PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Honda civic b16a swap - drive away no more to pay

clarkstrrr
21-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey guys

I own a 1990 honda civic sedan d15b4 engine. The cars in real good conditon but frankly i want something faster! This is where a b16a comes in but.....

I need some1 2 put 1 in 4 me in brisbane (i live in rockhampton so ill have 2 drive up there) but i dont want 2 much hassle.

Can any1 recommend a mechanic who could put 1 in 4 me. i dont want 2 much hassle, would prob be best if they handled mostly everything.

If some1 recommend a place where i can get this done it would be a really great help.

oh and any idea on the cost?

Thx
Clark :honda:

Setanta
21-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Come back to us when you have at least(!) 5 grand saved away :)

bennjamin
21-06-2005, 11:33 PM
*waits* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ekslut
22-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Come back to us when you have at least(!) 5 grand saved away :)

:thumbsup: I've just been through the whole process and to do it properly, as Setanta said, you will need at least 5 grand.

barefootbonzai
22-06-2005, 10:58 AM
And when you have that $5G, PM me and i'll get it all done for ya, i'm in Brissy ;)

Zdster
22-06-2005, 02:28 PM
When you say $5000 what does that buy you? I assume that is a stock b16 with less than 100ks?

Paul1985
22-06-2005, 04:52 PM
your best bet is to buy a 1/2 cut... usually range from around about $2500 - $4000 (this will include everything u need eg. engine, mounts, ECU etc etc).. if your car is carby.. u will need more money to upgrade your fuel system (not sure how much). Also, labour will cost u approx. $1000-2000.. brakes/suspension usually are a good idea if doing this swap.. esp brakes, and if u need an engineers certificate, im not sure if u do, it would cost about $800, you will also need to pay for new fluids for your new engine...

Theres a few things to think about, theres more im sure :)
Its always good to have more than enough money, and to expect to pay alot for this sort of thing... Have a good read of this B16A FAQ, very good read/write-up and will give you heaps of info...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14136

The swap wouldnt be the most difficult of swaps, i think theres prob a fair few mechanics who would be willing to do it, just ring around, people on here might also be able to do it, some people are experienced in doing the swap from here and could quiet possibly do just as good a job as a mechanic (if not better :P). The best mechanic would be someone with experience on Honda's IMO

Anyways, good luck :)

Waggy
22-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Holy shitzu, another Rockhampton-ite?? I thought I was the only one on here!

Got any pics of your car mate? I've prolly seen it around since Rocky is so small! ;)

mojo the flashy monkey
22-06-2005, 05:01 PM
lol 5k lol is that all heh i payed 4k to do a d16 swap and i know ppl that payed 7k for a b16 swap :S 5k is cheap.....

[[d a n n y]]
22-06-2005, 05:26 PM
5K for a DIY job with some extra's

clarkstrrr
22-06-2005, 05:40 PM
ive got the money :D

but i cant DIY because of the time it takes so ill have 2 get a mechanic. Any1 recommend a place whos done a swap b4.

Im prob spend about 7 all up on the car, but i want a 50 shot of nitrous so that will have 2 come out of my budget. I always joked about NOS in my car at my old work, i want 2 see their faces when they see i actually get it insatlled.

Looking 2 take the car down 2 bris in a few weeks. Will i need to order a half-cut in advance? or can i get 1 in stock and put one on hold if i need 2?

Cheers
Clark

Ps. Thanks for the help guys youve been a really good help!

FR33K
22-06-2005, 05:50 PM
why dont u just buy an imported civic of your shape with the b16 already in it..
harder to find but less hassle i reckon

wat is it an SiR (??)

Waggy
22-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Prolly best to line up a half-cut (make sure you get the loom too) and a decent workshop in advance.

Dunno how good they are but try these guys -

http://www.geocities.com/telifatty/

I think they share the shop with "DMD the image".

There is also a shop called Millenium Motorsports which I *think* is in Brisbane.

HondaRec on the Gold Coast may also be a great place to pick up a Half-cut:

http://www.autopartsrecyclers.com/Hondarec/

Mind you, I've had NO experience with any of these shops, I've just known about them for a lil' while and other have said they get stuff done there.

Waggy
22-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Oh these guys may be able to supply AND install too:

http://www.allautos.com.au/index.php

Also mate, what part of Rocky you live in?

Setanta
22-06-2005, 07:38 PM
why dont u just buy an imported civic of your shape with the b16 already in it..
harder to find but less hassle i reckon

wat is it an SiR (??)

SiR is a 4th Gen Civic with B16A in it from the factory - top of the line Japanese market 4th gen Civic.

Near impossible to find in good nick nowadays. I paid about 10 grand for mine 5 1/2 years ago.

Setanta
22-06-2005, 07:44 PM
5 grand is conservative - front cuts of a 4th gen SiR Civic/CRX or a B16A powered XSi 2G Integra are around the 2-2.5 thousand mark - 5 grand is what I'd have handy on top of that for the correct mounts (about 700 bucks for Hasport/Place not including import tax), merging of the wiring looms, changing and reconditioning front and rear brakes plus labour. Surge tank is needed as is an EFi pump, new wxhaust system, catalytic convertor... the list goes on.

Personally, I'd be doing a K series swap - you'll get tired of the B16A soon enough, it's a good motor, a strong motor... but ultimately, it leaves you wanting more after 3 months.

BTW - you must get the cable clutch Y1/S1/YS1 gearbox - not the hydraulic unless you want to add to the costs.

Waggy
22-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Hmm, yes a K-series is the only thing I would be swapping if I wanted to swap. However you could *almost* double the bill if you did the swap with a proper JDM K20A! Depends on funds I guess....