PDA

View Full Version : 94 Accord Door Lights

Rico
15-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone has altered there 1994 honda accord door lights. I'm talking about the lights that light up at the bottom of your door when you open your door. I was thinking of replacing the bulbs with like neon blue bulbs to give off a cooler effect, anyone ever thought of doing this? and does anyone know the voltage of those lights?

h22a accord
15-06-2005, 09:19 PM
yeah, i did it once...went to autopro, got the designated bulbs ( green ) and they meleted the plastic covers........bad idea. i replaced the bulbs with standard bulbs and replaced the covers.

ICACHA
15-06-2005, 10:18 PM
im going to use a custom LED setup soon...

Rico
15-06-2005, 10:22 PM
yeah, i did it once...went to autopro, got the designated bulbs ( green ) and they meleted the plastic covers........bad idea. i replaced the bulbs with standard bulbs and replaced the covers.

Shiiit, do you know why's that? I'm really thinking about doing it, just the temperature of the bulbs is one thing to think about.

Benji
15-06-2005, 10:49 PM
I painted my bulbs, blue in the front doors and green in the back.

ICACHA
15-06-2005, 11:35 PM
the reason why h22a accord melted his lens' is that the globe was of a higher wattage...

viperx
16-06-2005, 11:19 AM
make sure the bulbs are 3.4w and you should be fine

h22a accord
16-06-2005, 11:33 AM
yea, thats the last accept the "free" advice from the salesman lol.

the reason why h22a accord melted his lens' is that the globe was of a higher wattage...

ICACHA
16-06-2005, 11:54 AM
it always pays to look at the original globes for wattage ratings :D

Rico
16-06-2005, 01:34 PM
make sure the bulbs are 3.4w and you should be fine

but doesn't the watts affect the colour? as in higher watts gives off a different coloured light? or is it totally unrelated?
Does anyone know where to pick up some of these coloured bulbs in Sydney? or would you find it in any light shop?

viperx
16-06-2005, 03:31 PM
yeah generally the lower the wattage the yellower. but there's nothing you can do about it if you use incandescent - you use a higher wattage, you'll burn something, like h22 did... otherwise see if you can find a white led bulb that fits, that'll be no problems at all

simpdogg
16-06-2005, 08:19 PM
I have green LED lights in all my doors, and the roof lamp as well also the boot but dont do that cos its crap at night time if you need something outof your boot

I bought mine at Autobarn from behind the counter and had no probs

DeSloth
16-06-2005, 08:34 PM
If you know how to use a soldering iron and are ok with really, really basic electronics, you can DIY LEDs very easily. I have 10mm blue LED's illuminating both front footwells as well as an LED added to the courtesy light housing (i.e. as well as the bulb there is an LED.) These will be switched on using the 2nd function of my alarm remote.

So why do I have both lights in there? Because you can see 1/8th of crap-all with LEDs. They just don't give off a suitable spectrum (yes even the white ones).

You will lose a lot of light switching to LED's in your doors, but a few dollars and some time with a soldering iron will easily give you what you're after.

Alternatively, you can buy LED in the correct fitting to just plug in. Jaycar sells them.

Good luck.

dundas
17-06-2005, 01:20 AM
sorry cbf reading through all da posts LOL ^_^ soo lazy--
well just use LED not as bright-- however wont heat up :P
i also used stupid normal coloured bulbs.. looked siick but got bloody hoTTT

ICACHA
17-06-2005, 01:27 AM
If I could only post pics of my parkers, blinkers, reverse and brake lights which are all LED's... Then you guys can judge if LED's are bright or not...

accordBOI
20-06-2005, 10:35 AM
i have done this on my 94 accord, go autobarn and use the autotechnica range of led's their should be 3 led's in each globe. didnt melt anything and lookz craze at night

94_Accord
25-07-2005, 10:13 PM
sounds like a good idea mate, jst make sure the plastic duznt melt..