PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket exhaust

biss
02-02-2004, 05:38 PM
hello peeps. can some of the tech heads answer me this. why dont hondas respond to aftermarket exhausts? is it because the stock exhaust was design to make the engine put out it max power. if so how can a sports exhaust make the hondas loose power especially since theyre less restricting. i was reading hot4s and with a 2 dollar exhuast they can get 20kw from a rex or 200sx. that gives me the mega shites!! :evil:

McChook
02-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Turbos respond well to an upgraded exhaust, NA engines do not need it, it doesn;t have a large effect on airflow, with is half of what horsepower is.

Turbos need the exhaust upgraded as they simply flow more air, that is what the tubo does, thats why an exhaust makes a difference.

MTX BOY
02-02-2004, 06:09 PM
well put McChook. 8)

ah789454
02-02-2004, 10:09 PM
so going by what Mcchook said, headers are a waste of time aswell.

McChook
02-02-2004, 10:13 PM
so going by what Mcchook said, headers are a waste of time aswell.

No, I never said that, but they don't make a whopping difference. A fulle xhaust is MAX only worth 15-20hp at the top end with a hi flow cat. Can make a midrange difference, but again, they are all about airflow, and Venturi effect (if anyone knows what that is...).

TODA AU
03-02-2004, 06:35 AM
hello peeps. can some of the tech heads answer me this. why dont hondas respond to aftermarket exhausts? is it because the stock exhaust was design to make the engine put out it max power. if so how can a sports exhaust make the hondas loose power especially since theyre less restricting. i was reading hot4s and with a 2 dollar exhuast they can get 20kw from a rex or 200sx. that gives me the mega shites!! :evil:

Hondas respond well to I/H/E if you properly tune your ECU...
Combination is everything & must be combined with good tuning.

biss
03-02-2004, 08:26 AM
does I/h/E mean intake/headers/exhaust???

madgrk
03-02-2004, 08:27 AM
yup

McChook
03-02-2004, 09:33 AM

its about time somebody said that....

vti-2
03-02-2004, 04:10 PM

Couldn't agree more.

One of the issues with keeping a Honda N/A and modifying it though is the price. It will generally cost much more to keep a Honda N/A and build a quick car. It's mainly due to good parts being expensive and the fact that tuning is a big factor (and costs a lot of money).

LatinoHatchCrap
03-02-2004, 11:10 PM

hit the nail on the head dood! Also remember that a N/A car doesnt need to make as much power as turbo to be a quick car (not even near that much torque either); but tuning after a good I/H/HFC/E setup should always be the next step :)