PDA

View Full Version : Full Potential of Cams..

pgclee
22-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Now i'm really wondering...Compariing to TODA C vs JUN Stage 3, why is always the JUN cams easier to make power?

With the same things equipted internally, Toda C will be Tricky to make power, but for JUN stage 3, it doesn't seem to have that kinda problem...

I'm kinda lost now...any advice?

destrukshn
22-06-2005, 04:39 PM
..... doesn't it depend on degrees duration intake/exhaust of the camshaft. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought you can't tune cams?

SINISTR
22-06-2005, 05:16 PM
..... doesn't it depend on degrees duration intake/exhaust of the camshaft. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought you can't tune cams?

youre being Corrected hahaha.. :thumbsup:

you can 'TUNE' Cams by using Cam Gears..

PGClee - im not familiar at all with the cams you're talking about but I believe there could be a difference in the profiles, durations etc... the Toda Cs could be designed more for topend than bottom end or vice versa, require different type headers (4-2-1 compared to 4-1), and actual Cam Timing could play a big difference.

I don't think its a good Idea to directly compare CAMS... each cams are different and so are engines - two stock motors, could vary slightly in the power they make - even stock.

hondar
22-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't think its a good Idea to directly compare CAMS... each cams are different and so are engines - two stock motors, could vary slightly in the power they make - even stock.

finally some good answer :D

SINISTR
22-06-2005, 11:10 PM
finally some good answer :D

hehe - thanks Dude :)

Limbo
26-06-2005, 12:00 AM
mate that is why there are different profiles. Each one is designed for different applications. Also each maker has their own ideas of what makes more power, and that is why they charge different prices. Otherwise there would only be one type of CAM out there.

hondar
26-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Now i'm really wondering...Compariing to TODA C vs JUN Stage 3, why is always the JUN cams easier to make power?

With the same things equipted internally, Toda C will be Tricky to make power, but for JUN stage 3, it doesn't seem to have that kinda problem...

I'm kinda lost now...any advice?

what is the basis of your conclusion? you might be right but it is good if you list out the parameter when test is conducted.

some of the information we need to know such
- what car is being used
- whats mods are done to the test car
- are the same car being used or 2 differerent car is used.
- is both car tuned?
- is both car tested on the approximately same time with same room temperature and condition?
- is it done by a neutral party (or is is conducted by jun)
- etc etc

if conclusion is make without knowing the test parameter, there is always possibility of error.

i have been looking at ozhonda thread and there has been a lot of question about cams and what power they make....

the problem is... before you can choose a cam, you need to understand what they are...

Ask yourself these questions first as this might help you in your decision

- Whats the function of a camshafts in an engine?

- Whats makes a different from one camshaft over the other?

- What is a lift in a camshaft?

- What is a duration in a camshaft?

If you are not sure about the answer for these 4 basic questions, i guess it is better to do more research before plunging in to buy a cams...

Dont buy cams just becos of brand names.. sure some brand names guarantee the quality of the products but it is nothing comparing understanding what you are putting in your car.

i am not trying to dampen your spirit but what i think is a bit of self-learning and knowing what they are goes a long way and make your modification more fun process. :D

wynode
26-06-2005, 05:01 PM
For anyone interested......there is some very good reading re the various cams offerred by the OEM and after market products here:

http://www.hondaclub.com.ph/diy5.html

TODA AU
26-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Good info to a point Wyn...
Though Americans aren't as clever as Aussies...
FWIW, Spec B & C vtec camshaft deliver near stock idle quality when installed correctly.
The mid range torque gains are best when you get it right.

bennjamin
26-06-2005, 11:29 PM
to add to the discussion -

what are the pros / cons of camshaft regrinds ? ( that is , stock replacements of altered duration etc) .

Are these anywhere as reputeable/reliable as properly cast items ?
Ive briefly read up that no aftermarket ECU is needed on some stage 1 "camshaft regrinds" - more so relying on altering timing slightly and also ignition ?

Expand plz Adrian or whoever :)

pgclee
28-06-2005, 11:38 PM
the torque at ard 4500-5500rpm is crazy i admit, for my 3rd gear from 110km/h to ard 160km/h++ is great...but still i don't understand why it still doesn't go faster as i've seen another car with Spec C pulls harder than mine???...hmmm...i just want to make it to ard 140kw atw....:( why can't my car do that???...sad...is hard to explain without a Dyno graph...i will show u all very soon...