PDA

View Full Version : S2000, way overrated?

spetz
18-06-2005, 06:33 PM
I was reading a review (forgot where) which said that the S2000 is overrated. Where it looks great on paper but not so good on the road. Namely engine performance I think it was.

People's comments?

VTECACCORD
18-06-2005, 06:42 PM
It was probably a US magazine and the reason most of em criticise it is cause the S2000 isn't as tourquey as some of the same cars it competes with over there (Boxster, Z4, etc).

The new S2000 in the US get the F22 2.2 liter engine which has a lot more torque and is more user friendly.

From what I know and what I have experienced the S2000 is a hard car to launch off the line and get fast times with, you have to rev it high and drop the clutch (which means frequent clutch changes). But handling wise its fun, and once your on the go its a joy to drive.

But nothing compares to my R though, lol

spetz
18-06-2005, 08:42 PM
It was a aussie source I think.

Actually now that you reminded me it did say that even the ITR engine felt more powerfull or better, and that VTEC kicked in harder?

^^v
18-06-2005, 09:33 PM
i dun think its over rated..
sure its not the quickest car down the straight..
but it takes corners just as good as the R's (bar the NSX) if not better imo...
good track car :thumbsup:

|N|
18-06-2005, 09:34 PM
pls remember that all honda s r not designed for straight line performace... they r very well balanced...

^^v
18-06-2005, 09:36 PM
pls remember that all honda s r not designed for straight line performace... they r very well balanced...

hit the nail on the head |N|:thumbsup:

Captiva_Blue
18-06-2005, 09:51 PM
I've read lots of reviews that say that the S2k is very twitchy to drive at or near the limit, ie. not very well balanced.. I can't say what I believe is great/not so great about them because I've never had the oportunity to pilot 1, but from what I've read, the gearbox is second to nothing this side of $150k, when its going hard its an absolute dream in terms of performance and when you're not at ten tenths, it handles very very cleanly. Downsides have been the cramped cabin, vague steering and a clutch that engaged too high in its travel along with the virtual absence of low down torque (a criticism common to many Honda engines, especially VTEC equipped ones).

Personally, I think it's one of the sexiest cars to come out of Japan, ever. It's well up there on my dream cars list and I think that a lot of the negative ratings of the car have come from journos who have driven some of the fastest and most amazing cars in existence and are a little bit blase about a $75k sports car's abilities and compare it a little to closely with the giants of the perfomance motoring world.. Thats my unqualified opinion anyway...

wynode
18-06-2005, 10:11 PM
With ITRs and S2000 I find a lot of reviewers either like the car or they don't like it at all.

type one
19-06-2005, 02:04 AM
The S2000 is built for the circuit and requires a fine touch to drive well... as a street car it looks great - as a track car it performs admirably.

spetz
19-06-2005, 05:27 PM
How would it compete against a DC5R on a track/street?

To be perfectly honest guys I don't like the S2000 at all and would prefer an Integra, prelude or civic coupe over it any day :)
But it's unfair for me to give tha opinion as I don't like roadsters in general (unless it's an SL55 AMG)

LUD02C
19-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Biggest problem is you said "I read it was overrated"
Go out and drive one and make your own mind up!

I have only driven one around the block did about 3 kms if that.
Seemed ok, picked up from down low ok but owner told me no top speed when your on the M4 or whatever!

As for everyones "great track car" and "its made for corners", but have any of you driven one around a track in race mode?
Just curious not having a go at you....
I would love to but I think at a track like Bathurst it would be no good, needs more torque, but Wakefield or Oran Park I think you would have a winner!

.::F[L]Y::.
19-06-2005, 05:32 PM
to some extent i would agree saying that the s2000 is 'over rated'. Although it is an awesome car, power wise it isnt as quick some other cars out on the market for the same amount of dosh ie STI and the s15's.

Personally the real let down for me in regards to the s2000 is the limited interior, to pay close to 80k for a japanese sports car i would expect it to be loaded up with at least a tv screen.

i guess people buy the s2000 for a number of reasons, for me it would be the sexy looks and the nice vtec scream all the way up to 9000rpm :)

my 2c

^^v
19-06-2005, 06:08 PM
As for everyones "great track car" and "its made for corners", but have any of you driven one around a track in race mode?
Just curious not having a go at you....
I would love to but I think at a track like Bathurst it would be no good, needs more torque, but Wakefield or Oran Park I think you would have a winner!

haven’t personally driven around a track in 'race mode'... but i have been a passenger in one.. n the owner gave it a bit around a corner.. wasnt too bad at all...
also know a couple of ppl who have taken it to the tarck.. n from what they've told me .. its got good handling characteristics .. obviously it oversteers slightly if pushed to the limit.. but overall . .handles really well...

also seen the s2k go well against other JDM machines (DC5R.. Rx8) on BMI vidz... i know BMI aint a bible when it comes to comparing cars.. but it comes pretty close... as all the drivers r pros n have similar abilities...

Bathurst? lolz of course it would loose out on that track... low hp/torque cars aren’t suited to long as straights n hill climbs...
but on a tight technical track is where the s2k shines...

hondaboy
19-06-2005, 07:32 PM
over-rated... all depends on who talks it up
id much rather take the opinion of a motoring journalists than a 17yo p plater who got a ride in his cousin's mate's dad's brother's godfather's s2k or whatever

i dont think it was ever meant to be a quick car as such - more of a driver's car in the sense where it is at one with the driver.
based on that, i dont think its overrated, not many stock cars out there that drive as responsively as an s2k

you dont pay $75k for an s2k and expect it to come with a tv, you pay $75k for an s2k because it has been engineered to perform in a certain way

91'lude
19-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I beleive some american magazine, maybe road and track, were amazed how well it performed, they ranked it over than the 350z, and with 75% less engine capacity, it was faster, and handled better, more predictable, and more of a weapon...

If you want speed, for 60k u can buy a ~300kw LS2 clubsport, but the s2000 isnt about that, and it definetly isnt slow... It will never buy a boy racers special, but i have seen it gain alot of respect internationally... More than the NSX ever has.

^^v
19-06-2005, 11:36 PM
over-rated... all depends on who talks it up
id much rather take the opinion of a motoring journalists than a 17yo p plater who got a ride in his cousin's mate's dad's brother's godfather's s2k or whatever

oooh ouch dude! was that directed at me?
if it is
im just making judgement from what i experienced n have seen...

ArSe
20-06-2005, 12:01 AM
It was a aussie source I think.

Actually now that you reminded me it did say that even the ITR engine felt more powerfull or better, and that VTEC kicked in harder?

the harder the vtec kicks in the harder it is to turn a fast corners in some cases hence the dc5r's vtec is more smooth

Q_ball
20-06-2005, 12:04 AM
i was in a S2K last nite on the OH cruise...
my god
it was farkn sooo exilerating...lol - zippin through traffic with ease...
vtec kicks hard too
sounds mad
definately not over ratted IMO

ROCKET
20-06-2005, 12:55 AM
they r gorjs cars
finking bout gettin an S2k for my next ride

TypeRen
20-06-2005, 01:36 AM
hey guyz. im new here, so it'll be rude if i dun introduce myself.. my name is ren, and currently driving a mildly tuned dc2 jap spec and just got a s2k a few dayz ago. just reading some of ur comments and find it very interesting.. i can tell u that the handling on a stock s2k is awsome, the gear box is very percise, and there is plently of power in that engine, i read in many articles about the s2k, and the only thing that went against the car is the cramped cabin. i believe that this car is not even close to being overated. my dc2r was tuned for track, its a very rough car to drive, but handles like crazy.. in terms of handling the s2k is as responsive as this dc2r. You would think u'll feel the weight of the car being over 12,000kg, but feels light as. s2k is fun car to drive, decent power, even more if tweaked, great looks, easy to handle, shifting is a pleasure... wen it comes down to it, i would pick the s2k over the dc2, maybe im getting older. the dc2 is perfect the racer boyz image.

^^v
20-06-2005, 02:10 AM
...You would think u'll feel the weight of the car being over 12,000kg, but feels light as...

damn.. i woulda thought so too.. weighing over 12,000kg.. :D

and welcome to the forum mate!

IRI
20-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Y::.']Although it is an awesome car, power wise it isnt as quick some other cars out on the market for the same amount of dosh ie STI and the s15's.

S15's are slow ass stock..... It's a joke to mention that next to S2K:rolleyes:

20-06-2005, 09:07 AM
S15's are slow ass stock..... It's a joke to mention that next to S2K:rolleyes:

in terms of price comparison.

stock s2000- 75k

stock s15- 40k ish

now in terms of potential for mods for a car like an s15 adding a fmic and an exhaust system does wonders to its power as oppose to the s2000 which has already been fine tuned so its very difficult to get decent power out of the mods you buy for it.

thats what i meant man, but if u wanted speed i guess you wouldnt buy an s2000.

IRI
20-06-2005, 09:49 AM
^ fair enough then. But in temrs of mods, if you got a big enough wallet you can make any shitbox go fast....

Da1nONLY
20-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Y::.']in terms of price comparison.

stock s2000- 75k

stock s15- 40k ish

now in terms of potential for mods for a car like an s15 adding a fmic and an exhaust system does wonders to its power as oppose to the s2000 which has already been fine tuned so its very difficult to get decent power out of the mods you buy for it.

Comparing a N/A Vs FI cars with mods.
why dont we FI the damn thing...and compare it then =)

CONAN
20-06-2005, 10:18 AM
s2000 definately aint over rated. its an awesome car, would come out on top if compared to alot of cars around that price

its just OVERPRICED!! :(
(i just want one)

type one
20-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Taling about race mode, you have to understand that when this car was "designed" for a race track, it was also designed for a specific type of race track and yes it would not suit all fields.

Also don't forget that the car would race in a particular class of vehicles if not against many other similar S2000, where the deciding factor comes down to the driver and choice of tyres, conditions etc.

I think from a pure package point of view, most japanese understand that this car is the platform of 10 years of Type R history and the power unit in this car has been based on the NSX, Integra Type R and then Civic Type R (in that order). Honda is very proud of their Civic Type R and how much power they were able to extract out of the 1.6 - so fo course they aimed to do the same with the 2L power unit in the S2000 - and to that extent it is engineering genius.

THRUST
20-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Not overrated, overpriced!!!
By about $10,000 when new.

BJP S15
20-06-2005, 02:08 PM
i had an S2K for a week about a month ago and I must say i was a bit dissapointed in terms of straight line performance but i wouldnt neccessary call it 'overrated'.

i think pple expect it to be real quick in terms of straight line but it really is a 'driver's car'
awesome handling, good looks and convertible.... only let down i guess was the response of the engine... but you would expect that from owning an S15.

all in all i think its an awesome sexy car but pple expect it to be a monster.

DaPlaya
20-06-2005, 02:49 PM
dont mean to wonder off topic too much, but the S15 comments caught my eye...Have any of the dc2r/dc5r or s2000 guys went up against the s15?

aznsiko
20-06-2005, 02:52 PM
the S2K is one hot car.. and i dont care what people say.. still a car i would love to have and drive... lol..

IRI
20-06-2005, 02:54 PM
dont mean to wonder off topic too much, but the S15 comments caught my eye...Have any of the dc2r/dc5r or s2000 guys went up against the s15?
yep:wave:

Butts
20-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Not overrated, overpriced!!!
By about $10,000 when new.

overpriced and overrated =D

hondaboy
20-06-2005, 03:30 PM
oooh ouch dude! was that directed at me?
if it is
im just making judgement from what i experienced n have seen...

nah nah man wasnt directed at u, just a general statement regarding who's opinion i would consider when it came to car's being overrated or not

91'lude
20-06-2005, 04:26 PM
WTH is everyone comparing a s15 to a s2000!!!! The s15 can be a fully sick drag/drift FI car all it wants and i couldnt give a rats ass, they are two different cars for two different purposes!!!

Id hardly call the s2000 slow, 178kw is not slow. They'd be much nicer if we got the f22

BTW http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=1949&page_number=1 (http://CLICK)

Road and track didnt find the s2000 too boring compared to the 350z and the porshe boxter, etc, there was also alot of "better" cars it upset ;).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2232005151010.jpg (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?article_id=1949&section_id=31&page_number=6)

JINRAI
20-06-2005, 05:57 PM
I want a S2K! be it overrated or not ;)

redliner
20-06-2005, 06:07 PM
overrated or not
i still want one reguardless

91'lude
20-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Y::.']in terms of price comparison.

stock s2000- 75k

stock s15- 40k ish

You mean the s15 will be faster in a streight line? I think you would have to spend a **** load on the s15 for it to touch a stock s2k through the bends, not to mention its old interior, and boring looks.... But with your turbo, you may have something faster in a streight line.

Keep it fair 2, a s2000 is newer, iv seen most Spec R silvia's going for around 35k... iv also seen s2000's going in the 30's, but most 2000 model's would be in the low 40's.

DaPlaya
20-06-2005, 06:58 PM
yep:wave:

lol...and...?

TeMp
20-06-2005, 07:01 PM
You mean the s15 will be faster in a streight line? I think you would have to spend a **** load on the s15 for it to touch a stock s2k through the bends, not to mention its old interior, and boring looks.... But with your turbo, you may have something faster in a streight line.

Keep it fair 2, a s2000 is newer, iv seen most Spec R silvia's going for around 35k... iv also seen s2000's going in the 30's, but most 2000 model's would be in the low 40's.

omg... how can u call the looks of a s15 boring??!?! Man the car looks so aggro!

And its more like the other way around. About 8 months ago my friend bought a spec r for 31k and at the same time i was looking for a s2k which were goin for low 40s (cheapest I found).

The s2k is pure sexxxxxxxxxxx! And the cabin is fine for me! :p

And I agree with most people that the interior of a s15 is a POS.

91'lude
20-06-2005, 07:54 PM
I think a s15 is boring truthfully, and they usually like rice boy with a massive FMIC...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.parson/honda/s2000/186.jpg

http://img259.echo.cx/img259/7186/kitwoolwich4ag.jpg

In comparison, the s2000 makes the s15 look like a family coupe....

20-06-2005, 08:33 PM
seems like some people might have misunderstood what i might have been trying to say so il just rephrase to prevent any misconceptions :p

brand new the s2000 is quite an expensive car hence probably why people would think it is over rated for what it offers. Im not much of a nissan fan, but to be honest with you all i do have a soft spot for the s15 and with minor mods of exhaust and fmic as mentioned before, will pretty much munch and s2000 down the 1/4 mile. The s2000 is in a class of its own as an overall package in terms of looks and its tracking abilities.

to some extent im happy that the s2000 is over priced. It may sound selfish but its high price does help it to maintain its exclusiveness amongst the enthusiasts and for those who truly appreciate the car. If the s2000 were to be priced differently then i would expect it be to ruined by all those would be 'racers' out there with massive t wings and stickers. This seems to be the case with the s15, i have seen so many s15s ruined by dodgy body kits and massive t wings that do nothing else but obstruct the rear view....:(

well thats my opinion on all this. (didnt mean to compare s2000 to a s15) :thumbsup:

91'lude
20-06-2005, 08:56 PM
The s2000 is overpriced, ill call that, the funny thing is, in america its cheaper than a 350z, but over here, its a good 10 grand more... Just comes down to import duties and tax's...

Same the NSX, they are reasonably priced over seas, but here there 240k tag is out ragious.

type one
20-06-2005, 09:55 PM
why do Nissan drivers compare a worhorse like the S15 to a piece of art like the S2000??? they aren't even in the same league... the amount of work that has gone into the engine alone makes the price of the car justified.

blardy hell... f*cken SR20DET is a piece of shit 2L with a turbo strapped to it... if i strapped the same turbo to Hondas b20 block it would blow an S15 IN A STRAIGHT LINE... BAUAHAHAHA... dumb kents.

Just because two cars come from the same country, doesn't mean that thye share the same genealogy.

racinghonda
21-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I have had the fortune of punting a S2000 and a Boxter (2.7L) and have to say that the S2000 was more fun to drive. The gearbox was much better to use and sure it didn't have the midrange punch of the Boxter but the top end rush of the S2k is just awesome. In the Boxter it felt like a sewing machine, flat torque cruve and when you reach max revs you just wished there were another 1000rpm or so. In the S2k the engine just gave and gave. In terms of handling, the Boxter is easier to drive but the S2k's chassis felt much stiffer, less flex and twist in its body. And in terms of build quality, the Sk2 wins hands down. I don't think its overrated at all, its just that our motoring journalist are too used to american style musscle cars and have forgoten the poor joy of a slick gearbox and revvy engine. On my drive of the S2k through some twisty mountain roads, it was so easy to keep the engine between 6000-9000rpm. The 'box is fantastic. I it just looks amazing, its the classic drop top 2 seater. I wished I had the means to own one. I am not a big fan of convertibles because of the lack of chassis regidity but the S2k is stiffer than a lot of closed top cars I have driven.

IRI
21-06-2005, 09:03 AM
lol...and...?
Well you didnt ask for a story:rolleyes:

DaPlaya
21-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Well you didnt ask for a story:rolleyes:
:!: well wats the story son? :cool:

IRI
21-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Dun wanna get banned for posting unrelated stuff....

DaPlaya
21-06-2005, 12:51 PM
please send it to me on pm, very interested

IRI
21-06-2005, 01:50 PM
pm on its way;)

PERTH_EURO
21-06-2005, 03:23 PM
overrated or not
i still want one reguardless

im hearing ya.
:thumbsup:

91'lude
21-06-2005, 05:15 PM
How did this conversation degrade from intelligent thought out answers to pure spam in the space of half a page?

bigdongers
21-06-2005, 10:28 PM
overpriced not overrated.

I personally would not get a S2K new when considering the other cars you could get for the money

CONAN
22-06-2005, 12:38 AM
80k driveaway is very priceyyyy indeed