PDA

View Full Version : wierd Idle! after change of battery!

Qwooootz
16-06-2005, 01:11 PM
i had a flat battery a month ago and had it replaced..! the cars been inactive for the recent weeks due to being sitting on the garage getting its kit done,..

i had problems with idling after the battery was changed.. and i thot the ECU may just need reseting.. so i drove around for hours and it became better again,, but lately its not feeling right.. and seems like it needs a tune up badd!.. ive had cam timing done at hannys but the driving didnt feel this awkward.. sometimes as soon as i start the car the revz will plop down below 1000rpm then jump up again..

is there a possibility that i just need new sparkplugs! or do i just need honda or a mechanic to reboot my ECU..

barefootbonzai
16-06-2005, 01:25 PM
How do you tune your car on a stock ecu?

Setanta
16-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Reset the ECU by unplugging the battery (both terminals) for 10 min (I actually leave mine for 20min). Change the plugs and check the leads for cracking. Fire it up and take it for a sedate drive, town and freeway.

I'd suggest filling the tank to in case moisture has gotten in and also possibly changing the fuel filter. But the latter may not be necessary.

Idle surging... is it surging up and down a few times or all of the time? All of the time might be a vacume hose or the EACV or FIV.

Qwooootz
16-06-2005, 08:05 PM
hrmmm it doesnt do it as much anymore maby its because its been stagnant for the last 3 weeks and the people didnt warm it up everymorning properly??..

coz after the battery was changed i did drive for 3 hours..!air con on and off, through M4 etc.. although when the battery was unplugged i didnt wait the 10min-20min for it..

but yeah before the idle would drop below 1000revs then bounce up to 1300.. im getting it checkd tommoro coz its idling at 1400rpm.. is that normal? never noticed it till now? but yeah i thot it may be the vacum and i checkd the hoses seems fine.. but ill check it in daylight tommorow.. thanks sentana!:wave:

_CiVIC_
16-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey rainz, bro i had a similar problem actually but mine was hunting between 1,000rpm - 2,000rpm and thats while i was driving... it would be weird if we had the same problem. I just did a simple throttle body cleanout with Carby Spray, removed the carbon build up and it did fix it a bit, but just recently the problem has come back again.. I'm really concerned.

Qwooootz
16-06-2005, 08:27 PM
hrmm alfy serious? u rekon its the weather LOL..?

could it be your CAI kit? u only got that recently, maby its oen of the hoses as sentana said.. im gona check mine tommorow..

whatchu doin tomorow alfy.. me and ED gonna re-situate our plate numbers..! hehe and im thinkn about doin a DIY CAI..

_CiVIC_
16-06-2005, 08:31 PM
rainz i'm not doing much tomorrow during the day bro.. you's going to be at your place or ed's? hehe i thought at first it was the CAI, i removed it to make sure, but it wasn't that bro.. i'm really worried that my car is on the brink of saying bye bye :(

Limbo
16-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Well try unsticking your throttle incase that is what it is. Also check that your earthing terminals are all fine, then change your plugs just to be sure. Otherwise take it to hanny's to get them to have a look at it.

D16Y
16-06-2005, 11:44 PM
i had the same prob after changing the batt. but all was good after a week lol

Phantasm
17-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Im also having a similar problem on my civic, but also if you blip the throttle a little then the revs will drop to about 500rpm then go up again. I also had an alternater / battery prob lately, ecu was reset but hasnt seemed to help either. Its also had a new timing belt, but all the timing settings have been checked right by the mechanic twice. Its tricky to narrow down the cause of this fault...

Setanta
17-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Hunting at idle can also be caused by a worn FIV or EACV btw.

Qwooootz
17-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Sentana whats a FIV and EACV?

57UDD
17-06-2005, 09:19 AM
I had the same prob, my revs would be jumpin up an down constantly when idle and whilst driving, it was jumpin from below 1krpm and 2.5krpm. Did everythin you guyz said but still came back. Then i took to a car electrician, the guys fixed it in no time and costed me bout 200.