PDA

View Full Version : Honda Genuine Parts VS. Other stuff

ccab1
02-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Hey peeps,

I'm kinda new to the forums and I have this burning question to ask. What's the difference b/w honda genuine parts and other leading brands? I have a 96 model Civic Cxi automatic. Do you reckon it's gonna harm the car if I don't replace the parts with Honda Genuine! Help please b/c my car is due for a service soon! :roll: ;)

wynode
02-02-2004, 07:15 PM
It really depends what parts you are talking about.

ccab1
02-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Maybe stuff like the fuel filter, brake pads, the brake fluid they use, you know the stuff that they basically change in a major service. Right now my finance isn't that stable so I'm going for a normal mechanic as opposed to a service done in a Honda dealership.... What do you reckon?

BLKCRX
02-02-2004, 08:05 PM
I only ever use Honda parts... i would never trust any aftermarket things like fuel filters... oil filters... dizy caps / rotor buttons all the common things.. use Honda ! unless its totally a performance part, nothing compares to the original.
Skimping on cost is skimping on quality

Regards James

McChook
02-02-2004, 08:51 PM
When it comes to performance, I will consider buying something for a honda from

a) A honda subsidury - Mugen - They wouldn't make it if it didn;t work, thats not how mugen works, and we have always used Mugen parts, for years and years
b) A company that uses the products they sell on a race car. I would trust some companies more than other, like Spoon and JUN, Toda, rather than others, since a lot of their retail parts are on their race cars.

vti-2
02-02-2004, 09:18 PM
I agree with James. For fuel/oil filters, brake pads etc stick with OEM. Oil filters can be aftermarket but make sure it is a large respected brand.

s2k
02-02-2004, 11:45 PM
are there places that we can order them of the net at a price cheaper then the RRP, cause in adelaide the honda deales sell them at RRP

biss
03-02-2004, 08:33 AM
I agree with James. For fuel/oil filters, brake pads etc stick with OEM. Oil filters can be aftermarket but make sure it is a large respected brand.

even brake pads?? i thought bendix make a pretty good brake pad and for a decent price.

BLKCRX
03-02-2004, 08:46 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo stay away from aftermarket oil filters... i cut a stock Honda one open and a repco one and trust me use the Honda filter.. i have photo's somewhere....
the Smaller Honda filter also helps keep the pressure up within the oil system, and the filtration material is much stronger in the Honda oil filter than the paper recpo filter. Use Honda !

As for brake pads Honda did a good job at matching up pads with brake they work well... bendix is ok.. but only use there top line pad....ultimate. But if you want good pads I would use race brake pads ( brake workshop in melb ) that supply's great pads but i wouldn’t use these for street use as you need heat in them before they bite.

Regards James

CivicCoupe
03-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Where do you guys source your original honda parts for Fuel filters, Oil filters and spark plugs?

BLKCRX
03-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda parts from Honda, its the only way ! everyone pays the same price.. some workshops buy at trade price saves 10% or so but not many workshops will pass on the saving to the client, as everyone needs to make some $$ for there time.

Spark plugs use NKG BKR7e-11 for almost all Honda B D and H engines.

Regards James