at the most.

Have fun with it Theo, still doing the Engine Swap? or sticking with the ZC?

SIKCVC
17-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Ok serious post this time. Dude read it coz I've been there done that!!!

If it's legit, the new VIN (not the one starting with EF) MUST be stamped on the chassis as well as being on the compliance plate. That plate will be issued by an accredited importer and their company name will be on it. Contact them and make sure it's all legit. If you cannot find this plate and they can't get a new one for it then you are taking a huge chance.

uummm anyone heard of engerneers???

If you are willing to persue this car ring SEVS first 02 9633 6333 they will tell you the vehicle status apon entry to the country. If it was imported as a wreck (more than likly) then ring vic roads and ask if it has an engerneers for the "front cut", if its there then ask for any other conditions, it states what it had etc. VERY simple stuff take you maybe 30+ mins to go through. If theres no engerneers piss it off and look elsewhere.

madgrk
17-04-2004, 04:40 PM
erm this thread was made about 5 mths ago lol.. ive already organised for an eg6 to be in my driveway.. deposit will be laid down soon

SIKCVC
17-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Sorry dude :P I was sitting here reading it (cos it seems it was refreshed today) and I'm thinking "what the **** is he doing with a CRX if he had a chance of getting an EG6 " :P I thought you'd gone nuts... Oh well good luck with the EG6 you wont regret it, as far as quality of build and features the EG6 is unreal :D