PDA

View Full Version : B series most popular engine conversion?

spetz
18-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Why is it that everyone wants a B series VTEC in their car?

If I had a Honda (preferably a EK Civic Coupe) the first engine conversion I would want to do is a H22A VTEC.
So why does everyone want a B16A or B18C (7) etc?
I would expect the H22A to destroy these engines in the same chassis

I am guessing maybe cost/ease of conversion?
Or H series may be heavy and ruin handling?

CTR Coupe
18-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Why is it that everyone wants a B series VTEC in their car?

If I had a Honda (preferably a EK Civic Coupe) the first engine conversion I would want to do is a H22A VTEC.
So why does everyone want a B16A or B18C (7) etc?
I would expect the H22A to destroy these engines in the same chassis

I am guessing maybe cost/ease of conversion?
Or H series may be heavy and ruin handling?

There is Smaller after market support of the h22a.
The engine bay requires to be beaten to fit PS/AC.
Requires speciality engine mounts (about 1k cost). B-series uses standard mounts (unless you’re putting it into a Pre 92 model.)
For a 2.2L it doesn't produce as much power as it should.

Most people go the b-series because it’s a bolt in swap.
Also people on Honda-tech claim that it understeers (jury is still out on this one)

newmski
18-06-2005, 05:33 PM
price, weight, needs engine mounts, availability, parts<- + parts availability
the h22a is a nice motor but the b series are hard to go past when it comes to power to weight
unless u want a k-series....$$$

newmski
18-06-2005, 05:34 PM
ohh ctr_coupe beat me to it

CTR Coupe
18-06-2005, 05:35 PM
the h22a is a nice motor but the b series are hard to go past when it comes to power to weight

I assume your talking about power per litre not weight.

spetz
18-06-2005, 06:29 PM
But even if the H22A hasn't got much power for a 2.2, what about the 212 nm of torque it produces?
And it still has an aftermarket.
I have driven VTi-R preludes and even though I was not overly impressed with performance I must say it felt like a great engine, which would go real good in a Civic!

If it was me, I wouldn't want anything else other than this engine!

Oh yeah, it was really nice and smooth too. I found B series not so smooth especially at high rpm and idle wasn't too good

barefootbonzai
18-06-2005, 06:50 PM
But even if the H22A hasn't got much power for a 2.2, what about the 212 nm of torque it produces?
I have driven VTi-R preludes and even though I was not overly impressed with performance I must say it felt like a great engine, which would go real good in a Civic!

Oh yeah, it was really nice and smooth too. I found B series not so smooth especially at high rpm and idle wasn't too good

Dude what are you on about? B series not smooth at high rpm and idle wasn't good?????? B series engines are designed for high rpm, and idle is great. You must have driven one dodgy car.

raff
18-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Dude what are you on about? B series not smooth at high rpm and idle wasn't good?????? B series engines are designed for high rpm, and idle is great. You must have driven one dodgy car.

:thumbsup: you cant drive one and make an assumption on that!!

CTR Coupe
18-06-2005, 07:06 PM

Sounds like your just trying to start shi*t between B-series and H-Series.

The H22engine is a pain in the ass to put in. not including the extra expense.
You’re talking about a 5.5-6k swap. Most people that did swaps did b16a swaps that cost around 3.5k or b18c swaps for 4.5k

A mechanic is going the charge though the ass to put this swap in because it’s the biggest pain.

There’s a guy on here that did the install himself into an EG but hes a diesel mechanic from memory

CTR Coupe
18-06-2005, 07:11 PM

Let me guess you drove a 98 5th gen prelude that had done less that 80k and a 94 Vti-R integra with more than 200,000kms on the clock.
That’s what it sounds like you’re comparing

spetz
18-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Quite an aggressive bunch of people aren't you.

And actually no, I driven 2 VTi-R preludes, one with 125K km and one with 180+ K km.

And with the B16A's I driven 1 which admitedly was pretty wasted and 1 which is brand new after a rebuild.

It's just that on idle you could feel some engine vibrations through the steering wheel, and at over 7000rpm + you could start feeling some vibrations through the car floor. Where as the Prelude's were both smooth as.

And how am I starting shit when these are both Honda VTEC engines...

Limbo
18-06-2005, 09:33 PM
The prelude's more of a luxury car, civics are a cheaper option. Look at the price difference and that shows. They were designed for different things.

The thing that the B series do better is rev. The H series is more torquier but doesn't have that 'fun' feeling of continously revving.

EK9
18-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Quite an aggressive bunch of people aren't you.

And actually no, I driven 2 VTi-R preludes, one with 125K km and one with 180+ K km.

And with the B16A's I driven 1 which admitedly was pretty wasted and 1 which is brand new after a rebuild.

It's just that on idle you could feel some engine vibrations through the steering wheel, and at over 7000rpm + you could start feeling some vibrations through the car floor. Where as the Prelude's were both smooth as.

And how am I starting shit when these are both Honda VTEC engines...
Honestly, i've never driven any car less then 10 yrs old that has vibrating wheel or anything under idle... especially Honda's. Only cars that i've experienced any kinda of vibration are those crappy pre 1990 bombs like corollas or even mid 90s hyundais. and if u felt that in a b16a, i'm guessing it was dying :rolleyes: .

and after 7000 rpm in any car, i can only say all cars become unstable sumhow...

spetz
19-06-2005, 04:11 AM
The vibrations are slight... I don't think most people would even notice them.

The H22A still redlines at 7500 rpm though, and it doesn't need revs to make power?
There is also a 2.3 litre of that isn't there?

DCLXVI
19-06-2005, 04:32 AM
The prelude's more of a luxury car, civics are a cheaper option. Look at the price difference and that shows. They were designed for different things.

correct.. with civic u feel and hear everything coz of poor sound deadening especially with EGs

u might want to compare accord with prelude... spetz

but i believe with h22a, a civic can be an awesome drag machine..

MR-VTEC
19-06-2005, 03:03 PM
There is also a 2.3 litre of that isn't there?

yes it's the H23A.:thumbsup: has more torque but less top end;)

BlitZ
19-06-2005, 03:42 PM
:thumbsup: h22A is slightly heavier than the b series being bigger..
:thumbsup: They will cause understeer in a front wheel drive civic.. especially in eg's and ef's...

:thumbsup: Yesh they have more torque... but u have no traction...

:thumbsup: which engine revs harder? b series.........

:thumbsup: Adding to that.... b series has alot more support

:thumbsup: B series are known to be more reliable than H series..

:thumbsup: H series cost alot more to install as mentioned by everyone..

Just my 2 cents worth..
It might be quiet bias... cause i have a bseries:wave:

spetz
19-06-2005, 05:22 PM
DCLXVI,
The reason I made this comparison is because a VTEC prelude isn't that quick, nor is a standard B series Civic.
But I would expect a EG hatch with a H22A and some I/H/E mods to fly! And destroy most sedate turbo cars out there.
Would be quite the sleeper...

sivic
19-06-2005, 05:47 PM

then why debate it any longer? you've come to your own conclusion so go with it.

the fact is some people prefer the torque and smoothness of the the H22 while some prefer the responsiveness of B's and their willingness to rev their **** off