PDA

View Full Version : Boston Z6 Vs Focal Utopia Beryllium

ITRBoI
14-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Ok here goes, i've currently have the boston Z6 splits in my itr, and I'm looking at upgrading to the Focal Utopia Beryllium 6" component,. Now my question is that have anyone got one of these install into their car ( the focal).

At the moment the boston sounds AWESOME, but I don't know if I should do the upgrade or not, simply because I have not heard what the focal sounds like. Any input is much appreciated. I heard the Focal Utopia Beryllium are suppose to be the best, but i dont want just any recommendation, i need prove. Facts and figure dont do anything for me, so if anyone have the Focal Utopia Beryllium please let me know, as im indeed of advice. Even if anyone the Focal 165K2P and can give me a little review on them is also good too.

Heard that the Focal 165K2P are just as good as the Boston Pro Series.

So any help would be much appreciated

tegboy
14-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Honestly man.. speakers are a very subjective thing. I had a set of Focal Utopia 3-ways and honestly I hated, hated them with a passion. Swapped to the BA Pro's and have never looked back.

I find the Focals, very harsh and painful to listen to...

Good luck

ITRBoI
14-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Honestly man.. speakers are a very subjective thing. I had a set of Focal Utopia 3-ways and honestly I hated, hated them with a passion. Swapped to the BA Pro's and have never looked back.

I find the Focals, very harsh and painful to listen to...

Good luck

you sure is the same series im talking about hrere??? the 6" component set is 3799 and the 6" and 3" 3-way component is 4649. I hope you are talking about the same one, i know money is not the issue here, but i was told it's the best quality splits.....

micka
14-06-2005, 09:57 PM
you're not going to get anything really helpful here or anywhere on the net really to be honest. Go find somewhere you can listen to them in person yourself. It's the only way to see if speakers suit you tastes.

ICACHA
14-06-2005, 09:58 PM
the only way you will find out is to listen to them, speak with the guys at fairfield car radios as the owner is the one that imports and distributes focal. he will be your best bet to have a listen to them before you decide to spend the dollars...

ITRBoI
14-06-2005, 10:17 PM
i have but, they dont have one in stock to listen too!!! and plus even if they do, on the board sounds completely different as to in the car!! and of course they are going to say buy this and buy that, come afterall they are all they only want to make a sale.

Even if anyone here have the Focal 165K2P, for me to listen, so that i can judge for myself

chan
14-06-2005, 10:56 PM
try caa for advice.

ITRBoI
14-06-2005, 10:58 PM
try caa for advice.

caa??? whart's that or who's that???

chan
14-06-2005, 11:13 PM
http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/

ICACHA
15-06-2005, 12:06 AM
im on there, and i can tell you that i havent seen anyone thats heard the berillium yet. for the comparisson i'd keep what you got. i got one question, what wrong with the Z6's? they are a fantastic speaker IMO...

[stealth]
15-06-2005, 12:19 AM
im thinking Bostons are the better ones... havent heard those utopias yet tho.. are they a new line?

ICACHA
15-06-2005, 01:54 AM
might be, ive only heard of them in home audio. lenn wallis audio in lane cove has the home ones in the show room and theyre $30,000 a pair :D

ITRBoI
15-06-2005, 09:47 AM
']im thinking Bostons are the better ones... havent heard those utopias yet tho.. are they a new line?

yeah these are the new line, just came out i think no more than 3weeks ago

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/

as i said i need prove not just facts.

The boston are good but i just want to bring the quality and clarity to another level, and has been recommended the Focal, but as I'm ew to the focal brand i dont want to jump into the deep end straight away just incase the quality is the same or just a bit better than boston. :D

kousoku
15-06-2005, 09:58 AM
itrboi, just go get yourself some "avi"s they are totatly amazing, true sound reproduciton, you wont regret it. you sound like you are spending the big bucks on them so price should be no problem.

check em out at metro sound ..... enjoy.

ITRBoI
15-06-2005, 10:03 AM
itrboi, just go get yourself some "avi"s they are totatly amazing, true sound reproduciton, you wont regret it. you sound like you are spending the big bucks on them so price should be no problem.

check em out at metro sound ..... enjoy.

yeah i have looked it those AVI speakers too, like them alot but it's a tat over budget heahehaeha, was told AVI are the competition shi*t. Heard that the AVI's are the best on the market. Still doing research on them

ICACHA
15-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Who told you that? Not Hutch at Nth Sydney? :D

The honest truth about the MOST boring speaker that actually put Marty (Fhrx on here) and myself to sleep was the Eton Discovery D160 SQ $1,899rrp. They were that NICE they literally put us to sleep.

I haven't heard the Rainbow Reference, but from what I have heard THEY are the best speakers you can buy for the car. Not cheap starting at $6,888 rrp for the 2ways ACTIVE and going to $10,000 rrp for the 3ways PASSIVE, but from reports I have heard you won't EVER be dissapointed!

Failing that, you might be asking too soon for the Focals due to you knowing now that NO one has heard them in a car. If fairfeild haven't got any in stock or sold any (whether being wholesale or retail) then the chances are that no one is going to tell you what you want to hear. :)

ICACHA
15-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Just heard that the Berillium splits will be arriving in late July and will retails from $3800 for the 2ways and $4649 for the 3ways. :) so finding out what they are like wont happen anytime soon...

ah8118
15-06-2005, 03:56 PM
hmmm focals are ok.. but i reckon the speakers produce very "bright" sound. and they cause music fatigue after some time. but i guess everyone has their own prefernce on what kinda sound they like. personally, i love dynaudio. smooth, crisp and clear. go try them out. i reckon they're really good. just trying to give you another alternative. :)

[stealth]
15-06-2005, 04:30 PM
yeah.. general thoughts of Focals.. is that they can be a bit too bright... but that might be right up your alley.. so best to audition as many as u can before deciding..

ICACHA
15-06-2005, 06:14 PM
looks like i will be installing a set soon after they arrive. training a must with the frogs from Focal thou...

yes they can be a little bright, just depends on the deck and amps being used. ive heard a set of the old utopias and they sounded fantastic. it might have been the owners combination of products before the speakers. another thing to think of is have the tweeters low down i.e. in the kicks to keep them away from your ears. and another point i would like to make is i gather not many people have taken the time to read up on the network that comes with the berillium's. you can actually adjust every single speaker from the network. not more switches to flick rather than now you get a dial to turn and adjust where you feel the speakers would suit your taste...

have a read, not that hard :D

ITRBoI
16-06-2005, 10:15 AM
so many inputs, thanks guys, but im willing to look at another brand that is better than my boston Z6 at the moment, but i would really like to hear them first before making the decision as to where i went to go, i just want good clear, quality, calrity sound from my system, I'm not into bass whatsoever. The Z6 i have now is great but i think it's time for me to do a little bit of upgrading.

When I said the AVI are competition Sh*t, what i meant was they are the bomb for competition use, im not putting them down i know what they are capable off, just wish that i have $$ to grab them but at the moment i dont.

ICACHA
16-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Take it from me, AVI's are nothing special. Especially for what they cost, I think they are WAY OVER PRICED for what they sound like! :)

aka_NSX
16-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Take it from me, AVI's are nothing special. Especially for what they cost, I think they are WAY OVER PRICED for what they sound like! :)

i'm with u ICACHA :D

[zeth]
16-06-2005, 04:47 PM
How about z6, do yous reckon it's overpriced ?

Javed
16-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I've heard nothing but positive comments on the Rainbow range, however I haven't personally heard them. I personally love Focal speakers, my Poly-K's have kept me extremely happy, and they are no where near your range. Do you mind me asking how much a set of Z6's usually go for?

Cheers,
Javed

ITRBoI
16-06-2005, 11:08 PM
I've heard nothing but positive comments on the Rainbow range, however I haven't personally heard them. I personally love Focal speakers, my Poly-K's have kept me extremely happy, and they are no where near your range. Do you mind me asking how much a set of Z6's usually go for?

Cheers,
Javed

i got them for cheap at the time, about a year ago i paid 1500

micka
16-06-2005, 11:19 PM
I have Rainbow speakers in my car (an older model) and am more than happy with them. I would have no hesitation in buying Rainbow again or reccomending them; However for the amount of cash you have to spend to get them and install the properly, you'd want to have a good listen to anything yourself before you buy.

ITRBoI
16-06-2005, 11:24 PM
I have Rainbow speakers in my car (an older model) and am more than happy with them. I would have no hesitation in buying Rainbow again or reccomending them; However for the amount of cash you have to spend to get them and install the properly, you'd want to have a good listen to anything yourself before you buy.

ow muh you ay forthem if you dont mind me asking

micka
16-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I got them second hand, so they were a lot below retail. I have also heard the rainbow platinum line speakers (friend got them when he was in germany) and they are awesome, imho. RRP for Rainbow CS 275.28 Platinum $3,498.00; CS 265.28 Platinum $2,098.00.
I am not sure of the difference between the two models.

ICACHA
17-06-2005, 12:34 AM
']How about z6, do yous reckon it's overpriced ?

No not really, compare them to other similar priced speakers and you will say that the Z6's are on top.

Just remember these arent speakers that you crank doof doof through. If people can get past the doof doof stage then they will see a whole new world open up to them with QUALITY audio.

There are a few brands that stand out over the rest, which include...

Boston (Pro & Z series)
Rainbow
Morel (Elate series)
Dynaudio
Phass
Eton
Scanspeak
Focal
Phoenix Gold (Titanium series)

and I'm sure there are others out there that I have forgotten to mention...

Also not to forget that certain speakers suit certain genre better than others so brand is one thing to go off, reputation to reproduce the music accurately is another.

It all comes down to what you want out of them and how much you are willing to spend.

Just remember this little saying, "A cheap speaker properly installed will almost always out perform an expensive speaker poorly installed".

The decision is up to you and how deep your pockets are...