PDA

View Full Version : help with modin my civic! !

notorious_ahmie
20-06-2005, 08:56 PM
hey guys i know there are a few threads on exhausts but they kinda didnt answer my questions so i hope yall dont mind this thread!

anyways this weekend i took the first step in modyfin it...got rid of the stock air filter and put a pod in it...it sounds nice and deep now lol..the next thing im lookin at doin is gettin an exhaust...ive been lookin on past threads and u guys pretty much agree that 2.25 is the best way to go..id also like a fair bit of noise..and i do a bit of racing so high revs is also an issue to consider..so can u guys recommend me which one to go for...lookin to spend 100-150 on it..but the less money the better lol..

when i get my tax money back i think extractors are also the next thing on the list ahead of the rest of the exhaust system...

by the way its a 98 civic hatch GLi

Z
20-06-2005, 09:03 PM
An exhaust shop can whip you up a 2" catback. No idea how much it would cost, Id say maybe $150-$200 (Someone correct me). Muffler ontop of this - price depends on what kind you want.

You could get away with 2.25" but 2" is probably better for non-vtec im thinking.

berniebern
21-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Dude, $200 will barely get you an exhaust tip.

I have a 2.25" catback setup with a 3" tip and that cost me $400 installed. It would have been $600 with a big f*ck off exhaust tip. If you want loud remove the resonator but expect a defect notice if you get caught plus a heavy fine for breaking EPA laws.

destrukshn
21-06-2005, 11:31 AM
yeah i reckon 2.25" too, it all depends what you get, you can get good stuff for expensive or crap stuff for cheap :)

Tu88y
21-06-2005, 11:32 AM
$200 will get you no where for a exhaust... It cost me about $90 just in labour to put it on my car...

lloydbanks
21-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Dude, $200 will barely get you an exhaust tip.

I agree. Mine (cat-back with tip) was roughly $400, & that was the cheapest quote by a country mile

Setanta
21-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Congratulations - you are now officially a mag-racer :D If you are handy with a MIG then you could whip up the system and install it yourself for 200. But why the hell you'd waqnt to on a GLi I have no idea.

mugeneration
21-06-2005, 02:40 PM
hahaha you all got ripped! I got a 2inch cat back for 160 total. Got a tip with that too. But then I want to change the exhaust anyway so in the end ill be paying as much as you guys haha

notorious_ahmie
21-06-2005, 05:44 PM
eh eh its good though when ur first cuz owns auto pro homebush lol...everything is at cost price lol...but i wanted to get some other opinions..but i might get the 2.25 inlet..

why put it on a gli u say...cause i need a bit of performance..end of year im HOPING to put a type r engine but thats hopin lol

mugeneration
21-06-2005, 07:34 PM
yeh i was thinkin of puttin in a new engine into my gli, but then with all costs and stuffing around i think id rather just buy a vti-r, i like the look of it more, but yeah if youre going to put stuff in your car make sure it will fit both engines. Myself im buying stuff i can take out and put in my next car so depending on what u want to do u should adjust ur approach to what youre buying

notorious_ahmie
23-06-2005, 05:50 PM
i just found a HKS muffler for 89$...2 inch inlet and 3" outlet...wat do u guys think?should i get?

as well some guy at work told me that im gonnna get added power wat so eva...just noise...is it tru? :(

|N|
23-06-2005, 05:58 PM
i just found a HKS muffler for 89$...2 inch inlet and 3" outlet...wat do u guys think?should i get?

as well some guy at work told me that im gonnna get added power wat so eva...just noise...is it tru? :(

by just changin the muff there wont be power gain ... only for the looks and sound...

notorious_ahmie
23-06-2005, 06:40 PM
oh ok thats aiight then...well wat bout HKS anyways they good?wat are some ways i can gain some more power without spendin that much money at this moment?

thanks for ur help guys by the way

mugeneration
23-06-2005, 06:59 PM
power comes hand in hand with money my friend, if you dont want to spend much cash go the filter, sum bigger exhaust piping, or maybe some new headers if u get the cash. You could also upgrade your spark plugs and ignition leads, wont do much really, but doesnt cost too much. You could use premium fuel? only a few extra dollars to fill up and i get heaps more milage and the car seems to have more 'pull'.

mugeneration
23-06-2005, 07:00 PM
and yeah HKS is one of the best brands out there, sounds like a pretty sweet deal for that exhaust there.

n/a
23-06-2005, 11:27 PM
well wat bout HKS anyways they good?

depends if it was made for a Honda.

what's the sizing?

Limbo
24-06-2005, 07:31 PM
2" exhaust isn't going to be very good if you wanna get 2 1/4" piping. Your gonna regret it afterwards.

Save your money up and spend some decent money on the exhaust.
A decent set of extractors will cost between $400-800 depending on brand and type.
If you go Cat back with a muffler your prob looking at $400-700 depending on if you want mandrel bends and the type of exhaust.
Getting the Cat changed also will cost between $250 - 300

Note these are also fairly decent prices. You can pay almost twice or three times as much for a branded item.

The exhaust is one of the most important things, don't waste your money and time doing it adhoc get a proper job done and you will enjoy & appreciate it more.

notorious_ahmie
24-06-2005, 10:11 PM
hmm so wat do u reccommend then.. i get the 2.25 inlet?im gonna be buying it tomorrow so appreciate the quick reply ! :D

Cyrus
25-06-2005, 01:21 AM
non-vtec civic,...just change a tip for the looks....u won't gain much power with a muffler..

save your money and buy something else to improve handling...

notorious_ahmie
25-06-2005, 05:34 PM
hey guys...i just got back from autopro and i was lookin at there exhausts..umm there mostly Monza i think that how u spell it...do they make good stuff?the model i found was the carbon fibre angle cut one but the shit thing is that it had no specs wat so eva..so i didnt even know wat inlet size it was...anyways he told me hed give it to me for 150..i dunno wat yall think?

destrukshn
25-06-2005, 05:38 PM
lol, you cant really get much power and spend cheap on hondas, you might as well buy a turbo car! hahaha

notorious_ahmie
25-06-2005, 05:42 PM
lol i meant cheap as in for now...i was speakin to my cuzn he goes if i really want to get some nice power..is to pay 2k and get the whole turbo setup lol..which i might do...but for now i just wanna exhaust lol...

EGB16A
25-06-2005, 07:43 PM
lol i meant cheap as in for now...i was speakin to my cuzn he goes if i really want to get some nice power..is to pay 2k and get the whole turbo setup lol..which i might do...but for now i just wanna exhaust lol...

So your car is turbo?? If not $2k is a bit cheap for a turbo setup!? Any xhaust shop can help you with your exhaust but expect more than $150. and stop saying "LOL"

yourfather
04-10-2006, 01:09 AM
hey, what kinda durbo you running now?

dc2dc2dc2
04-10-2006, 01:15 AM
turbo ek4 ftw~

tRipitaka
04-10-2006, 01:16 AM
closed closed closed