PDA

View Full Version : panel or pod filter for jazz?

Jazzle
20-06-2005, 06:15 PM
guys,, just suddenly got this question coming across... is it wise to use a pod filter on jazz vtec instead of a panel one?? coz as far as i know, mugen and spoon both remain using a panel filter do they?? :confused:
maybe it's better off not to use pod to keep the low rpm torque?

asiansquad
20-06-2005, 06:21 PM
i got pod filter on my jazz and it runs/sounds better than before :)

i did lose abit of the low rpm torque..but after installing the x-force header, it solved the problem and now i've gained from low - high rpm torque

Jus-10
20-06-2005, 07:12 PM
mate do a search please...this has come up numerous times.

If you look for the dyno results of the Ruf Intake you will see that pod is the best - it is proven to offer gains across the entire rev-range.....a panel filter is a worthless mod. You may as well just keep the OEM one....

I have also run up my car on the dyno with the Apex'i intake...this to resulted in NO LOSS of power any where in the rev range.

So the answer is simple and PROVEN.

TypeG
20-06-2005, 07:21 PM
i will vote for panel one
what mugen and spoon have is a good example on what to go.

asiansquad
20-06-2005, 07:39 PM
it doesn't hurt to try putting a pod in..and if you like it stay with it..if you don't then go back to the stock panel.

i bought a cheap $30 pod just to test it out..and it's fine..i'm planning to change to a different filter soon

ahcash
20-06-2005, 07:43 PM
HEHEHE... here we go again... :D

ahcash
20-06-2005, 07:44 PM
it doesn't hurt to try putting a pod in..and if you like it stay with it..if you don't then go back to the stock panel.

i bought a cheap $30 pod just to test it out..and it's fine..i'm planning to change to a different filter soon

YEAH ... like me... went back to stock !!!

asiansquad
20-06-2005, 07:45 PM
haha how come ahcash? wat was wrong with it?

ahcash
20-06-2005, 07:48 PM
haha how come ahcash? wat was wrong with it?

Nothing wrong ar... like what you said.. since the woman is driving the car 80% of the time, she would prefer to have more low to mid range where the stockie is more approporiate for her... and also fuel efficient.

If I am driving.. :D :D POD !!!!!!! even though it drinks more fuel!!! Off course lah.. rev like no tomorrow.. :thumbsup:

asiansquad
20-06-2005, 07:50 PM
hehe ...funny thing is my car uses less petrol than before

asiansquad
20-06-2005, 09:27 PM
y?

because of this...

Nothing wrong ar... like what you said.. since the woman is driving the car 80% of the time, she would prefer to have more low to mid range where the stockie is more approporiate for her... and also fuel efficient.

If I am driving.. :D :D POD !!!!!!! even though it drinks more fuel!!! Off course lah.. rev like no tomorrow.. :thumbsup:

Zimp13
20-06-2005, 09:54 PM
come on guys... no matter wat there are pros and cons in every set up.... depending on preference....

spoon fit
20-06-2005, 10:16 PM
better get the panel filter

asiansquad
20-06-2005, 10:19 PM
if you really wanan feel/hear the difference yourself...it's best to try both..doesn't cost much to try both...i switched to pod 2 months ago and i don't wanna go back to panel.

spoon fit
20-06-2005, 10:21 PM
if you really wanan feel/hear the difference yourself...it's best to try both..doesn't cost much to try both...i switched to pod 2 months ago and i don't wanna go back to panel.

yes, i know cos the sound
and u r street racer :D

asiansquad
20-06-2005, 10:21 PM
it sounds mad when you hit 4000 rev :D

makes you think the jazz is a beast

civiceg9
20-06-2005, 10:25 PM
It depends on how you drive your car and how much power you want.
If you want low to mid rev power get the panel filter, it will do the daily work.
If you want mid to high rev power, or max power, get the pot filter

I don't have my car at high revs all the time so I have a panel filter with a cold air intake direct from the front to my stock box. Performs and does a good job to my liking, and there is next to no noise.

This topic has been on so many times.

TypeG
20-06-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah and everytime ppl will argue with spoon or mugen. cant help much

D16Y
21-06-2005, 12:09 AM
it sounds mad when you hit 4000 rev :D

makes you think the jazz is a beast

record it for us mate :D

GD1 Jazz
21-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I`ve tried the MUGEN panel, overall i would say not bad at all for my GD1 Jazz as the engine feels lighter whenever i stepped on the gas. But for that price i think it`s abit too steep for that kinda mod tho.

asiansquad
21-06-2005, 05:40 AM
record it for us mate :D

hehe it's really hard to record..u'll get all these other sounds from the wind and sh|t

ahcash
21-06-2005, 09:22 AM
It depends on how you drive your car and how much power you want.
If you want low to mid rev power get the panel filter, it will do the daily work.
If you want mid to high rev power, or max power, get the pot filter

I don't have my car at high revs all the time so I have a panel filter with a cold air intake direct from the front to my stock box. Performs and does a good job to my liking, and there is next to no noise.

This topic has been on so many times.

Agreed !!! :thumbsup:

BTW, how much is the ballpark figure $$$ for the Mugen and the SPOON??? Anyone got a pix?? So far, I've only seen the Trust one (GD1) which cannot be fitted into MY05 GD3 I think. It's different size.

muli
21-06-2005, 05:42 PM
with trust panel filter my car was pumping out 60kw, with CAI it gained just slightly under 2kw, with pod i got over 4kw and no drop in low revs, with aircon on i do notice a drop taking off slowly. But as someone pointed out it does sound mad above 4k rpm, anyone got a 3 phone ill email some clippies

D16Y
21-06-2005, 05:46 PM
haha send em over! check pm

ahcash
21-06-2005, 06:31 PM
email can ???

Jus-10
21-06-2005, 08:06 PM
OK...you bone heads who still go on about panel filters being better have forced me to post up the dyno sheet yet again to PROVE what the answer is. Speculation, opinions and claims are not proof...either is dropping big name Jap companies

Spoon and Mugen can go eat a d*ck as far as I am concerned...I will argue with them until the sun comes up, simply because a pod WILL produce better results.

FYI the reason Spoon developed a filter for the stock intake is because the car is based on N1 specs/regulations. N1 = stock - they can't even modify the airbox!

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=518/1083Dyno-2-med.jpg

Now to make things as simple and as clear for everyone as I possibly can, I will step eveyone through it:

The RED line is the STOCK airbox. The BLUE line is the POD FILTER.

Now for all those that still believe that a panel filter will be better, please tell me where the BLUE line goes below the RED line? (yes it touches it briefly)

Even in the lower graph (the dotted lines) you can see the torque readings....and what do you know? The blue line doesn't go below the red line there either.

So as you can see, this dyno print out PROVES that a pod filter will not lose power or torque ANYWHERE. It is as simple as that. Even if you can't read, you can look at the pretty little lines and see how it all works.

If you can't understand that, you deserve to waste your money on a replacement panel filter. But no doubt there will be those that still insist a panel is better because their brother's girlfirend's, cousin's, father's friend who is a "top notch" mechanic said so!

:thumbsup:

ahcash
21-06-2005, 08:30 PM
HAHAHA... :D

What's the difference between the top blue and red line and the bottom blue and red line??? :D

Jus-10
21-06-2005, 08:34 PM
The top one is power....the bottom one is torque.

I had a local anaesthetic jabbed in my back today and I think it is spreading to my brain and making me irritable!

TypeG
21-06-2005, 09:02 PM
spoon and mugen go to eat di ck , sound like we all need to go custom made parts guy

spoon fit
21-06-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.australianmade.com.au/images/guidecover_small.jpghttp://www.ozhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cheesygrin.gif

tonmasi
21-06-2005, 10:02 PM
mate do a search please...this has come up numerous times.

If you look for the dyno results of the Ruf Intake you will see that pod is the best - it is proven to offer gains across the entire rev-range.....a panel filter is a worthless mod. You may as well just keep the OEM one....

I have also run up my car on the dyno with the Apex'i intake...this to resulted in NO LOSS of power any where in the rev range.

So the answer is simple and PROVEN.

Jus,

Did you do that with stock exhust? if not (i.e. if you still use stock exhust), would it still be NO LOSS of power any where in the rev range?

Because I am a bit confuse :confused: thanks

i got pod filter on my jazz and it runs/sounds better than before :)

i did lose abit of the low rpm torque..but after installing the x-force header, it solved the problem and now i've gained from low - high rpm torque

civiceg9
21-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Spoon and Mugen can go eat a d*ck as far as I am concerned...I will argue with them until the sun comes up, simply because a pod WILL produce better results.

The million of dollars big company research in
I think we better not get anything thing from a big company or Jap
made in China all the way :D

JazzR
21-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Jus-10, I love your explaination! :D :thumbsup:

asiansquad
22-06-2005, 04:23 AM
i totally agree with Jus-10, just because they're mugen/spoon and they're a big company, it still doesn't make their cars the best.

The stock panels don't even suck as much air as the pod does, stock panels might have colder air going in because of how it's made, but they are still not sucking as much air. With a decent pipe attached with a decent size pod, it will for sure suck in more (cold) air.

You can't always use mugen or spoon to compare with products made by other not so well known companies.

Also, why do you think some drag cars only have a pipe and no pod or panel? That's because they know with just the pipe, they'll suck in alot more air and give them better performance.

TypeG, if you think panel gives u more performance than pod, how abt i give you a run and we'll see how it goes?

spoon fit
22-06-2005, 07:15 AM
i

Also, why do you think some drag cars only have a pipe and no pod or panel? That's because they know with just the pipe, they'll suck in alot more air and give them better performance.

r we talking abt a street car?

kuso
22-06-2005, 07:59 AM
not trying to be a smart ass... but if you really want a comparison between big names and your custom intake... need to do a dyno run of mugen panel, spoon panel, your custom intake and stock...

that way it really does prove it...

this only proves that your stock panel is inferior to the custom intake.

I know its unlikely but for a definite conclusion... that needs to be done to rule out the chance that mugen or spoon panels actually perform better than the pod ones.

muli
22-06-2005, 08:40 AM
jus-10, were your dyno's with fan or no fan?

haha send em over! check pm

did you get it, the sound quality might not be as good cause i think the phone re-encodes it to lower quality

email can ???

just pm your email and i will
you can also listen/watch these videos on pc, just need a 3gp player

ahcash
22-06-2005, 09:27 AM
TypeG... go dyno your car and show us the graph... :D

Cannot believe we are still going on with the debate, but then.. interesting.. :D

My view: different car got different setup... Jus10 setup with the RUF intake produce X amount of Kw/Torque... doesn't mean that if you use the RUF intake, you will get the same result.. or even if you use any custom intake, it will have the same gain... like what Jus said before, even the length of the intake makes a different..

My point is.. you have to look at the total car setup.. more air intake doesn't really mean better gain... it depends if you car needs it? If not, you will loose power instead of gaining...

This is totally IMO..

asiansquad
22-06-2005, 10:08 AM
r we talking abt a street car?

hahaha aren't we???

TypeG
22-06-2005, 12:05 PM
TypeG... go dyno your car and show us the graph... :D

Cannot believe we are still going on with the debate, but then.. interesting.. :D

My view: different car got different setup... Jus10 setup with the RUF intake produce X amount of Kw/Torque... doesn't mean that if you use the RUF intake, you will get the same result.. or even if you use any custom intake, it will have the same gain... like what Jus said before, even the length of the intake makes a different..

My point is.. you have to look at the total car setup.. more air intake doesn't really mean better gain... it depends if you car needs it? If not, you will loose power instead of gaining...

This is totally IMO..

well, different weather, different dyno (well even on the same dyno), different setup, different tuning will give u different figure. why post the dyno sheet and think it is a bible.

TypeG
22-06-2005, 12:09 PM
not trying to be a smart ass... but if you really want a comparison between big names and your custom intake... need to do a dyno run of mugen panel, spoon panel, your custom intake and stock...

I know its unlikely but for a definite conclusion... that needs to be done to rule out the chance that mugen or spoon panels actually perform better than the pod ones.

I am not rich enough to test like that. Maybe some ppl really want to proof that can do this. gagagaga. But that's a nice point.

MR Spyder
22-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Here's a photo of my Fit with the APEXi open pod, with DIY heat shield. :)

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/33/87/4167833/12877509518682l.jpg

There's very little (in fact, no loss) in the low-end when I changed to this set-up. BTW, I'm from Singapore! :wave:

TypeG
22-06-2005, 04:41 PM
errrrrr the head shield is a bit useless or u have take the cover off for photshoot?

destrukshn
22-06-2005, 04:48 PM
yeah go for the POD, its got a deeper sound in to your car.

MR Spyder
22-06-2005, 05:02 PM
errrrrr the head shield is a bit useless or u have take the cover off for photshoot?

In a hot country like SGP, heat shield is neccessary, else the car will feel very laggy! :( I basically shielded the bottom and rear of the filter, as u can see.. :D

spoon fit
22-06-2005, 05:55 PM
mr spyder, show us ur car's pic http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cheesygrin.gif

kuso
22-06-2005, 06:43 PM

Was directing this at Jus-10 ><

I know everyone accepts that pod out performs panels. But as I said, just by showing us a custom pod VS stock panel only shows improvements. It doens't allow for comparison between other intakes that can improve as well.

ahcash
22-06-2005, 08:28 PM
In a hot country like SGP, heat shield is neccessary, else the car will feel very laggy! :( I basically shielded the bottom and rear of the filter, as u can see.. :D

Mr Spyder, was wondering where do you get the heat shield from.. Any info will be appreciated...

Zimp13
22-06-2005, 08:35 PM
in singapore they are everywhere man... hehehe

TypeG
22-06-2005, 08:38 PM

but why not cover the top part as well?

spoon fit
22-06-2005, 08:39 PM

i think he want to show us his filter :D

ahcash
22-06-2005, 08:53 PM
in singapore they are everywhere man... hehehe

dls australia.. that's it danny.. I am going with you .. :thumbsup:

Zimp13
22-06-2005, 08:56 PM
dls australia.. that's it danny.. I am going with you .. :thumbsup:

hehehe... here also got lar... autobarn, repco, supercheap auto.... all the same shit man...... hahaha

Jus-10
22-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Look I agree that to get a definite conclusion on this, one would need to test all types back-to-back. The costs involved simply won't see that happen I guess...well I won't be doing it anyway...I still think people would question the results anyway, so what's the point?

But, it comes down to common sense. I have posted up the dyno results because apart from muli, I am the only one that has gone to the trouble to do anything to prove results on my car so that every Jazz owner can benefit. What you do with these results is up to the individual and I understand that some people will never get it...they won't fully comprehand that a couple of guys in Sydney can spend hours on end developing and testing a product that works and outperforms all the big name Japs. That's fine, but I like to think that my efforts are of some benefit and what I have to say is from personal and proven experience, not simply heresay.

When I say a pod will be better, I don't simply mean stick a pod on and you'll be right...you need the right setup as Honda engines can be very tempremental. Ruf spent the time to get things spot-on, and muli has had similar success with his pod setup.

By simply replacing the filter in the factory box will not give you gains anywhere near the vacinity of what we have achieved. The reason being that the problem is the design of the factory air box. You might be lucky and gain a kw, but you won't see the gains that we have because the air flow patterns will be the same (though perhaps slightly less restricted). If you think a replacement panel filter will see your car gain 3kw at the wheels, then you're kidding yourself.

I am not just drumming up the Ruf kit either. We saw excellent gains from the Apex'i kit as well (about 1kw down on the Ruf kit) so don't think that I am just trying to sell the Ruf kit....

But everyone do as you wish.

kuso
22-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Look I agree that to get a definite conclusion on this, one would need to test all types back-to-back. The costs involved simply won't see that happen I guess...well I won't be doing it anyway...I still think people would question the results anyway, so what's the point?

But, it comes down to common sense. I have posted up the dyno results because apart from muli, I am the only one that has gone to the trouble to do anything to prove results on my car so that every Jazz owner can benefit. What you do with these results is up to the individual and I understand that some people will never get it...they won't fully comprehand that a couple of guys in Sydney can spend hours on end developing and testing a product that works and outperforms all the big name Japs. That's fine, but I like to think that my efforts are of some benefit and what I have to say is from personal and proven experience, not simply heresay.

When I say a pod will be better, I don't simply mean stick a pod on and you'll be right...you need the right setup as Honda engines can be very tempremental. Ruf spent the time to get things spot-on, and muli has had similar success with his pod setup.

By simply replacing the filter in the factory box will not give you gains anywhere near the vacinity of what we have achieved. The reason being that the problem is the design of the factory air box. You might be lucky and gain a kw, but you won't see the gains that we have because the air flow patterns will be the same (though perhaps slightly less restricted). If you think a replacement panel filter will see your car gain 3kw at the wheels, then you're kidding yourself.

I am not just drumming up the Ruf kit either. We saw excellent gains from the Apex'i kit as well (about 1kw down on the Ruf kit) so don't think that I am just trying to sell the Ruf kit....

But everyone do as you wish.

I never said it was bad... so don't get me wrong. I admire the fact you guys went to the trouble. Personally, from such a small NA engine, I think a 4kw gain is quite substantial from what you could say, a simple mod.

I am only trying to put it in context so its not misleaded... Since these trials don't exist... it is hard to be definitive. But it can be safe to hypothesize.

You know what i mean... excuse my technicality >,<

Jus-10
22-06-2005, 09:58 PM
No I understand what you are saying, and I would happily retract all my statements if someone were to show otherwise.

I am not just arguing the fact that from my results, the pod is better, more so that a lot of people are making claims/statements with nothing substantial to back it up....that's my point.

If someone has a a trust or spoon filter they would like to lend me, I will gladly arrange to run it up on the dyno and do back to back testing against the stock filter and the Ruf....(i can't run Mugen because it is only for the update)

Not sure if I ever said this either, but we also run the car on the dyno without the box attached (so it's basically running unrestricted) to get a different perspective and there was no gain at all over the factory box which was pretty surprising.

And yes we ran a fan on the dyno....you would be completely stupid otherwise!

TypeG
22-06-2005, 10:06 PM
i wont like to backup my statement but even i have my car dyno, i wont think it will show panel filter is betetr than pod since i got quite a few of mod so do your car and I cant be fxxk to take all the mod out just to prove u are wrong. but again, pod and panel filter will get extra kw and depends what u after.

Zimp13
22-06-2005, 10:15 PM
i believe that spending $1XX for drop in filter panel is a waste for money compared with the pod filter.... anyway.... do wat u guys like ok?????

GD1 Jazz
23-06-2005, 01:38 AM

:wave: Hi MR Spyder, a pleasant suprise to see u here dude...

ahcash
23-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Have to say .... Jus-10, we appreciate all your effort and sharing your dyno results with us... like what Danny said... do what you guys think is better for your setup or feel better with the car... :thumbsup:

muli
23-06-2005, 12:27 PM
If someone has a a trust or spoon filter they would like to lend me, I will gladly arrange to run it up on the dyno and do back to back testing against the stock filter and the Ruf....(i can't run Mugen because it is only for the update)

And yes we ran a fan on the dyno....you would be completely stupid otherwise!

I doubt a panel filter would offer as much increase in performance as a pod, i dont see it possible.
With trust panel filter and aiming fan at different parts of the front of the car i got almost 1.5-2kw gain.
I had a run without a fan :) with the pod i was quite happy with my results, with a fan run do you have the bonnet open or closed?

ill try to get my dyno sheet of me friend.

MR Spyder
23-06-2005, 01:31 PM
:wave: Hi MR Spyder, a pleasant suprise to see u here dude...

Hey!! Good to see you in here tooo! Came across this forum in FJC one day.. Found it to be quite good! :) Larnt a few more things in here that FJC don't.. Hee...

How're you, bro? Love your Fit man...

MR Spyder
23-06-2005, 01:34 PM

I actually have the top covered, but I removed it show you guys how I shielded my filter. :D IMHO, its best that you cover the top, as you can feel the difference, just based on throttle respones.. also, it won't be as noisy (if you're using K&N, that is).

GD1 Jazz
23-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Hey!! Good to see you in here tooo! Came across this forum in FJC one day.. Found it to be quite good! :) Larnt a few more things in here that FJC don't.. Hee...

How're you, bro? Love your Fit man...

Hehehe...i`m from FJC too bro, but with a diff user name here...

spoon fit
23-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I actually have the top covered, but I removed it show you guys how I shielded my filter. :D IMHO, its best that you cover the top, as you can feel the difference, just based on throttle respones.. also, it won't be as noisy (if you're using K&N, that is).

ur car's pic? :D

Vti-S JAZZ
24-06-2005, 02:00 PM
i havn't been through the entire thread, but i just put the apexi filter on my jazz 10 min ago, and i'll tell ya now, it aint coming off

nor will i be trying out a pannel filter

low down, i could not tell any change, then say 3500ish noise and woosh revs much smoother and quicker, sounds good to

my car is otherwise 100% stock

asiansquad
24-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Good Stuff Vti-S JAZZ :thumbsup:

ahcash
24-06-2005, 02:17 PM
i havn't been through the entire thread, but i just put the apexi filter on my jazz 10 min ago, and i'll tell ya now, it aint coming off

nor will i be trying out a pannel filter

low down, i could not tell any change, then say 3500ish noise and woosh revs much smoother and quicker, sounds good to

my car is otherwise 100% stock

Got a chance to post up some pictures Vti-S JAZZ ???

Jus-10
24-06-2005, 05:25 PM
For true testing we run it with the bonnet closed....

But to be honest, with the Ruf intake it doesn't make a difference becasue the filter is housed in the inner guard so it gets the air from the factory pickup point in the front bar (or where the foglight should be in my case).

But as you said, you will get different results from directing the fan in various positions. If you are pointing it straight in to the collection point you should be seeing better results.....

We had to run the fan because over the testing period my car had done something like 80odd runs by the time it was all finished!

muli
28-06-2005, 10:20 AM
have my stock box with stock panel filter, ou the car feels so boring and laggy at low revs, just miss the pod in second when i floor it around 4000rpm it gives a nice slight shove into the seat not anymore

Jus-10
28-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Why did you take it off muli?

muli
28-06-2005, 04:44 PM
gotta clean the pod plus gonna get custom made cat-back made up so wanna dyno the car totally stocko as first dyno when i installed the pod i had the trust panel filter, i wanna dyno the car stock this way i will find out if the trust filter does anything cause if it does then my pod increase will be more than the 4kw with no fan as compared to 5kw with bonnet closed and fan blowing on bumper as this wouldnt of been the stock car power which i got , the weather in brissie is rainy so it takes a good day or two to dry before i oil it.

strepto
28-06-2005, 04:45 PM
The amount of air passing thru the filter isnt the only think giving gains. Its the entire intake, and the way its designed. Honda uses resonated and diresonated intakes, and if you change the resonation, you get diffrent results in the powerband. You know how the dual runner intake system looks - thats diresonation (dual resonation). The Mugen Airbox (not just the dropin filter) is an example of this. It widens the bandwith of the resonation pattern, thus allowing the air to move faster up the intake arm, and into the plenums.

IMHO, Conefilter on a tube, is a waste of money..

muli
28-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Conefilter on a tube? Waste of money!

you mean a pod? please prepare for a lot of replies i will start by telling you that you have no idea and are generalising.

strepto
28-06-2005, 04:56 PM
This discussion has been up so many times, I dont think we have to take a new one. In very brief words, the OEM Honda intake sucks up cold air from the lower front of the car. When you implement the simple filter-on-a-stick concept (like the AEM RAM, etc) you suck up hot air from within the enginebay, instead of underneath the car when the temp is a lot lower. As we all know, hot air expands, and thus causing less actual oxygen to float into the combustion chamber. Cold air is more dense, thus amout of oxygen is higher - voila - better combustion and more power. Its not really rocket science..

muli
28-06-2005, 05:32 PM
This discussion has been up so many times, I dont think we have to take a new one. In very brief words, the OEM Honda intake sucks up cold air from the lower front of the car. When you implement the simple filter-on-a-stick concept (like the AEM RAM, etc) you suck up hot air from within the enginebay, instead of underneath the car when the temp is a lot lower. As we all know, hot air expands, and thus causing less actual oxygen to float into the combustion chamber. Cold air is more dense, thus amout of oxygen is higher - voila - better combustion and more power. Its not really rocket science..

in theory i guess yes.

i guess best would be to get some kind of device(Safc i think shows air temp) and test with both setups but every setup would be different so you are generalising

strepto
28-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Im sorry, I didnt mean to. I was talking in general terms with the physics to back it up. The test you are reffering to has been done several times. If you take a look at Honda Tech, you'll be able to find this well documented... With small engines like the ones Honda use, and with the amount of power Honda extracts from them (which continue to impress us all) - the need for a good intake is even higher. In most cases, and I cant stress most enough, the OEM intake from Honda is a really good one! If you look at the DC2R oem intake, and then look at the way Mugen improved it with the Airbox.

ahcash
28-06-2005, 06:50 PM
and I cant stress most enough, the OEM intake from Honda is a really good one!

AGREED !!! :thumbsup:

Zimp13
28-06-2005, 07:05 PM
only Honda??? wat abt Nissan or Toyota oem intake???

strepto
28-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I have no knowledge about those intakes. I only know Honda stuff.. sorry.

Zimp13
28-06-2005, 07:24 PM
i m pretty sure that nissan n toyota n other makes would know this concept as well and they should not be that much inferior than honda. wat i m trying to say is, nothing against u at all, then who would wanna change to pod filter? all would just stick to the oem set up....

bagaichiban
28-06-2005, 08:10 PM
IMO, ALL the opinions come down to these points.

Dyno result: yes, can't argue with the fact that more kws added up. 5kws?
Perceivable result: Depends on how sensitive you are.
Overall result: Depends on ur personal preference. No really good or bad. you lose low range power, but u gain greater power in the high end.

After all, in car tuning steps, even filter is one of the very first mods we would do. It is still a minor tuning. Should not really make a "huge" deal of it.

Jus-10
28-06-2005, 08:27 PM
you lose low range power, but u gain greater power in the high end.

Actually that's not correct...my car has both increased power and torque down low as is evident...

Strepto - I agree, Honda have done very well with their intake setup and as I have stated before, a lot of fiddling around went on to get the power going the right way. If the Ruf Intake is just 1" shorter it makes as much power as the factory box! That said, my car also saw increases with the Apex'i intake which is just a cone filter on the end of a stick sucking up warm air...and those were gains throughout the entire rev range.

Muil - sounds good man....I can't wait to see the results. I'm very interested to see how the exhaust goes as I didn't get the chance to test my car with the stocky.

strepto
28-06-2005, 08:38 PM
As I said, I cant speak for what other producers do, but the way Honda design their intakes, its cold air and resonation that plays the important part. The filter is enclosed in a box, istead of being open in the engine compartment. Dynos show short arm with filter on decreases performance on some Honda models. Its a common misconception that filter-on-a-stick is a performance mod. Its main purpose is the sound you get from a cone/pod filter. The amount of air passing thru the filter isn't the only important thing.

bagaichiban
28-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Actually that's not correct...my car has both increased power and torque down low as is evident..

Really? okok, i also don't really feel that, i just said it because many people say so. From my own car, i can feel the high end power is up, and can't feel much difference in low end anyway.

ahcash
28-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Really? okok, i also don't really feel that, i just said it because many people say so. From my own car, i can feel the high end power is up, and can't feel much difference in low end anyway.

bagaichiban.. I thought you want to get this??? :D :D :D

http://laststation.com/photo/new_item/fit/ls_power_box_type2_l.jpg

spoon fit
28-06-2005, 11:40 PM
how much u think?

strepto
29-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Thats just ... so wrong.. Who in their right state of mind would put anything like that in their enginebay? :D

devil
29-06-2005, 12:38 AM
personally i dont think that intake system thingy will work very well, coz the airflow will be zig-zagging its way into the engine. correct me if im wrong, but i thought that good intake systems should have minimum bends as possible?

strepto
29-06-2005, 12:42 AM
It's not so much the amounts of bends, but the way its bended. Again, bends cause shift in resonation pattern, thus increasing, decreasing power - or simply just move the powerband up or down. You know how headers come in all diffrent sizes and shapes on the bends - larger primaries, shorter secondaries and so on - and this is how they tune the header and intake for peakpower within a certain powerband. If its diresonated or like the T1R exhaust, triresonated, you get an increase in power thru the entire band.

devil
29-06-2005, 12:57 AM
sounds logical. i also think that while most manufacturer's factory airboxes doesnt always produce as much power as some aftermarket kits, these airboxes were designed the way they were for many reasons...maybe cost, durability, maintenance, bla bla bla. also im sure they spend tons of money on the design of the engine and its intake and exhaust systems so they are the best compromise btw power and reliability. :D

TypeG
29-06-2005, 01:01 AM
As I said, I cant speak for what other producers do, but the way Honda design their intakes, its cold air and resonation that plays the important part. The filter is enclosed in a box, istead of being open in the engine compartment. Dynos show short arm with filter on decreases performance on some Honda models. Its a common misconception that filter-on-a-stick is a performance mod. Its main purpose is the sound you get from a cone/pod filter. The amount of air passing thru the filter isn't the only important thing.

they love the sound i swear
:rolleyes:
lol

muli
29-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Really? okok, i also don't really feel that, i just said it because many people say

theres your problem

spoon fit
29-06-2005, 09:34 AM
what the different between these 2 and last station one?
http://img222.echo.cx/img222/3741/md40pu.png
http://img222.echo.cx/img222/3805/fitroom37it.jpg

MR Spyder
29-06-2005, 11:29 AM
The 2nd pic in the blue Fit, is the Top Fuel open pod kit.

muli
29-06-2005, 12:21 PM
my pod goes in same spot as those and get feed from the original pipe work that is inside the bumper

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=thumb&width=175&id=791

asiansquad
29-06-2005, 12:28 PM
lol cf pipe

bagaichiban
01-07-2005, 04:53 PM
bagaichiban.. I thought you want to get this??? :D :D :D

http://laststation.com/photo/new_item/fit/ls_power_box_type2_l.jpg

lol~u got me right man, well~i want it, but it looks very pricy (no one ever told me the price either). But i don't like that chrome filter though. just the pipe/box
besides, i never see any place selling this intake here in Aus...

bagaichiban
01-07-2005, 05:01 PM
they love the sound i swear
:rolleyes:
lol

lol~right again~:D

muli
01-07-2005, 05:43 PM
lol~u got me right man, well~i want it, but it looks very pricy (no one ever told me the price either). But i don't like that chrome filter though. just the pipe/box
besides, i never see any place selling this intake here in Aus...

isnt the shiny thing the filter? ive seen these on the net somewhere, they retail close to $300 apparently

strepto
01-07-2005, 05:57 PM
they retail close to $300 apparently

.. and what a gigantic waste of money it is!

GD1 Jazz
02-07-2005, 02:11 AM
isnt the shiny thing the filter? ive seen these on the net somewhere, they retail close to $300 apparently

The last station induction box w/Apexi pod actually costs around SGD$700( maybe AUS$ 650 )as some ppl had them in Singapore actually, fully imported. The one in the pic is a version 2 which apparently comes with a chrome heat shield & filter. One thing to say...it does no magic anywhere at all IMO at that kinda price. A cheaper Apexi setup will do already...

MaxiJazz
20-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Guys...Im new here, and Ive read through this entire thread only to be totally confused and hence not knwoing which direction I should take with my Jazz......

However, when when it comes to the crunch, I think I'd still go POD...simply based on previous experinces with other vehicles.....

So having now convinced myself......can someone tell me where i can possibly get my hands on a decent kit like maybe the K&N 57 kit, ...???? Take note I live in Perth, and Im fairly new to here.....

So any help would be great.......

cheers ppl...

Jus-10
20-07-2005, 06:26 PM
To help resolve some of your confusion, there are 2 types of people here.....

1. Those that think they know the best from reading magazines...

2. Those that have spent time and money researching and testing compnents.

Depending on what side you are from, you should be able to decide on what is the best route.

strepto
20-07-2005, 06:47 PM
You cant really generalize like this. A Pod filter doesn't always give a performance increase, or decrease for that matter. It all depends on the intake, the intake chambers, the intake runners, the engine, and the enginebay. The way the intake on the Jazz is set up, it gets cold air directly from the front vents - this way - the intake temp will be low for the most cases. We see this on the K-series as well - where the intake side is in the front of the engine (cold side). In a few cases - the Pod filter solution worked out nicely here.

On most of Honda's VTEC engines the performance aspect of the intake system isn't the filter. Its the filter-enclosure and intake design. As mentioned a few times before, most Honda VTEC engines (Please note that this is specificly for B-series and K-series) are dual-resonated (di-resonated) - and has two areas of power increase. One per and one post VTEC. AEM has taken this concept into use in their AEM V2 intake systems. You may look at the V2 system here! (http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp?subCatID=4).

The stock intake system on most Hondas are very good - and does not need to be upgraded for light NA builds and boltons. Simply by using a filter that drops in the stock airbox - gains may be seen.

Regardless of intake system and filter solution - it all needs tuning to squeeze out those horses.

Zimp13
20-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Just do wat u guys think is right..... anyway people will still use pod filters and drop in filters no matter wat.....

Jus-10
20-07-2005, 07:56 PM
This has been done to death.

I don't want to see another pod/panel filter thread unless there is some major breakthrough in technology or results.