PDA

View Full Version : Lowering...

lloydbanks
16-06-2005, 09:30 PM
I want to lower my car, but I was just wondering, is airbag suspension illegal?

Val
16-06-2005, 10:06 PM
I want to lower my car, but I was just wondering, is airbag suspension illegal?

As long as they are proper, and engineerable, it should be legal.

This site talks about it:

http://www.tubularsuspensionsystems.com/groundzero.htm

bennjamin
16-06-2005, 10:12 PM
It is a requirement of the Australian Design Rules that any component that is to be a direct replacement for the original must contain the same components. The handling of the vehicle must not be decreased in any way. Industrial air cylinders don’t have shock absorbers fitted inside of them. Accumulators are not shock absorbers and don’t control compression and rebound rates like a shock absorber does. This fact makes industrial air cylinders illegal to fit on any road going vehicle. Most of these air cylinder kits originate in the US and companies who sell them have disclaimers on their advertising admitting that they don’t meet the D.O.T. standards and are for show and off road use only. In other words, they are telling you that these are illegal to fit your road car

Ground Zero Air Cylinders are a new product released in 2003 directly aimed to solve the problems that have been plaguing the Air Industry that use industrial air cylinders. The feature that sets Ground Zero Air Cylinders apart from everything else is the internal fitment of a shock absorber that is calibrated to suit the air cylinder. This is a patent pending design.

Shock Absorbers control the braking performance, handling and ride comfort of your car. Removing them directly contravenes Australian Design Rules and makes your car instantly illegal, and uninsurable.

Since Ground Zero has totally redesigned the air cylinder, problems that have arisen by the use of industrial air cylinders no longer exist.

As Ground Zero Air Cylinders are a direct replacement, Engineering them for safety and legal compliance is a breeze.

All of our Ground Zero struts and brackets come with an Engineer’s report.

This taken from tat site- basically tells that anytihng imported for use on our public roads is 100% illegal as it isnt a direct replacement for OEM parts.
So , apparently these ones are legal in OZ. You just have to get them properly engineered for road use.

IMO , there are cheaper and safer ways to DUMP your car. Springs , or even a nice full coilover setup.

JDMTMY
17-06-2005, 12:18 AM
always thought they were illegal..