PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Is it worth installing an oil catch can?

aaronng
14-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Hello all, just reading on the TSX forums about oil catch cans. Has anyone installed them? I read that it is not really worth putting it in NA cars, but after seeing this pic, TSX after 120 miles (192km) (http://www.designenergy.com/jtso/Images/Catch%20can/Oil%20collected.JPG) I am considering installing one.

Also, my gf's Astra had to have the throttle body and injectors cleaned after 45000km, because there was gunk built up. Throttle response was slow, and injectors were dripping fuel if the line had slight pressure after the engine was shut off. The car would start and run on 3 cylinders until the plugs became dry! Cost $180 to clean! Spending $100 ($60 on ebay) on this, and installing it might prevent any headaches.

flipmods
14-06-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't think it is worth installing as the vacume from the intakeis required for your engine to function the way it was designed to. If you service your car regularly then there will be no issus with gunk build up in your throttle body.

aaronng
14-06-2005, 04:58 PM
I don't think it is worth installing as the vacume from the intakeis required for your engine to function the way it was designed to. If you service your car regularly then there will be no issus with gunk build up in your throttle body.
The vacuum is still maintained. It is just an inline oil catch. Doesn't vent to atmosphere.

The car was serviced regularly, per Holdens schedule... Still, it had the problem around 35000km, where it wouldn't start. NRMA came, and had to crank it for over 30 seconds (ouch!), before it started. There was heaps of smoke coming out of the exhaust at first and the engine was vibrating because it was running on 3 cylinders. I think this is a design issue, and not avoidable with the current servicing schedule.

Catcha
14-06-2005, 05:04 PM
If you not going to track your car, it's pointless really

aaronng
14-06-2005, 05:07 PM
The pic I posted was from a TSX that drove 120 miles (192km) after installing the catch can. Driven normally just to test, no tracking. He might have driven it hard. I'm sure the oil will condense when the air-oil mixture touches any surface. If that surface is on my throttle body, that that can't be good.

The Astra's problem was a case where the car was driven normally by a female driver, without exceeding 4000rpm AT ALL! I think it is a problem with the ECOTEC engine's design.

dundas
14-06-2005, 05:27 PM
hey im gonna put one in my car man.. i just need to buy more tube/pipe watever u wanna call it- as da stuff it came with does not reach.. plus i dont know too sure of where i am suppose to connect the lines to LOL- need pics or diagrams direct for the accord (CD1994 series)

^_^