PDA

View Full Version : exhaust, now high pitch whistle sound

Felix
18-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Ok i just got XForce headers/cat/twin loop muffler installed. Its all going good. But there is this high pitch whistle sound thats really anoying whenever i excelerate. The funny thing is that its hardly noticable when i rev the car when its not moving, but when i'm moving and then excelerate a bit its really loud. I only had the exhaust installed this morning so would this just be because its new.
does anyone have any answers as to what this might be?

95_CVC
18-06-2005, 06:22 PM
let it run a couple of days, i had similar but mine wasn't a whistle, more like an annoying tin can clanking... my installer said it would go away when it was run in. took about a week but i never heard it since.

Felix
18-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Also, is it important to reset the ECU after an exhaust install, cause i dont think the guy did that.??

crispy
18-06-2005, 06:46 PM
With cats, and mufflers especially, you need to give them a week or two of driving to allow them to wear in. The reason behind this is that the fibres in the muffler, and the cat's core need to heat and settle into a permanent position and then the true sound of the system is revealed. I know that when my magnaflow muffler was installed it sounded a little bit tinny and first and i was really iffy about it, but once i gave it a week or two it gradually turned into a roar. Now it is considerably louder, but it has a rich purr to it on idle and a throaty growl to it when i open it up. so you need to wait a bit and let it settle in and i would imagine the noise will go away!! good luck

crispy
18-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Actually, Felix why is it nessesary to reset the ECU after an exhaust install? Im a little curious as to why this needs to be done. I think mine was reset cos when i got my car bak from the shop it took a little bit to turn it over a couple of times but its been fine ever since.

snowman95
18-06-2005, 08:03 PM
the ecu adapts the intake etc to its new conditions. some believe it works, some believe it doesnt work. either way its just resetting it and nothing will go wrong with it.

Wazza
18-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Sorry a little off the subject but what's your impression of your X-Force setup Felix, notice any power gains, sound etc??

Felix
18-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Sound is ok, apart from the high pitch whistle noise. Performance increase is a good mid range increase. Definately noticable performance gains.

DRCVIC
19-06-2005, 09:25 AM
did you install it? make sure there are no leaks in the gaskets between the flanges, i know someone who left a gap at the bottom of on the his gaskets just for fun, under accelleration it whistled as if it was on boost... haha... does ur whistling sound like a turbo?

wynode
19-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Don't konw if anyone mentioned it but it sounds like a gasket to me.

bubblecivic
19-06-2005, 11:37 AM
How much did they charge you for the labour to install it??

Felix
19-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Yeah it whistles and sounds very much like a turbo. Its very loud.
Charged me $250, that covered the labour and 2 1/4 stainless pipeing....
I'm gonna take it back tomorrow and get them to tighten everything.

DRCVIC
19-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Don't konw if anyone mentioned it but it sounds like a gasket to me.

read the post above urs, just said that :P lol
but yeh, most probably a gasket

Felix
19-06-2005, 09:55 PM
what u recon one of the gaskets needs replaceing.
Or they just havent tightened it enough.

Felix
22-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Ok its still making the sound. i went back to the guys that installed it they said that its either the Flange joint they put in or its a fault with the twin loop exhaust. I'm gonna take it back to them early next week and leave it with them so they can have a look. I havent got the time at the moment, need the car for work.
Could this be causeing any serious damage to my car?

staryknight
27-06-2005, 06:43 PM
hmm i got the same funny whistling sound in my xforce setup, the only thing is it only started doing it lately, before winter set in i never heard it before, but lately, its been whistling alot whenever i step on the gas, more noticeable at lower rpms when your going slower because theres not much noise to counter it, but yeh tell me if they fix your problem cozi might need to get mine checked out too.

Felix
27-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah they fixed it.
It was a faulty flex joint that they put in. They fix it in 15minutes.