PDA

View Full Version : B18C7 in a Civic Coupe VTi

CONAN
18-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Has this been done before?

What is your opinion on it? Is it worth it? Cost wise, performance factor.. etc.

dropping in a Dc2r motor in a Civic coupe Vti, including gearbox and brake upgrade.

how much would it cost rougly? does the motor fit straight in..

Please express your thoughts............

tRipitaka
18-06-2005, 01:26 PM
VTi = dseries
dc2r = bseries

new mounts, probably grab some from an EK4..
it'd be better to get an EM1 and then drop a b18c7 in that.. easier job, better handling than EJ8

J-MuN
18-06-2005, 01:33 PM
i think it'll be pretty orite :p

bit of a hassle imo, but the result will be worth it :D

MRJDM
18-06-2005, 01:46 PM
do it best thing ull ever do
:D :D :D :D

z3lda
18-06-2005, 02:13 PM
vti = 50 times cheaper then em1

**Ghost**
18-06-2005, 02:19 PM
for the cost of buyign a Type R motor + labor... i reckon u prolly could at least come close to buying a type R if u sell ur coupe

now by all i means i'm not suggesting u DO that... i mean if ur attached to the body of the coupe or u wanna be different thats absolutely cool

but just be AWARE of that fact....and be aware that if u bought a "out of the box" type R u'd be getting a lot more goodies like recaros, cool rims, etc etc

but as i said... it depends on how much ur attached to ur coupe... if u r attached... then do it

JDMTMY
18-06-2005, 02:21 PM
i was thinking of doing the same thing conan. just gotta find a ej first hehe. still looking to buy one. i got a mate from japan who is gona start looking for an b18c7 for me once i get the ej and money for the b18c7. duno bout prices yet. ill worry bout that after i get a ej hehe

Z
18-06-2005, 03:18 PM
http://www.akamoto.co.uk/images/turbo-charger-1.jpg

:thumbsup:

Waggy
18-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah that would be a great swap.

My personal opinion about engine swaps though, is that I think they are a lot of trouble and not everything is always peachy and works first time. You see I bought an EM1, do I ever think of changing the engine in it? NO. It already has a B16A2, why would I wanna waste money and swap that awesome engine out and drop another in?

Part of my opinion comes from my lack of funds, and the inability of the workshops in my area though. Hey, if I was super rich I'd surely be dropping in a K20 or K24, whacking a turbo on it and taking it out as a weekend weapon while driving another car to work and back during the week.

Insurance is an issue too. But if that isn't an issue, for ease of upgrade, I'd prolly be whacking a turbo on the D-series. Those things pull like sperm whales.

Just my .02

tRipitaka
18-06-2005, 03:29 PM
http://pics.maunier.org/big_turbo.jpg

type one
18-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Has this been done before?

What is your opinion on it? Is it worth it? Cost wise, performance factor.. etc.

dropping in a Dc2r motor in a Civic coupe Vti, including gearbox and brake upgrade.

how much would it cost rougly? does the motor fit straight in..

Please express your thoughts............

B18C7 is a great engine - a little low on torque down low but overall obviously an excellent engine. It is part of the overall package (ie the engine doesn't make the car) and as a result you have been wise to consider brake and suspension etc upgrades as you will need to do this fastidiously and not cut corners if you are to get the most out of the engine.

A B18C7 including lsd gearbox and looms can be sourced for 5.5k plus - alternatively you can source a jap spec b18c1 for roughtly the same price, bt there are probably more floating around and it might offer you a little bit more power out of the factory.

Given the cost of the engine, plus maybe a 5 lug conversion, plus a good set of suspension and then maybe a few other miscellaneous items here and there (incl hard to find engine mounts) then you would be well above 10k without putting the engine in yet.

This is just a reall basic rundown - pls also remember that depending on the experience of your mechanic you car will probably be off the road for a good 2 weeks to month (or more!).

I LOVE the idea of hybrids - they are just an awesome sight... an engine built for a heavier car in a lighter chassis just magnificent, you just need to do your homework and add up your pros and cons and then take the plunge :)

D16Y
18-06-2005, 04:22 PM
http://pics.maunier.org/big_turbo.jpg
lolol i love that pic.

b18c7 would be awesome in an ej8! :)

wynode
18-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Lets keep the silly comments out please

an engine built for a heavier car in a lighter chassis just magnificent

How much does the Vti coupe weigh?

spetz
18-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeah how much does it weigh?
I would expect due to the Type R's light weight, after putting an engine into a VTi Civic coupe + bigger brakes, strut braces and other mods it would weigh more than a ITR DC2?

tRipitaka
18-06-2005, 05:05 PM
i'm assuming he's wanting it more for the uniqueness of a car, rather than all out performance..

CTR Coupe
18-06-2005, 05:06 PM
the coupe weighs around the 1050 to 1100 mark with no driver.(taken from weigh stations not honda guides)

CONAN
18-06-2005, 06:27 PM
yeh it would be different, thought it would be cheap as well.
damnit, 10k w/o labour wasnt what i was expecting

CTR Coupe
18-06-2005, 06:48 PM
5.5k - 6k Engine
??? rear engine mount(buy it from Honda dealer)
1200-1400 suspension
5 lug conversion including brakes 800-1200
??? Labour

That runs you close enough to 10k.

You can probably just upgrade your brakes for around 800 buck (rear disk conversion, braided lines, slotted rotas and harder pads) mark but why not go 5 stud for slightly more

At that price plus a coupe for 10-12k you can have yourself a 99 thrashed type R with high kms

Perry
18-06-2005, 07:03 PM
like CTR Coupe said its wise to up grade to 5 lug due to the engine power and the braking power u need

doing this converison is just like people with EK1 swaping for B series motors
Brake upgrade
New engine mounts
etc etc etc

Kandy
18-06-2005, 07:08 PM
aww man, threads like this are baaad.. I want...

may I ask how much difference the 5 lug is to the 4 lug? does it hold the wheels in better or something? lol...

CTR Coupe
18-06-2005, 07:14 PM
aww man, threads like this are baaad.. I want...

may I ask how much difference the 5 lug is to the 4 lug? does it hold the wheels in better or something? lol...

the disks and calipers on the type R are bigger. The "5 stud" aspect is just bling.

Perry
18-06-2005, 07:24 PM
or you could upgrade to CRV calipers with bigger rotors if u want

CTR Coupe
18-06-2005, 07:32 PM
or you could upgrade to CRV calipers with bigger rotors if u want

What sort of brackets (custom?) do you run with those? what needs to be replaced? can you just swap the callipers and disks and reuse the hubs?

Perry
18-06-2005, 07:38 PM
What sort of brackets (custom?) do you run with those? what needs to be replaced? can you just swap the callipers and disks and reuse the hubs?

by remember when upgrading the CRV calipers u have to change the rotors and u can reuse the original hub. OB has done its the effective cheap option other then swaping for typeR brakes

jimmeh
18-06-2005, 10:02 PM
by remember when upgrading the CRV calipers u have to change the rotors and u can reuse the original hub. OB has done its the effective cheap option other then swaping for typeR brakes
we're tokn about the front crv brakes right? cos aint the rear ones drums?

wynode
18-06-2005, 10:46 PM
You can use the EK4 or DC2 vti-r knukkle if your car isnt' a vti-r civic / integra.

You will also have to shave off a bit of your caliper so it doesn't rub your rims and get redrilled rotors to suit. Good thing about this is that you don't have to go out and buy a new set of rims.

Also, Buying the CRV caliper is cheaper than getting the ITR caliper if you go to a wreckers.

EDIT: Pics

DC2R calipers + redrilled disks on a EG with 15" Rims

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=537/3IMG_5889-med.jpg

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=537/3IMG_6018-med.jpg

type one
19-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Lets keep the silly comments out please

How much does the Vti coupe weigh?

EG Vti weighs in at under 1100 which is a "real weight" approximation not Honda's factory weight (ie less petrol, less air-con, less seats, less everything but the shell hahaha).

type one
19-06-2005, 12:43 PM

I have swapped Integra Vti-R brakes onto my EG, no shaving, no need to re-drill rotors...

IMO plenty of stopping power for an EG hatch. Type R brakes are a bit of overkill on such a light car unless you are really looking to run BIG power (ie a b series turbo) AND i would be also concerned about the brake bias... ITR calipers are one of the best in Honda's line-up, if you don't have the front and the rear's then i'd be worried about the car's brake balance on the track.

CTR Coupe
19-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I have swapped Integra Vti-R brakes onto my EG, no shaving, no need to re-drill rotors...

IMO plenty of stopping power for an EG hatch. Type R brakes are a bit of overkill on such a light car unless you are really looking to run BIG power (ie a b series turbo) AND i would be also concerned about the brake bias... ITR calipers are one of the best in Honda's line-up, if you don't have the front and the rear's then i'd be worried about the car's brake balance on the track.

i assumed we were talking about swapping front and rear not just upgrading fronts?

type one
19-06-2005, 03:49 PM
don't assume anything around here... Actually has anyone on this board done a front and rear ITR swap?? (not a five lug conversion) just redrilling blanks, swapping front caliper AND have they noticed any difference in the way the car is balanced and brakes?? Love to know this.

and it is much cheaper to just upgrade the fronts to the integra Vti-R and maintain the rears... keep the balance of the car and also have excellent stopping power.

CONAN
19-06-2005, 09:25 PM
What would you prefer
a Civic Coupe VTI-R, and have money left over for mods

or stock ITR DC2.

tRipitaka
19-06-2005, 10:03 PM
ITR dc2

CONAN
19-06-2005, 10:13 PM
same here

ORACER
19-06-2005, 10:22 PM
civic coupe with lots of mods:thumbsup:

z3lda
19-06-2005, 10:22 PM
jdm itr wreck 6-7k.inc. front/rear 5lug.
labour to do full conversion engine/5lug brake swap over 2.5/3k