PDA

View Full Version : Greddy or drag turbo kit

superR
14-06-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm just posting this in hope that i can get some help choosing a turbo kit to best suit my 2000 Integra Type R. Ive done all of the small stuff , but now i want to get more outta my car with out spending more than $6500
My first choce is the DRAG turbo kit, and my second choice is the Greddy kit which is much easyer to obtain.
Both seem quite good in my eyes.
I plan to add larger injectors and fuel pump run by using the existing V-AFC2 (if at all possible), or upgrade to a hondata.
Im not looking for groundbreaking 1/4 mile times or Kw's, i just want to be able to run in the 13 sec bracket.

Any suggestions?

smoknhothonda
18-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Without being too familiar with either of these two turbo kits for your Teg, I dare say you couldnt go wrong with either of the two.

Generally the Drag doesnt cum with any EMS as such (just a shitty malpassi FMU) whereas the Greddy comes with a piggyback style ECU. From my experience the drag kit has more potential (with an intercooler, bigger tubo etc) whereas in my case the greddy/hks kits are really on suitable for 6-10 psi max whereas up to 20 psi could be achieved with the drag kit without any mods. (providing you have a suitable EMS, and fuel delivery system)

As you stated you only wanted a 13 sec Teg go for the Greddy kit, but if you feel as though you might want to go to a 12 sec 1/4 in the future, the drag would be more suitable in the long run.

By memory AVO in melbourne have a kit for your integra, with a Garret GT28R. They have also had plenty of experience with turboing Type R's, so they might be worthwhile to call

Make sure you let everyone know how your install goes! :thumbsup:

superR
18-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks smoknhothonda,
I just found a kit from here in syd sold by Too fast 2 furious performance
It comes with everything i need except for larger injectors and pump.........
Has anyone heard of this company, supposedly he imports them from america but how do i know if its of good quality?

newmski
18-06-2005, 08:58 PM
your turbo-ing a type-r?
well...if that is what you want i would also suggest AVO
haven't heard of "2 fast.." the name sounds dodgey lol

alan
19-06-2005, 02:50 AM
go to avo to turbo a type r if u want them to rip u a new a**hole

smoknhothonda
19-06-2005, 11:06 AM
I cant say I have heard of the shop you are refering to super R, but I would feel as though you would be best to stick with a drag or Greddy kit. Those two kits are tried and proven kits, and there are plenty of guys on here to help you with installation (Dyno Dave, TODA AU)

What brand is the kit he imports? If he mentions ss autochrome at all, steer clear of these kits!

Check out www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com) under the Forced Induction classifieds section, there are a few traders there selling DRAG kits for 3k plus P&H

Alternatively you can also call croydon racing developements, they have had a few turbo type R's over the years, with plenty of knowledge and know how :thumbsup:

[stealth]
19-06-2005, 01:55 PM
yeah definetely look for a package of some sort. preferabbly locally.. and yeah perhaps AVO...

then come down to SA.. and I have some contacts that can sort u out for installation... no dramas ;)

superR
20-06-2005, 04:06 PM
S.A is a little far for me .... considering i live in sydney.
lol

superR
23-06-2005, 08:39 PM
I think im gonna go the AVO kit ...... its pretty much on par for budget and it is much easyer to get it.
This is an extract from an email i revieved from AVO:

"With the Type R model you will need the stage 2 kit the difference between
the stage 1 & 2 kit is the stage 1 kit runs on a piggy back ecu with an
extra injector and the stage 2 kit runs a full stand alone ecu 4 larger
injectors (500cc) + a larger fuel pump. The type R model needs more fuel &
better engine management as it put's out more power that is why you need the
stage 2 kit.

AVO Stage 2 kit supplied $ 6450.00 kit comes with fitting instructions if
you wish to fit it yourself. Labour cost to fit kit $1050.00. (inc dyno
tuning)

The stage 2 kit puts out 145-155kw's at the wheels with 8psi of boost on the
Type-R models.
The turbo used in the kit is good for up to 200kw at the wheels. Turbo is a
320hp ball bearing unit. for an extra $500 we can upgrade it to a 400hp ball
bearing turbo that is good for 220kw's at the wheels with modified engine
internals."

This is exactly what i need , and its got a proven figure unlike other kits.

smoknhothonda
24-06-2005, 05:25 PM
HMM DAMN 6K HEY!!

What is the stand alone ECU do they supply with the kit?

Im sure you could piece together a custom kit cheaper, but yes the AVO kits are tried n proven.

I presume the kit comes with a FMIC also??

Who are you going to get to install it for you? By memory if you get it installed by AVO, or by an AVO authorised dealer they give you an extra 6 months warranty or so...

Have you sorted out an upgrade for your clutch, and brakes also?

Good luck with it all mate!

DLO01
24-06-2005, 05:30 PM
The Ecu is a stand alone Link Ecu

Yes it does come with a FMIC a pretty decent one at that.

Avo do install and tune if you like. Or get a capable mechanic to do so and dyno tune it somewhere else.

The 320hp turbo is the Garret GT28R.

superR
24-06-2005, 05:47 PM
yeh i already got a toda lightened flywheel and a heavyduty clutch

one more chance
24-06-2005, 07:37 PM
go the AVO at least that way u have local warranty.
other worthy shops are tony rigoli.. they did my DC2 when they had a shop at the gold coast! my cost was more the 6500, but state your budget and im sure theyll do something to accommodate! my advice is to stick with a recognised workshop... rigoli has good reputation and their work was A1!!