PDA

View Full Version : EK9 and EK1 hatch

Terry
18-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Is EK9 and EK1 hatch were made from the same hatch body? or is EK9 do have a stronger chassis compare with EK1? thx

barefootbonzai
18-06-2005, 10:39 PM
EK9 chassy is stronger than the EK4 so i'm guess it's better then the EK1. Does anyone does if there is any difference between the EK4 and EK1?

EK9
18-06-2005, 11:09 PM
yes, the EK9 chasis is stronger then the EK1/4, it has reinforced/stronger welds (or sumfing like dat). there's more i fink, but i'll leave that to sumone else to explain. ;)

Terry
18-06-2005, 11:10 PM
If EK9 chassis is stronger......does Honda use different material to made them compare the EK1 hatch? or simply just the sussy set up made ppl gererally "feel" they are stronger? :confused: What is the most cost effective way to make the chassis as stong as EK9?

EK9
18-06-2005, 11:17 PM
doubt if it's a different material... i know the weld points r stronger, also there's an extra bar at the front (behind the bumper) that's only on the EK9 (well that's wot i've been told, seen it on my car). I'll find a pic, i've posted it sumwhere. There's also a lower tie bar (??? hope that's wot it's called lol ) that's factory welded on the EK9 that EK4/1's also don't have.

pgclee
18-06-2005, 11:22 PM
take out the cover above the tyre then you will know why...

EK9
18-06-2005, 11:26 PM
this is called a front rebar... not 100% sure if it's specific to the EK9 only. there's also supposed to be a rear rebar on the EK9, a metal bar behind the rear bumper. if EK4's dun have these bits, then i guess these are sum of the differences in the chasis.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator3.jpg

EK9
18-06-2005, 11:27 PM
take out the cover above the tyre then you will know why...
huh? can u elaborate cos even i dunno wot u mean :p

NightRyder
18-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Hey EK9, can i swap your car with mine?..hehehe...j/k :D

I could have sworn i saw something similar in my Ek4 (that bar shown in pic), although the front lower bar I know Ek4's don't have..(someone correct me if I am wrong)..

and sorry to be stealing the thread, but the sway bar and front lower bar of an Ek9 fit an Ek4?

EK9
18-06-2005, 11:47 PM
haha ;)

yeah i fink there's sumfing similar on the EK4, but i saw on a site that they sold this front and rear rebar as an EK9 part... but like i said i ain't 100% sure either. just goin on wot i read, dat's all :confused:

Terry
18-06-2005, 11:53 PM
U can take away anything u want from him:D ......j/k..... yes it will be 100% fit....... Back to the question.....what is the most cost effective way to make chassis stronger besides of adding all sort of sway bar coilovers etc?:confused: How much does it cost for chassis re-enforcement?

EK9
18-06-2005, 11:57 PM
chasis reenforcement?!? err wouldn't that require alot of work? ie stripping, welding, etc... sounds like alot of $$ to me. strut/tower/tie bars etc are probably the best way to stiffen the chasis imo. they're bolt ons, so dun require too much work.

NightRyder
18-06-2005, 11:57 PM
haha ;)

yeah i fink there's sumfing similar on the EK4, but i saw on a site that they sold this front and rear rebar as an EK9 part... but like i said i ain't 100% sure either. just goin on wot i read, dat's all :confused:

Nah, that's cool...
I might have to double check myself.
I've noticed a lot of people selling Ek parts (on other sites) often tend to put 'EK9' in the title to make it sound more interesting and attracts buyers quite a lot..but then again they could be legit. So, what can I say...

EK9
18-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Nah, that's cool...
I might have to double check myself.
I've noticed a lot of people selling Ek parts (on other sites) often tend to put 'EK9' in the title to make it sound more interesting and attracts buyers quite a lot..but then again they could be legit. So, what can I say...
check it out here http://www.aj-racing.com/pages.php?page_id=jdm-ek
i'm pretty sure they're a reputable shop in da US.

Terry
19-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Let say a EK1 fit in the 27mm fount sway bar, 24mm rear sway bar, fully adjustable coilover and such would that potentially causing any damage for the chassis? since they are way much bigger that the factory one and chassis is not strong as EK9.......:confused:

Limbo
19-06-2005, 01:37 AM
Let say a EK1 fit in the 27mm fount sway bar, 24mm rear sway bar, fully adjustable coilover and such would that potentially causing any damage for the chassis? since they are way much bigger that the factory one and chassis is not strong as EK9.......:confused:

Mate i don't think that is gonna cause any damage. It will only strengthen the chassis. I think that the ek9 has a few additions like that front bar that goes across the front. I know the ek4 doesn't have that, also the lower tie bars to strengthen the chassis. You can do this by adding your own it is just that factory the ek9 have them.
You will prob find the same points where you could put the ek9 parts on.

Terry
19-06-2005, 01:42 AM
cool! thx a lot:D

CTR Coupe
19-06-2005, 01:55 AM

That’s a pretty insane setup for the street. Why are you getting a 27mm front sway bar?
You will need coil overs and have them turned up high all the time, otherwise your going to tear your sub frame.

Terry
19-06-2005, 07:55 AM
27mm fount sway bar is too big?:confused:

There is the figure i got (Fount Sway Bar).....
EG SiR...................19mm
Integra Type-R.......25mm
Mugen...................26mm

DC2R 98Spec Rear Sway Bar.......24mm

Just want to have a car handling like a Civic Type-R:o

Limbo
19-06-2005, 10:32 AM
i believe the ek4 has 24mm?

Steer^Gimic
19-06-2005, 10:44 AM
anyone watch that dvd (hot version??) where JUN spot weld, cage and poor that solidifying liquid into chassis rails etc.?

fuk this sway bar shit, thats what you gotta do. lol

spoondc2
19-06-2005, 11:50 AM
anyone watch that dvd (hot version??) where JUN spot weld, cage and poor that solidifying liquid into chassis rails etc.?

fuk this sway bar shit, thats what you gotta do. lol

Those foam thing? Yeah..... i did it on my car before, useless after 1 year.... the foam shrinks... and it's bloody expensive too

And i think Ek9 and ek4 front or rear sway are not interchangable, i think the rear? The mount won't fit well? Not 100% sure, don't count on me

And i thought EK9 don't have the welding chassis like ITR, cos that's what Mr. Spoon said when he try to compare EK9 and DC2R in some DVD. And the the in front and rear bumper really works well, i DIY the one on the front and you can really tell the difference, i really mean i feel it, not like when ppl put and front strut bar and say..... oh.... i feel the chassis is lot stronger..... NOT that at all....

Anyway i think low arm bar do better work than strut bar, i don't mean it's no point to put strut bar in but i think low arm bar and sway bar do lot better work on car's chassis

My 0.02c only

spoondc2
19-06-2005, 11:55 AM
27mm fount sway bar is too big?:confused:

There is the figure i got (Fount Sway Bar).....
EG SiR...................19mm
Integra Type-R.......25mm
Mugen...................26mm

DC2R 98Spec Rear Sway Bar.......24mm

Just want to have a car handling like a Civic Type-R:o

My opinion...... don't aim for handling like a Type-R, aim better than that. I mean don't get OEM type-r parts, get something better unless you really don't care about it much

and ITR 98 spec F/R swaybar is 25mm/23mm, Mugen 26/24&26, VTI-R 24/14, mugen vti-r 22/24. They are just for reference only and don't compare it with civic's swaybar, mugen have lot thicker swaybar for civics

Terry
19-06-2005, 11:56 AM
thx for the info....very helpful indeed:D

DIY job is on your civic or on the integra? could u explain more? thx

vinhy
19-06-2005, 12:44 PM
yes i believe that the front swaybar is interchangable with ek9 and ek4. but rear isnt. mugen has 28mm and 30mm at the front. mugen has a rear one for ek4 going from 18/20/22mm.

gelo
22-06-2005, 12:48 AM
check it out here http://www.aj-racing.com/pages.php?page_id=jdm-ek
i'm pretty sure they're a reputable shop in da US.

ek9
your rebars are white
but ont he aj-racing site
they are black

they wouldnt paint somethign like that right?
since it doenst get seen anyway

y wouldnt a ek9 rear sway fit on an ek4?
i think some member on OH has a ek9 sway on his civic

Tu88y
22-06-2005, 08:03 AM
y wouldnt a ek9 rear sway fit on an ek4?
i think some member on OH has a ek9 sway on his civic

I thought they are all interchangeable with the EK series....

spoondc2
22-06-2005, 01:48 PM
thx for the info....very helpful indeed:D

DIY job is on your civic or on the integra? could u explain more? thx

Oh it's on my integra before, i remove the bumper and do some drill and bolt job to put a bar across just like what Type-R got. Hardest part is to measure.... and..... drill......... :( My arm died for so many hours after that

spoondc2
22-06-2005, 01:51 PM
I thought they are all interchangeable with the EK series....

I think it's because the mounting bit doesn't go up properly, still not 100% sure though........ I remember you need some ek9 parts to fit the ek9 front or rear sway onto ek4

BlitZ
22-06-2005, 03:50 PM
em1 comes with std 26mm front sway bar.. the rear is a small ass 13mm..

Im not sure about weld reinforcements.. but the ek9 has a thicker rear subframe.. designed for the alrger sway bar...

Hasnt the Ek1's and ek4's got a larger metal cross memeber in the front..
Correct if im wrong.. the aus ek has a much larger front cross bar on that a foam then the bumper....

Its proabably deisigned for low australian speed impact collision measures.. AUS STD..
not too sure about this though

this is called a front rebar... not 100% sure if it's specific to the EK9 only. there's also supposed to be a rear rebar on the EK9, a metal bar behind the rear bumper. if EK4's dun have these bits, then i guess these are sum of the differences in the chasis.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Airbox%20resonator%20removal/resonator3.jpg

mini_s2000
22-06-2005, 04:15 PM
yeah thats correct. i just took off my front bar and found that the aus ek has a much larger front cross bar on that a foam then the bumper.

mini_s2000
22-06-2005, 04:24 PM
although the ek9 has alot for structual inforcement, the ek1 is lighter! i'd prefer the lighter chassis...

Terry
22-06-2005, 05:24 PM
although the ek9 has alot for structual inforcement, the ek1 is lighter! i'd prefer the lighter chassis...
Yes is light but if u drop in a powerful engine then may be u will feel that car is not solid enough for the increase G-force.......but i feel EK have a more soild chassis then EG....would anyone agree with me?

mini_s2000
22-06-2005, 05:33 PM
thats true... the weight difference between the 2 is about 200kg! thats a huge difference in power to weight!

Terry
22-06-2005, 05:46 PM
EM1 stock fount sway bar is 26mm? gezzz that's thick!:!:

mini_s2000
22-06-2005, 05:50 PM
yeah but it's hollow

EK9
22-06-2005, 07:07 PM
ek9
your rebars are white
but ont he aj-racing site
they are black

they wouldnt paint somethign like that right?
since it doenst get seen anyway
the ajr ek isn't a genuine ctr, it's the US remember ;) think they've just put on an oem rebar, probably stock black from Honda.

BlitZ
27-06-2005, 12:57 PM
yeah but it's hollow
nah its definitly solid...

gelo
10-07-2005, 06:52 PM
just need some confirmation from anyone that know for sure

is the oem ek9 and oem ek4 rear sway bar interchangable
i know the ek9 rear tie bar doesnt fit due to the rear sub frame of ek9 being different
but since ek9 and ek4 both have a sway bar
could the ek9 one be a straight fit?

Newcivic
10-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Nice car Ek9!

Limbo
10-07-2005, 09:15 PM
I believe so You will note the EK9 and EK4 Frame are identical. The rear tiebar is put on a point where the EK9 is welded on the frame. I believe the swaybars should be identical and fit. The price for an EK9 swaybar your better off getting a whiteline adjustable swaybar.

eknine
11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
just need some confirmation from anyone that know for sure

is the oem ek9 and oem ek4 rear sway bar interchangable (No and Yes)
no - if you are referring to direct replacement,
Yes- if you employ the use of beaks kit, drill 2 holes, including the use of stock d-brackets + the rubber mounts (from the ITR).

i know the ek9 rear tie bar doesnt fit due to the rear sub frame of ek9 being different (that is correct!)

but since ek9 and ek4 both have a sway bar
could the ek9 one be a straight fit? (Your question is not quite clear, but if you are referring to the front, it is the same size as the CTR. if you are referring to the rear, see above.)

drop me a PM if you need more info..but as usual it takes me ages to reply ;)

gelo
12-07-2005, 01:12 AM
thanx eknine
pm sent

BlitZ
13-07-2005, 10:25 PM
the CTR sway should directly bolt to a EK4 or 1..... with no probs..
but u might might get it torn out..... ahahhah

the ITR rear sway is as above mentioned by ek9

gelo
13-07-2005, 10:27 PM
the CTR sway should directly bolt to a EK4 or 1..... with no probs..

what do you mean?

BlitZ
13-07-2005, 10:28 PM
which part?

gelo
13-07-2005, 10:28 PM

and

BlitZ
13-07-2005, 10:31 PM
i presume the ek9 sway bar mounts the same as ek4..
DC2 is different... and u would need beaks kit

and

you would get subframe tear out

gelo
13-07-2005, 10:37 PM
could u explain the subframe tear out

just becasue of the bigger size of the sway?

BlitZ
13-07-2005, 10:42 PM
u atleast need the renenforcements..
The rear subframe of ek4/ek1 isnt meant to support a larger 22 mm sway bar.. it would therefore be the weakest point of contact causeing it to rip apart under load..

thats y nowdays alot of kits come with reenforcements..
eg whiteline

gelo
13-07-2005, 10:45 PM
what could i do in order to reinforce the subframe?
i dont wanna watse my sway bar
btw
thanx for informing me about this

BlitZ
13-07-2005, 10:53 PM
u cna buy the reinforcements separately from whiteline.. dont know how much it would be though...

else make one yourself... just copy other peoples design...

else get the ASR reenforcement kit.. but i thik this option is like au$500

gelo
13-07-2005, 11:00 PM
u cna buy the reinforcements separately from whiteline.. dont know how much it would be though...

else make one yourself... just copy other peoples design...

else get the ASR reenforcement kit.. but i thik this option is like au$500

what are the reinforcements called?
is there a name for them?
or are they just like swaybar reinfrocements?

BlitZ
13-07-2005, 11:02 PM
sway bar renforcement brackets..
they would know exactly what u are talkin about

Terry
13-07-2005, 11:24 PM
sway bar renforcement brackets..
they would know exactly what u are talkin about

Does it means that the yellow color sway bar holder?

PS:i watched Best Motoring Vtec Club Vol.1 today.....now i understand why CTR rear subframe is a lot thicker than EK1 and EK4......structure is different....hope EK9 can post some pic about that :D so that everyone here can understand.....

Civic Type R
14-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Im not sure if its already been mentioned but im sure the EK9 does not have side intrusion beams and as EK9 mentioned, the front and rear intrusion bars are different.

The chassis is extra rivetted on the EK9.

You can buy chassis reinforcement brackets and body parts used in circuit racing. I have also seen many EK9's have these brackets etc welded to them. The latest HyperRev magazine has a few examples.