PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers Vs Springs

merr.
16-06-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm getting my car lowered.

Which do you recommend? Coilovers or Springs?

I know coilovers are a lot more expensive but that's ok. I just want to know which one is better in the long run. As in affecting original shocks or suspension.

I've been advised not to get it lowered as it really damages the cars suspension.

But i'm still getting it lowered. :p

nobbs
16-06-2005, 06:25 PM
IMO coilovers are better, most allow you to adjust damper settings etc...u can also adjust height for track use or cruising whatever, just rais it or lower it when you want.

springs are ok for lowering, atm im using just lowered springs but thats coz my budget wont allow for coilovers atm but yeh, it depends what you want to use your car for.

if its just a street cruiser i think springs is just fine, but if u wanna track it and stuff id say go for coilovers

Terry
16-06-2005, 07:06 PM
coilover is good.....u get every dollar back whenever u turn your car.....some ppl say coilover are too hard but it all depends on how's you set them up......

StOo
17-06-2005, 12:34 AM
If you need to change your ride height and damper settings often then the coilovers will be better bang for buck. If you go to the track and stuff like that, you'll probably want them. I wouldn't advise them for normal use though... unless you have heaps of money.

If you do lower your car, do everything properly and you won't damage anything. If you change your springs, don't forget to change your shocks and get them to check the bushes and other little bits. You don't want your suspension to go on you if you can avoid it. My friend had his shocks go on him when he was driving around with stock shocks and lowered springs. He was lucky it was the left one and not the right (when sitting in the car), or he would have hit about 20 cars that were coming towards him.

barefootbonzai
17-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Man if bling ain't a thing, coilovers!!!! And it sounds like your unsure of what suspension is comprised of. It's simple, just shocks and springs. Coilovers is essentially both together, and is height adjustable, and some damper adjustable too. Springs are just springs, and you can also get aftermarket shocks to accompany your new springs :) Hope that helps

merr.
17-06-2005, 01:26 PM
The car is just a street cruiser. It sounds like coilovers are the best option. Although springs are a lot cheaper, it seems that coilovers would be better off for the car.

Thanks guys. Coilovers it is then.

fabz
17-06-2005, 01:49 PM
When u get springs and shocks can you get adjustable shocks or is that just coilovers lol. noob

raff
17-06-2005, 01:59 PM
nah its not thats adjustable shocks i.e koni yellows with whatever springs.

if its a daily driven street car id just go for lowered springs there fine for daily use.

my thoughts are that coilovers are pretty bumpy ride (just from my experience)

type one
17-06-2005, 02:07 PM
that's the first time i have heard someone compare purchasing coilovers over springs... they are such different things for such different purposes... hehehe...

good to see you have gone with the coilovers... dun waste your time with springs only.

Terry
17-06-2005, 02:41 PM
The longer you drive your car......the more performance u want from it....many ppl (including me) start at spring but just couldnt satisfy about it......eventually move to coilover....good to know u go to the right place in first time:D

kez13
17-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Well.....personally i would go the coilovers...but its all depending on what you wish to get out of them in the end. If you are wishing to put your car in shows and want it to be ridculously low but not as low to drive around everyday then i would definately go the coilovers since they are adjustable. Yes, they are more expensive but you will get your moneys worth.
Depending on which kind of springs you get will depend on the price, but with most lowered springs you are only limited to the one ride height.

Have a think about it.
Good luck

Kez!