PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] DC Header - Arrived

Matell
14-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Well I received my DC Header today from Wholehyper in the US (trader on tsxclub.com). He shipped via USPS at my request which made this an absolute steal at around $500AUD delivered.

If I can squeeze a dyno run in on Friday to get another baseline before this install I will. Otherwise I'll install it within the next few weeks.

Not sure if its the "fixed" version that's supposedly rectified the cracking at the flex pipe problem. The sticker says 31st May 2005 so I would've though so. If not weld time :)

http://img246.echo.cx/img246/6016/box4fo.jpg

http://img246.echo.cx/img246/8186/img2938sml4py.jpg

http://img246.echo.cx/img246/2404/img2941sml7td.jpg

http://img246.echo.cx/img246/8956/img2944sml8ry.jpg

albii
14-06-2005, 08:16 PM
nice matt..i wish i had the guts to buy it too...i worry about warranty though.

EuroAccord13
14-06-2005, 08:19 PM
You have PM!!! :D

Matell
14-06-2005, 08:38 PM
nice matt..i wish i had the guts to buy it too...i worry about warranty though.

Even though I paid the extra for an extended warranty I decided a while ago to hell with it. I've followed the guys in the US who mod their TSX, and so far no one's had any warranty issues with their mods. It's not to say it won't happen, just that so far the statistics indicate it's very unlikely which is good enough for me! :)

Besides I can always return it to stock if need be and if I decide to sell.

PNR888
14-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Good on ya Matt.

is that same as baboo's?

Matell
14-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Good on ya Matt.

is that same as baboo's?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo :) Baboo's is JDM stainless steel that's top quality all over! It's an M-Bit and every weld is a work of art, when it was new you could probably have hocked a lugie into it and it would've slipped out the bottom and landed on your foot. lol. Not to mention you could buy 4, maybe 5 DC Headers for the price.

euro77
14-06-2005, 09:53 PM
looks nice. Make sure you take pics as you install them. are you going to install them yourself or get someone to do it?
would be good to have a dyno before and after, just to see what difference it makes. Too bad euro is tempramental on dyno :(

Matell
14-06-2005, 10:08 PM
looks nice. Make sure you take pics as you install them. are you going to install them yourself or get someone to do it?
would be good to have a dyno before and after, just to see what difference it makes. Too bad euro is tempramental on dyno :(

I will be doing before and after dynos, but they'll be at least 1 week apart, so as is usual they can't be read into too deeply. I'm of two minds at the moment. I'd prefer to install it myself, but I also need to go to an exhast shop to have them add a weld bead around the inside just incase, and also fabricate a matching flange for a future direct swap high flow cat. So going by that logic I should just get them to install it.

m'eh....I'll see which way I'm motivated on the weekend :)

Pum[Z]
14-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Nice Matell...

The DC Sports Header is definetly value for money. As for Baboo's Header that is a masterpiece in its own right... As can be seen by how much it costs...

Tell us how it goes with the DC sports... Coz if it does go good... Thats gonna be my next mod with a full custom exhaust....

euro77
14-06-2005, 10:13 PM
PM nick, he knows exactly where the weld of the updated version is. He'll be able to tell you if you got the first version or the updated ones.

Ferrarista
14-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Rather n00bish question here, what kind of power increase are you looking at?

euro77
14-06-2005, 10:22 PM
proly around 5-6 kw, could be a tad more

Matell
14-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Pum[Z], of course as is usual I'll give a little review on my thoughts about it and pass it on.

euro77, sadly I think from following the TSX threads on another forum I tend to think it does need the weld, though I could be wrong. They have done a good weld job on the outside of the flex pipe section to flange, so maybe improving the quality of that weld was sufficient. Oh and nick want's one, surely you've got paypal ;)

Ferrarista, noobish questions are always good. At this stage I don't know, several more hp I imagine at best, however power deliver should be smoother from low rpm to redline. :xfingers:

EuroAccord13
15-06-2005, 12:17 AM
It's about 5HP @ the wheels for the DC Sports.. and it's measured in SAE measurement AFAIK so it might read a little less on our local dynos....

EURO-R
15-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Nice!! wanna know more installation detail .

learner
15-06-2005, 02:14 AM
tats very nice Matell... good luck on the installation : )

stephen8512
15-06-2005, 07:10 AM
oooooh nice stuff mattell!!!
besides build quality, is there anything else much diff. to the comptech headers? (besides it being stainless steel and teh D2 being ceramic)?

blkeuro
15-06-2005, 09:31 AM
very nice matell... can't wait for your dyno..

jolt
15-06-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm waiting for my DC Sports headers to clear customs but hopefully I'll have them before the weekend and be fitting them then. I plan to attempt to fit them myself and will most likely take a few photo's but the guides on http://tsx.acurazine.com/ are very detailed and probably better than what I could put together.

Baboo's headers are known most commonly as Maxim Works. I have a set fitted to my MX5 and they truly are a work of art. Here's some photo's of mine when they first arrived before being fitted.

http://www.prosperion.com.au/maximworks/

The flanges are billet stainless steel and the welds and bends are impeccable. There are lots of close-up photo's on that site.

DC Sports headers are a bargain though at a fraction of the cost and seem to do a pretty good job based on the information available on http://tsx.acurazine.com/.

EuroAccord13
15-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Indeed the MaximWorks are works of Art when it comes to headers, their quality, build and finish is unsurpassed.. But what about the net gains at the wheels?

With a MW set, you could have purchased at least 4 sets of DC Sports headers. Also that, DC Sports uses Mild Steel (Which will rust) but is Ceremic Coated but once scratched, I'd be worried.

CompTech ones being Stainless Steel will naturally cost more.

As for the DC Sports ones for the Euro, it's an entry level system that is both affordable and with proven gains, minus their earlier cracking problem heeheeheeh...\

With reference from Matell, I'm also giving the seller an email to purchase one too and I'll try to do a DIY install on it when it arrives :D

BLKCRX
15-06-2005, 11:41 AM
For the Price the headers are ok.. but from my testing so far.. hmm there are better options ...darn i love the euro ;-) lots of hidden power from cams, headers, tuning.. or even supercharging them ;-)

EuroAccord13
15-06-2005, 11:49 AM
For the Price the headers are ok.. but from my testing so far.. hmm there are better options ...darn i love the euro ;-) lots of hidden power from cams, headers, tuning.. or even supercharging them ;-)

I'm following up on Skunk2 Cams.. Are they good :D? Or you guys have something better :D...

Matell
15-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Well just following up thanks to the opinions of the guys in the US, these are infact the "fixed" version. The ceramic coating is a pain. When I took them out of the box I noticed a few little nicks on one of the pipes of the 4-2 section. It came from the way DC packs them into the box with only folded cardboard keeping the plastic bagged 4-2, and 2-1 sections apart. There's also an area on the 2-1 section bend that looks to have hard some of the coating rubbed off against the inside of the bag. There is coating there it's just thinner than everywhere else. It's to be expected from the way they're packed, so I thought DC may've used a little more common sense and surrounded them in foam, or air cell packaging. I'll probably give the areas a light touch up with some matt silver high temp brake paint overspray unless advised otherwise.

jolt
15-06-2005, 12:38 PM
For the Price the headers are ok.. but from my testing so far.. hmm there are better options

What headers would you recommend for the greatest gain on the Euro?

thanks
Rod

blkeuro
15-06-2005, 02:00 PM
What headers would you recommend for the greatest gain on the Euro?

thanks
Rod

My money's on the toda headers...whenever they come out :p

jolt
15-06-2005, 02:49 PM
The Toda headers are as out as they're ever going to be ...
http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/product/parts/ex_mani/cl7.html
http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/new/2005-cl7.pdf

Yes they're for the CL7 Euro R with the K20A, but they'll fit with very minor modifications and work equally well in conjunction with the CL9 Accord with the K24A.

You'll need deep pockets but the Toda and Maxim Works headers are widely regarded as being the best two header options available.

regards
Rod

Matell
15-06-2005, 08:46 PM

You're a bloody tease James! ;) :thumbsup:

jl88rl
16-06-2005, 01:48 AM
So $500 is a bargain? How much normally would u pay for jsut those few pipings?

Matell
16-06-2005, 11:18 AM
I said under $500...if you want to be exact it was $460AUD delivered. Considering the same item ranges from $265USD on ebay to $434USD MSRP, then add UPS/FedEx onto that of approx $105USD as none of them are likely to ship USPS.

Then consider the only other headers available for the CL9 is Comptech, which is almost double the price with slightly less gains, but made of stainless steel, and OBX which is also stainless steel and clone of the DC header but cheaper and with questionably worse quality. The OBX was too much of a gamble as it's an unknown and unreviewed quantity.

The other options are JDM headers for the CL7 from Maxim Works (M-Bit), TODA etc which require modification to fit and are $1500AUD+ for what amounts most likely to similar gains but with superior quality.

No GST or Customs duty had to be paid.

That makes it a bargain in my opinion.

jolt
16-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm paying A$550 for them through Online Performance. They had to order them in from the US as well.

The only reason I went with them was because they will honour the DC Sports warranty on the extractors which I thought might come in handy given their track record in the US.

I also told them upfront to ensure that they were the updated version with the extra welds so if they're not then I won't be paying a cent for them!!

Rod

baboo
16-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Whao matt, I was offline for a few days and you got the DC header already!! and Rod too!! woohoo~

When are you guys going installing it? are you fitting with aftermarket hi flow cat or mod the exisiting cat?

Matell
16-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey Steve, thought you'd been quiet for a while!

I'm planning on installing the header myself this weekend. I haven't got a Cat sorted yet, so I'll be retaining the OEM cat and reinstalling my modified heat shield. Now I've got a template from which to make the Honda flange the plug and play high flow metal cat will not be too far away.

EuroAccord13
16-06-2005, 10:25 PM
I'm joining the DC Sports BandWagon too HEEHEEHEE! Ordered mine too :D

jl88rl
16-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Wow, few weeks ago it was CAIs now headers. Gotta catch up quick!

Matell
16-06-2005, 11:41 PM
I'm joining the DC Sports BandWagon too HEEHEEHEE! Ordered mine too :D

Awesome!. Glad you must've managed to work something out with Norm ;)

VirIIx
17-06-2005, 09:25 AM
from what i can gather, these dc headers 'will not' affect our warranty?

jolt
17-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Mine isn't here just yet, it's been held up at Customs apparently so no DC-Sports-headers-joy for me this weekend. :(

Does a high flow cat make much difference in our car?

Will the DC Sports headers bolt up to the standard cat?

thanks
Rod

jolt
17-06-2005, 10:14 AM
from what i can gather, these dc headers 'will not' affect our warranty?

Don't presume that just because you read on the US websites that their warranty isn't affected that ours won't be either. They have very different policies to Honda Australia.

The best rule of thumb is so long as the headers can't be blamed directly or indirectly for whatever may go wrong with your car, then it should be fixed under warranty.

Rod

VirIIx
17-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Well i know that's the case in the US, and i personally think it would affect warranty here. Anything you seem to do to your car seems to have some negative feedback from Honda when it comes to warranty.

'The best rule of thumb is so long as the headers can't be blamed directly or indirectly for whatever may go wrong with your car, then it should be fixed under warranty.'

Those bastards would try and do anything to put blame on ANY aftermarket product. That's the impression i got when i pointed out that their prices for their crappy clutch was BS, and that i could get a nice aftermarket one which could do i'm sure confidently a better job.

So in some areas i'm still a bit cautious before i put this and that in the car :) which is somewhat understandable.

But thanks for the feedback!

TypeG
17-06-2005, 11:36 AM
good value and nice finish

kam
23-01-2006, 08:19 PM
hey to all the people with the DC sports header

how are you finding it? is it worth installing on an auto Euro ?

I found a US seller who has the injen cai US$219.24 (290.969 AUD) and the DC sports header US $278.55 (369.705 AUD). Are these good prices for the items? not including postage of course, which would be around $100 or less im assuming. so a total of US$497.79 (660.742 AUD)

edit:

Shipping to Other country: $200 S&H and $10 insurance fee required. Import tax may apply, but item will be shipped as a gift if requested.

dam thats a lot, pushes the total up to around $800, whereas this ebay australia seller is selling them both for $899 inc postage, mite as well pay the $100 and avoid all that hassle that comes with importing product?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4576213127&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Matell
23-01-2006, 10:06 PM
hey to all the people with the DC sports header

how are you finding it? is it worth installing on an auto Euro ?

I found a US seller who has the injen cai US$219.24 (290.969 AUD) and the DC sports header US $278.55 (369.705 AUD). Are these good prices for the items? not including postage of course, which would be around $100 or less im assuming. so a total of US$497.79 (660.742 AUD)

edit:

Shipping to Other country: $200 S&H and $10 insurance fee required. Import tax may apply, but item will be shipped as a gift if requested.

dam thats a lot, pushes the total up to around $800, whereas this ebay australia seller is selling them both for $899 inc postage, mite as well pay the $100 and avoid all that hassle that comes with importing product?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4576213127&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Not sure about on an auto as mine was on a manual. Gains are only felt above 3000rpm or so, and below that it looses a bit of torque compared to standard. The engine does spin up and gain revs more freely however, and I've been too lazy/never got around to dynoing mine before it broke.

Which brings me onto my next point.....quality....I've decided if I could do it again I wouldn't buy the DC Header.....hissing is a little annoying even once you've grown used to it....flex pipe is too short, which in my case lead to the flex pipe cracking...resulting in a leak and faulty primary A/F sensor. Yes it was a "fixed model" and didn't have an issue with the flange coming away from the flexpipe...the flex pipe was just too short and not flexible enough.

As for the price I got my Injen for less than that as it was shipped through a friend via USPS. Ask the seller if they'll ship via USPS, it's cheaper, and more often than not it only takes a few days longer. Due to the wonderful free trade agreement anf the fact both these product's are Made in the USA you won't have to worry about most of the fees. I for one have never had to pay any further charges.

kam
25-01-2006, 04:10 PM
hello. i emailed the seller and asked him how much just for the CAI, and he said $399, thats inc postage. is that good price you reckon ?

Matell
25-01-2006, 07:02 PM
hello. i emailed the seller and asked him how much just for the CAI, and he said $399, thats inc postage. is that good price you reckon ?

If it's AUD, yep.

hengis
26-01-2006, 08:03 PM
i got the injen cai for my 06 euro delivered from wholehyper for 235 US including shipping when he had the sale, not sure if its still on.. that was a few weeks ago

that came to about close to 300 bucks only

i have an auto lux and performance wise... i definately notice a bit more oomfff....

the tyres also do a little skip when u floor it from standing, but the sweetest thing is that deep growl which is very very loud, and people tell me they expect to see a type R roaring down the street not a euro lol

lastly... on the topic of fees and duty and import taxes...
if the items u purchase are 1000AUD or more you will get taxed. at 1000 bucks roughtly your looking at being taxed ~270 bucks more.
so make sure you organise with the seller to get.. ah.. how should you say.. things altered to ensure you don't pay extra taxes if you purchase anything worth over 1000AUD.

shipping items seperately should be another good way i reckon

stephen8512
27-01-2006, 08:24 AM
the tax, im not so sure about because i didnt get taxed at all when i had my greddy EVO2 shipped from the states. and taht cost me 1200AUD. Maybe i was lucky? i dunno. but i know for sure i didnt get taxed

The injen, i got for 214 USD, which came to about 350 or somethin from memory incl. shipping.
me and timbo (perth_euro) got it from the same guy. KURUMA MOTORING on EBAY.
Very happy with this mod. sounds so mean!!!! lol my friend thought it was a rexy hooning down the street when i redlined it.
you will not be sorry when u install this mod. however, beware of this one bolt holding the resonator in place when u go about removing the OEM air filter and resonator. that one little bolt is a real PITA.

kam
27-01-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks for all your feedback guys :)

i found the ebay seller karuma motoring, heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INJEN-RD-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-04-05-ACURA-TSX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8032581 184QQrdZ1

201.60 USD= 268.051 AUD. plus postage of course, still, out of all the sellers, thats the cheapest ive seen in Injen CAI go for. thanks stephen 8512

Also, what color did you guys get?
polished silver
http://www.kurumamotoring.com/image/injen/injen_polished.jpg
or
powercoated black
http://www.kurumamotoring.com/image/injen/injen_black.jpg

and, did you guys have it in short ram , or full cai mode? thanks heaps :D

Sulley
27-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I got mine from Kurama motors as well, didnt have to pay any taxes. THey seem pretty realible.
but you might wanna try www.TsxParts.com
he's selling it for $235 shipped which is a excellent price.

most of the guys around got it in silver, myself included.

most of them run it CAI as well.

i did the install myself so few tips.

Its heaps easier if you remove the front bumper as there's is a bolt near the back of the foglight thats a PITA if you just try and reach in to undo it.

when you reroute the coolant line, becareful as it might be hot and spilling about, get a towel to pick up the spilt coolant.

I've driven through heavy rain and its fine, i try to roll over puddles of water though. I've got one of those AEM bypass valve that is suppose to protect the CAI from hydro-locking the engine but have yet to fit it on. Or you can get the Injen hydro shield if you're paranoid.

kam
27-01-2006, 06:24 PM
i remember reading that short ram is louder than full CAI, is this true ?

and what about the greddy exhaust, is that loud? and does it sound 'nice' or bad?

stephen8512
28-01-2006, 03:53 PM
SRI is louder than CAI but it still has the nice deep rumble growl. my friend thinks it sounds like a rexy boxer. lol.
i got the full polished chrome from KURUMA MOTORING on ebay.
GREDDY EVO2 exhaust sounds sweet. not farty at all and from all the feedback ive heard, i hear nothing but praises for it.
Hahaha yes yes, i have this at home too and will install it in 1-2 weeks time and WILL do a review. promise :D

TypeG
28-01-2006, 06:16 PM
$235 shipped for the Ingen CAI?

I got mine from Kurama motors as well, didnt have to pay any taxes. THey seem pretty realible.
but you might wanna try www.TsxParts.com (http://www.tsxparts.com/)
he's selling it for $235 shipped which is a excellent price.

most of the guys around got it in silver, myself included.

most of them run it CAI as well.

i did the install myself so few tips.

Its heaps easier if you remove the front bumper as there's is a bolt near the back of the foglight thats a PITA if you just try and reach in to undo it.

when you reroute the coolant line, becareful as it might be hot and spilling about, get a towel to pick up the spilt coolant.

I've driven through heavy rain and its fine, i try to roll over puddles of water though. I've got one of those AEM bypass valve that is suppose to protect the CAI from hydro-locking the engine but have yet to fit it on. Or you can get the Injen hydro shield if you're paranoid.

stephen8512
28-01-2006, 06:24 PM
read that carefully dude.
he says "235 shipped"

Sulley
28-01-2006, 08:21 PM
USD $235 SHipped to australia!

TypeG
29-01-2006, 01:06 AM
yes i know but i was wondering was that for Ingen CAI or short ram

coz i got told it cost $4XX

read that carefully dude.
he says "235 shipped"

Sulley
29-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Its for the whole Injen CAI.

I got mine for around $390 AUd shipped.
but www.tsxparts.com is having an Offer. THink its ending soon.
so you might wanna get it fast for USD$235 shipped.

stephen8512
29-01-2006, 04:36 AM
the injen is convertible to short ram as well
its like the K&N typhoon where u can choose short or full extension CAI

TypeG
29-01-2006, 11:19 AM
that's cheap

TypeG
29-01-2006, 12:39 PM
I have played around the shopping cart system on tsxparts but I got a price for USD$190(ingen)+180(shipping) which is close to $500 AUD
just wondering how do you get quote from them for $380 shipped

Sulley
29-01-2006, 01:30 PM
got 4 options
1. Process the order thru the website www.tsxparts.com, ingnore the final price you will only be charged what is stated here in this thread.
2. Email me at sales@tsxparts.com let me know you are interested and leave your phone number and I will call you back.
3. Call our shop 626.968.5608 ask for Norm and I will take your phone order.
4. Paypal the total amount to wholehyp@hotmail.com state you are buying the injen intake for the TSX in the comments section.

offer runs out january.

kam
30-01-2006, 10:52 AM
so sulley works for tsx parts ey ?

TypeG
30-01-2006, 11:45 AM
no he is not
i thought he was b4
lol

stephen8512
30-01-2006, 12:11 PM
i can vouch for NORM (known as wholehyper on tsx forums)
i bought the greddy evo2 exhaust from him and extra nice guy!
paid via paypal too. took about 5 days for e-cheque to clear and another 1 week for the goods to arrive via freight with BAXGLOBAL.
ask for a tracking number and ring baxglobal when norm gives u the thumbsup that the goods are here

Sulley
30-01-2006, 12:53 PM
so sulley works for tsx parts ey ?
haha,
i cut and pasted that few lines. Shoulda quoted it.

I wish i worked for them...so i could get cheaper parts!