PDA

View Full Version : 6.5inch into stock DC2 location?

BlakTegra
31-01-2004, 11:48 AM
I've got 6inch atm but thinking of upgrading for more bass upfront.

Does anyone know if a set of 6.5" splits will fit into the Integra DC2 where the plastic bracket in the door panel is located?

vti-2
31-01-2004, 12:12 PM
No. Not without modification. You will need to take out the plastic basket and cut out the back part. You will then need to make a custom MDF bracket and mount that onto the plastic bracket and bolt it all into the door frame. The only problem is that if the splits have big magnets you will need to modify the door skins itself cause the area that covers the speaker will hit the speaker driver when you try putting it back on. I had to do the above for my co-ax's but i was lucky the door skins went back on without a problem.

BlakTegra
31-01-2004, 10:18 PM
hmmm....I've got 6inches in there now. I've already cut the back part of the basket already and the speaker fits in nicely. But if I put in extra MDF, the speaker front might hit the door skin as u said...

I haven't bought the 6.5" yet cuz I just wanna make sure it fits easily without 'major' modifications. Might be possible, just have to be creative I guess. Thanks heaps dude!

vti-2
01-02-2004, 02:22 AM
No probs. Yeah, it's trial and error. :D

Fhrx
01-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Like vti-2 already said, it is easy to fit a 6.5" driver in there once the baffle is made...

But...

Might I suggest that if you're on a tight budget and don't want new speakers, you'll get a lot more bass up front if you sound deaden and diffuse your doors. :):)

BlakTegra
03-02-2004, 10:49 AM
I was thinking of sound deadening a while ago but not many places do it here in Melb. Plus it makes my doors heavy and its already heavy enough as it is!
How much am I expecting to pay for just a basic job?

Fhrx
04-02-2004, 11:20 AM
For both doors to be sound deadened aim for about $200 all up .:)

BlakTegra
04-02-2004, 05:18 PM
So sound deadening should make my crappy Pioneer TS-C1625 (http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/speakers/tsc1625/index.html) 2-way splits sound better? Cuz atm the mids sound really poor...especially in the lower freqencies as apposed to other 6inches out there :(
So you would spend the money on sound deadening rather than a new pair of 6.5inch splits?

XXpl0Sive
04-02-2004, 05:51 PM
You can do it without modification, mine were done without modification by screwing the 6.5's straight onto the stock positions..you will get into some trouble when trying to put stock ones back on..

toE
05-02-2004, 01:24 PM
hey BlakTegra, you want me to SD the doors for ya?? I do it cheap!! ;)

PM me if ya seriously wanna do it.

BlakTegra
05-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Have you sound deaden Integras before? You are pro? How long would it take for two doors?

vti-2
05-02-2004, 09:10 PM
I sound deadened my Integra. Stripped and sound deadened the whole car.

toE
05-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Im not a pro dude. Besides, it's not all that difficult. I dunno how long it'll take me...i guess it depends how many beers i have in da fridge ;) ... hehe..

Nah, seriously tho, i reckon prolly 1-2 hrs maybe...i dunno.

We can both work on it togeder, so you can learn too. Get some satisfaction of doing something to your car ya know??

Fhrx
06-02-2004, 07:06 AM
If I was in VIC I'd come out an lend a hand just for something to do. :)

vti-2
06-02-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm quite happy to help you out BlakTegra, just let me know when you are ready, i know every bolt in the Integra so it's no sweat.

No money required. Just a couple of beers. :D

Javed
06-02-2004, 12:31 PM
I just finished doing a baffle for my focal polykevlar mids, I will try and get a photo for you, I dont have a digi cam :( Anyways it was just mdf, placed the original speaker basket on top, screwed the holes for mounting to the door, then traced the outline of the basket. Then determine centre-ish (:P) draw your circle cut it out with a jigsaw and viola! I was lucky in the sense that my speakers JUST fit without covering the holes to mount the baffle to the door, if they had covered them some imagination would have to be used. So the moral of this story is, depending how big polykevlar mids are compared to others (they seem pretty damn big to me) you should have little worries making a bafle. Now my next challenge is to figure out whether the magnet will hit the door, or the speaker will hit the door grille :P Sorry for the long rambling post, hope it helps tho!

BlakTegra
06-02-2004, 02:58 PM
toeE and vti-R, u guys are unbelievable! I'm gonna have to be cautious in letting you guys anywhere near my car after you guys skull down half a slab each!!!!
LOL

But if you guys can come down to give me a hand it'll certainly be awesome. I just luv doin stuff to my car..ehhehehe
Btw, I'm not a drinker.....I go bright red like a riped tomato :oops:

When are u guys able to help me out? Surely with 3 ppl, it should only take 1 hr max ;) I'm planning to do it really soon...

BlakTegra
06-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Fhrx, come down anyway!!! There's pretty of beer to go around!!!! You can have my share..ahhahhaa

Javed: hope you can get pics up soon, makes it easier to understand what you're saying cuz I'm lost just where the second sentence starts....

Javed
06-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Hahaha, dont blame you for not getting me, nobody does! :P Anyways I got the pics! Here they are:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~loyalea/jav1.jpg
That's the baffle. Notice its shape, takes the overall shape basically of the Honda speaker basket.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~loyalea/jav2.jpg
With my focal sitting inside.

For larger versions of the above pics click on these:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~loyalea/DSC04241.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~loyalea/DSC04242.JPG

Hope these help mate,

Good luck.

PS. I am a very novice woodworker, as you can tell by my baffle, so anybody can do this.

toE
07-02-2004, 01:41 AM
lol BlakTegra...relax...at least you'll noe dat by the time i finsh SD-ing ur doors, you'll noe me betta, have improved your front stage and me pissed :P

hehe...anyways, I'm flat out next week upto the photoshoot day...so, we'll have to make up a time at d meet. Unless Vic aka vti-2 has time next week to give you a hand.

BlakTegra
08-02-2004, 11:06 AM
No worries then, though I do prefer both u guys working on the car together :P We'll do it after the meet then :)

Javed
08-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Bah! I have seemed to hit a snag (sorry for the hijack blaktegra) :( My baffles fit nicely with the magnet clearing the window but it seems that the clips of the door panels grille is JUST touching or 1 mm away from my focals rubber surround :( It is not even the grille its the stupid 2 bottom clips that snap in! Now even if it is just off from the speaker wont it hit it when the speaker moves out? How much do mids move does any1 know? This is really upsetting me now, I am thinking maybe I could use 16 mm MDF instead of the 18 I used but even that wont be enough clearance will it? I will try and get pics to show you what I mean. Cheers guys all help is much appreciated.

Javed

Edit: Is it possible that I could run my speakers with opposite polarities to the speakers move inwards? Or is that a stupid idea?