PDA

View Full Version : K&N panel filters

crx
01-02-2004, 12:41 AM
Has anyone here put a k&n filter to a b16a2 (3rd gen crx)? Will these types of filter much any power increase or noise. I know the pod types got for $110, anyone got any idea of the price for panel type. Thanks

Setanta
01-02-2004, 12:59 AM
I run a Jamex panel or a Finer Filter panel alternately on my B16A (1)

Power difference is negligable @ the wheels, as it is with a pod (without other mods). Noise is up a tiny bit, especially on VTEC. I paid $40 for each of mine.

The biggest bonus with them is their reusability and the fact that your engine bay looks stock which keeps you out of the way of authorites on a harrassment blitz :).

2ds
01-02-2004, 02:05 AM
I put a K&N panel filter in my 94 crx, engine noise is slightly higher as sentanta mentioned apart from that no real noticable change.

-2ds

McChook
01-02-2004, 02:24 AM
If you want the Jamex/Pipercross filter let me know, I'll send ya one.

hondar
01-02-2004, 06:33 AM
dear crx,

You need to see that intake as part of the bigger system and not just a stand alone unit. Always ask yourself, what is your goal?

As a rule of thumb, you want to the air's velocity, quality and volume to be delivered to your engine according to your goal.

Generally the difference in ram-pod, stock or CAI(cold air intake) is on the length of the system. A longer system like CAI is usually better for low-mid rpm range gain while ram pod (which i think is illegal if exposed) is for high rpm range.

We do have the hybrid system such as Mugen box, comptech box (in US) in which they are a hybrid of both system.

A unique system that worth mentioning is the ICEMAN intake that is a tapered CAI. The cross section of the tube (pipe) gets smaller as it approaches the throttle body of intake manifold.

Pod like 2ds has mentioned, will have a substantial increase of noise esp when vtec is engaged. I know it is music to our ears but not the man in blue. *grin*
Not much noise from stock or CAI or hybrid system

Increase? You probably cant feel it with your DYNO BUTT. You need to see it for yourself on the REAL DYNO. hehehhehe

You are seeing between 0-3kw (yes it is 0!!) which like i say you can hardly feel. My advise is dont get too obsessed with an intake. Start improving elsewhere. Notably your exhaust system

As mentioned before somewhere in the forum. How much air your engine can have will depend how much exhaust you can expel. You can fill something if its not empty

Find a good exhaust system that will match your goal. Do remember an exhaust system will have your engine at peak power when the exhaust travel at 240/260feet per second if i remember my figure correctly.

Again where you want your peak power at? Using a larger tubing will push your peak power HIGHER and FURTHER of the RPM range. It is the reverse if you using a smaller tubing or what we call B-pipe.

If you are keen on a good low-mid gain. which one is a better system?
I think choosing to keep stock and have a smaller tubing compared to the bigger one will be a better combination.

You see all of us here mods our car little by little. None of us maybe a few lucky bloke have the money to buy all he wants at one go. Therefore a little planning and knowing what you want to achieve before you start modifying help in the long run.

You save time and definetely money that way. Hope my 2cents is helpful to you.

crx
01-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey hondar thanks for the advise.

i was thinking of just replacing a honda air filter cant go past the advantages of reusable filters. I am considering the K&N because i use to have a finerfilter and it was a mess to clean up. Have anyone have any problem cleaning the K&N.

McChook
01-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Best bet is a Pipercross Hi Flow Tripple core panel filter..... slightly better than the K&N, and you can use their cleaning kit.

A'PEXi
02-02-2004, 02:38 AM
i doubt there would be any noticable gains.... k&n are a good company for filters tho :D

euro77
02-02-2004, 07:09 AM
I used K&N panel filter on my previous civic, performance wise, I can feel a little bit more acceleration compared to stock filter. But it could be just me since everyone said it's not noticeable. It was a civic GLi, so maybe it's more noticeable if your engine is not so powerful.
Might be a good idea to make a CAI as well

[[d a n n y]]
02-02-2004, 08:47 AM
i had a K&N filter on my civic and i could feel extra power over at the 4000 RPM

good all round performance and money wise

hondar
02-02-2004, 02:31 PM
K&n if i am not wrong produced the oem filters as well.

what k&n made of? sponge or paper material?

if it is sponge it is easy to clean.

just soaked in luke warm water and some light detergent. i use my shampoo, soaked and gently scrub away the dirt. give a little shake and soaked for another 10-15 mins and left it to dry.

if you have a cleaning kit, that is even better.

hope that helps

McChook
02-02-2004, 02:48 PM
what k&n made of? sponge or paper material?

if it is sponge it is easy to clean.

Its a single density foam material. easy to clean -
Pipercross is a tripple density foam filter, just as easy to clean

hondar
02-02-2004, 03:18 PM
ooh dont forget to oil it after it is dry

crx
02-02-2004, 10:13 PM
i thought the k&N are the paper type......

tanghy
03-02-2004, 12:38 AM
dunno when k&n started making foam... hmm

2ds
03-02-2004, 12:39 AM
K&n is oiled cotton isn't it ?

-2ds

euro77
03-02-2004, 06:38 AM
K&N Filter is made of
multiple layers of oiled cotton fabric

kimbi
15-02-2004, 05:55 PM
when i bought my car it already had a k&n panel filter in it (so i guess i cant comment as to whether it makes any difference performance wise) i also have a brand new one as a spare too.. a mate got me a cleaning kit and i just get the place that services my car to clean it for me - apparently its pretty easy anyway. The aftermarket air filters do have a longer life especially when theyre reuseable!! (plus theyre street legal unlike pod filters right?) :?