PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Rear windscreen tint

nav12c
17-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi guys,

Something that has been bugging me for a while that I want to get off my chest is that when I ordered my car, I optioned for tints from the dealer.

On the rear windscreen, they have tinted everything but left a nice space for the rear brakelight (the one mounted on the parcel shelf). Is this normal? Its not super obvious, but its freakin' annoying when I'm showing the car to friends and family and they remark 'hey, they missed a spot!'. I mean, its done really cleanly and professionally but still BUGS me.

Is this a legal issue?

I'm sure other Euro's have had the tinting all the way on the rear windscreen. Can i complain and get it fixed and done properly? I will try and get a pic of it tonight.

BTW- it looks to be standard 35% black tint, nothing special.

Nav

PNR888
17-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Your Euro is probably the only one I Know have this issue.
All Brisbane Euros I have seen all have tinting cover the rear windshield... Regardless of whether rear spoiler is fitted or not..

I assume your car doesn't have rear spoiler, what you should do is: contact your transport department, and make sure it is legal in NSW to have tint film cover's central brake light, (good if you can get some written document), then take it to your dealer..

If it is illegal, then all Euro with tint (except your Euro) will be defected by police.

Pum[Z]
17-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Nop it aint normal...

They should have taken off rear brakelight and then pasted the tint on.. Then put back the brakelight on again...

All cars should have tinting all the way on their rear windscreen... I don't know why ur car was an exception.. U should talk to ur dealer and ask for an explanation...

PNR888
17-06-2005, 08:07 PM
I think the people did the tinting probably just too lazy to remove the brakelight.. or they dont know how to remove it (1st time to do Euro??).

Anyway, just let your dealer know that you are not happy, and the brake light just stand out among tinted glass and black car paint.. it just doesn't look right.

adammet04
17-06-2005, 08:58 PM
sorry to echo others comments but i got tint from dealer and mine isnt like that either...sounds a little strange..

stephen8512
18-06-2005, 02:01 AM
mines full tinted at the rear

nav12c
20-06-2005, 08:36 AM
well, my car is due for its first sevice this week so i will speak to them about it when i take it down. i thought it was strange coz i have had a few cars (all have had the brake light) and they have all been tinted all the way.

PERTH_EURO
20-06-2005, 10:55 AM
i need to remove my brake light to do something... can u ask em how to remove it??

Alpine
20-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Here's a pic of my Accord's rear tint. As you can see it covers the whole lot.

http://users.on.net/~shane.lim/misc/accord79.jpg

kanthan
21-06-2005, 05:16 PM
<off topic> did they install the metallic or the carbon film on the back?

albii
21-06-2005, 06:49 PM
<off topic> did they install the metallic or the carbon film on the back?
yeah thats right the diff tint for the aerial to work properly.

nav12c
22-06-2005, 10:44 AM
hey guys,
am really pissed off right now. Called Peter Warren in Liverpool (Syd) regarding the window tinting issue and was pretty much told 'tough luck'. Apparently their tinters do all vehicles and leave the gap for the brake light.
does anyone know how i can get this resolved, its really starting to bother me now.

thanks,
Nav

wynode
22-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Say you're going to make an official complaint (and do make one). ALso mention that other euro owners have had their rear windows tinted without a problem.

Usually dealers just outsource/contract the tinting work to a independant contractor. At the end of the day they will just say NO as it is them who have to fork out the money to get it re-done.

I'd insist if I was you......or have a look at a few other dealers and see if their cars have the full tint!

nav12c
22-06-2005, 02:09 PM
yeah i got the name and direct phone number for the dealer principal. do you think it better to ring him first or Honda customer service?

wynode
22-06-2005, 10:48 PM
honda customer service i'd say.

nav12c
29-06-2005, 09:51 AM
guys,
just thought I'd post a pic to show you what it looks like. Its a neat job but still not what i like nor wanted.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/2648IMG_5603.JPG

aaronng
29-06-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't think I've seen tinted Euros around my area having a tint gap like that.

kvad
29-06-2005, 10:37 AM
that gap really makes it look dodgy, like a home job or something. i havent seen any other euros with this problem before.

Tobster
29-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Personally I don't think it looks THAT bad -- and it actually makes sense. It's not like there's a gap where your interior is going to get sun-damaged. However I understand it it just annoys you...

albii
29-06-2005, 01:41 PM
guys,
just thought I'd post a pic to show you what it looks like. Its a neat job but still not what i like nor wanted.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/2648IMG_5603.JPG
dont accept that ...the euro is a classy car and to have that type of work on it is unacceptable. :cool:

[ slayer ]
29-06-2005, 02:23 PM
yeh mate, i wouldnt take that, i can see why it annoys u, cos i can tell u it would drive me insane to see that gap with white showing through where tint should be

PNR888
29-06-2005, 06:19 PM
nav12c:
it is sad to hear your rear windscreen is like that. it is even sadder to see the actual picture of it.. OMG.. that is weired.. as I posted before, a bit of white plastic just doesn;t match your black paint and dark windows.

EuroAccord13
29-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Looks weird with that bit exposed... Geeez....

V205
29-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Fugly!

[QUOTE=nav12c]guys,
QUOTE]

yfin
29-06-2005, 09:41 PM
guys,

Yeah - I am not a fan too as cuts the consistency and flowing lines of the rear end. Why don't you speak to the tint shop directly - I am sure you can work something out. If you can get them to re-do the rear window for cost that would be good (say $40?- I am just guessing the price I would be happy to pay).

wynode
30-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Looks to me like he was too lazy to take out the brake light!

nav12c
08-08-2005, 01:57 PM
hey guys,
Thought I'd provide a response to this that I recieved the other day. Apparently Peter Warren tint all their cars this way. If you have a spoiler (and hence the rear brake light is in the spoiler and the windscreen one doenst work) then tiniting it all is fine, but coz I dont have a spoiler and my windscreen brake light is functioning, they cant tint over it.

If you see, most cars that have rear windscreen brake light, its attached to the windscreen, dunno why the euro one is set slightly back from the windscreen.

Either way, they are happy to retint it my way if, I sign a waiver to remove liability from Peter Warren Honda and the tinters if I ever have an acidient.

I though fu(k that, they just want to wipe their hands clean of it. Looks like I have to live with it.

VirIIx
08-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I had tint done within the first 2-3 weeks i had my euro before the spoiler arrived in the country for them to stick it on.

The guy unbolted my rear light when he was tinting the back window.

You'd think it would be easier to take out a few screws to tint, rather than try and cut around it.

Pup
08-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Peter warren is giving you a load of shit!!!
I brought my euro from Peter warren also and had them do the tinting, well, I have the same cut out for the brake light.

However I have the rear spoiler. I find it hard to believe the tinters didn't see the spoiler!

Will be contacting peter warren in a few days to talk about this little issue!

albii
08-08-2005, 08:17 PM
me thinks that your tinter is a lazy and dodgey focker

yfin
08-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Either way, they are happy to retint it my way if, I sign a waiver to remove liability from Peter Warren Honda and the tinters if I ever have an acidient.

That is a good result - i would happily sign that if they retint it properly free of charge.

euro1978
08-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Yep
No one would expect the dealer or the tinter to bear any sort of culpability in the event of an accident unless it was in their posession at the time.

Sign waver, get tint done properly.

eurosp
09-08-2005, 12:20 AM
nav12c
Mine is tinted all the way and I have not seen any other euro have the tint done like yours in Victoria.

I am just wondering, did you get any call from Honda Australia to find out if you are happy with your Honda or the dealer? I did. you can make a complain about the dealer and Honda Aust may try to resolve this for you.

nav12c
09-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Yep
No one would expect the dealer or the tinter to bear any sort of culpability in the event of an accident unless it was in their posession at the time.
Sign waver, get tint done properly.
yeah but if it really is a legal issue that should they tint over the brake light they could be liable then i have two choices;
1. Get it retinted and possibly have insurance turn me down should anything occur, or
2. Live with it.

I am just wondering, did you get any call from Honda Australia to find out if you are happy with your Honda or the dealer? I did. you can make a complain about the dealer and Honda Aust may try to resolve this for you.
hey eurosp,
i didnt get a call, but they sent some feedback card out and i made sure they knew of my frustrations with Peter Warren. Will see if Honda Aust actually call me about it or not.

Suntzu
09-08-2005, 09:56 AM
I got mine tinted a few weeks ago. I also have the rear brakelight uncovered. I can hardly notice it at all. Its done very neatly and professionally. Its got to be safer in terms of visibility so I can see why they did it. Doesnt bother me in the slightest.

euro1978
09-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Get it retinted and possibly have insurance turn me down should anything occur

It has been stated numerous times already in this thread that people have their full back window tinted. I know mine is along with atleast 90% of the euros on this forum with tinted windows and no one has teh ghey little peep hole so the 3rd brake light can be seen except for people that have bought their cars from the same dealership.

It sounds like you are worried about it so just leave it but whoever has put into your head that retinting may invalidate your insurance has no idea what they are talking about.

VirIIx
09-08-2005, 03:47 PM
It sounds like you are worried about it so just leave it but whoever has put into your head that retinting may invalidate your insurance has no idea what they are talking about.

If you had say illegal tint, darker than 35% and the insurance company is smart enough to notice it, then that'll void your insurance. Other than that i don't see how tinting over it can cause a problem.

The person behind you should've been at a minimal safe distance while driving, secondly paying attention, thirdly you would have 2 other god damn lights which HOPEFULLY are working unlike the majority of idiots out there who don't even notice (don't tell me i'm the only one who notices my brake light reflection in signs etc??)

The person hits you from behind - they're fault - what worries do you have? :) that's on a basic assumption tho...

I could go on, but i'll leave it at that.