PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance indicator light - oxygen heater sensor

Alpine
17-06-2005, 09:01 PM
The other day my 1999 Civic's maintenance indicator light came on and hasn't gone away. Took it in to the local Honda dealer who ascertained that the light was activated by a faulty oxygen heater sensor, apparently located in the exhaust. They claim a brand new replacement oxygen heater sensor is around the $600 mark supplied and fitted! What a bloody rip off. Has anyone else had this problem with your Civic and if so how did you resolve this issue? $600 seems like alot of money for just a sensor...

Alpine
18-06-2005, 11:17 PM
I guess nobody knows...or cares. :(

Kandy
19-06-2005, 04:56 AM
I would like to know the answer to this too!
My maintenance box turned red this week, I called Honda Service up and they said it was just a reminder that it is time for a service... Anyhow, I know my oxygen sensor is getting old and that it's running rich, but $600? omfg...

Terry
19-06-2005, 07:46 AM
try to get a second hand one........for senser they should be same across all the EK model.....or is not?:confused:

Alpine
19-06-2005, 05:52 PM
I would like to know the answer to this too!
My maintenance box turned red this week, I called Honda Service up and they said it was just a reminder that it is time for a service... Anyhow, I know my oxygen sensor is getting old and that it's running rich, but $600? omfg...

Ah, I think you misunderstood me... I was referring to the maintenance indicator light, or Check Engine light (with the engine picture) above the speedo, not the service indicator light (below the speedo).

Kandy
20-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Ah the engine light :)

Yes I assumed you meant the maintenance indicator light below the speedo as it is the only one that says maintenance and I think only the coupes have them? Anyway it's not shown in my car manual anywhere so had no idea what it ment except Red looked bad ;)

twing
27-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I just got my coupe a month ago and I can't stop thinking about that indicator. The bloody manual doesn't explain it. If that indicator turns red, does that means something really really wrong happens? or is it due for regular service? If i have DYI service, how to reset it?

destrukshn
27-10-2005, 05:37 PM
after market o2 sensors aren't that much.. i got quoted about.. 85 i think it was.. for my eg civic.

Waggy
27-10-2005, 05:37 PM
On my EM1 you reset it by sticking your car key into the slot located beside the maintenance light. As for the O2 sensor - I'd get a second opinion!

wynode
27-10-2005, 06:11 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218

Try that to confirm it is the O2 heater. If it is.....check the wires to make sure they are OK and the sensor is grounded properly.

OTherwise your best bet is probably to get one second hand from a wreckers (see the WTB forum sticky)

Kandy
28-10-2005, 12:47 AM
I just got my coupe a month ago and I can't stop thinking about that indicator. The bloody manual doesn't explain it. If that indicator turns red, does that means something really really wrong happens? or is it due for regular service? If i have DYI service, how to reset it?
Yeah, I found out it just means its time for your service.

barefootbonzai
28-10-2005, 10:00 AM
On the coupes the maintenance thing that turns from green to red doesn't mean anything. That just works on km's eg after 5000km it will go from green to red. It has no connection how your car is actually running. It's about as useful as the trip meter probably even less.

As Waggy said just wack your key in the hole next to it and reset it any time you want :)

As for engine check light, i had that when i boosted my car and forgot to connect the O2 sensor. And other times but i guess it's not counted since the car was boosted.

iamhappy46
30-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Always buy a brand new exhaust gas sensor, they are under $100 for a 4 wire EGO from reputable makers such as Bosch, Walker etc and can be wired up to the factory plug, for seamless integration. Honda basically charge around $450 for the same EGO sensor but with the right plug to suit.
2nd hand can cause to many problems, you do not know the history on the car and what fuels have been used. If leaded fuel was used and retained in this EGO, the lead can heat up and leak into your Catalytic converter. That is where it gets expensive.

incoming
31-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Always buy a brand new exhaust gas sensor, they are under $100 for a 4 wire EGO from reputable makers such as Bosch, Walker etc and can be wired up to the factory plug, for seamless integration. Honda basically charge around $450 for the same EGO sensor but with the right plug to suit.
2nd hand can cause to many problems, you do not know the history on the car and what fuels have been used. If leaded fuel was used and retained in this EGO, the lead can heat up and leak into your Catalytic converter. That is where it gets expensive.

2nd hand o2 sensors usually come with warranty though... (6 months depending on wrecker)
but it would be best to get a new one