PDA

View Full Version : which 3rd gen Civic is it???

Vic
22-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Fellow Civic-ians,
i am the proud new owner of an 1984 Civic manual hatch.
I've been told that it is an imported model with a badge on the rear hatch window that says '25-i' and has an engine code of EW2 XXXXX
There is also a 'mugen' badge but not sure if this has anything to do with the model.

NFI! about Honda engines, especially ones that go into or come out of 3rd gen civics.

Can anyone tell more specifically about the car and in particular about the
engine.

And b4 u ask, yes i did do a search and could not find much on the 3rd gen and nothin about the '25-i'
what i have found is this website which seams to have my model on there.
its the 3rd one down. then if you click on the what appears to be the details.
Filtering though all the Japanese that i cannot read, i think i can make out that its a 1.5L with 100kw@5,800.

http://www.honda.co.jp/HOT/ModelData/civic/cv3-k-309/line_up.html
http://www.honda.co.jp/HOT/ModelData/civic/cv3-k-309/25i_sy.html

Will post pics up when i get a chance.

can anyone confirm or deny the above???

help... really want to get get modding but thought i should understand what i'm modding in the first place!

Setanta
22-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Give us the chassis code - not the number, but the earlier part of the code. If it's an import, it should start with "AH". Pity it isn't the "AT" DOHC Si with the ZC motor but it sounds like you have the real thing - it's 100ps BTW, not 100bhp - about 98 bhp but still a top little performer :)

You need to talk to McChook, his father was responsible for wringing 150bhp out of an EW motor in Ted Wrigg's race car (1st gen with EW motor transplanted).

Vic
23-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Give us the chassis code - not the number, but the earlier part of the code. If it's an import, it should start with "AH". Pity it isn't the "AT" DOHC Si with the ZC motor but it sounds like you have the real thing - it's 100ps BTW, not 100bhp - about 98 bhp but still a top little performer :)

You need to talk to McChook, his father was responsible for wringing 150bhp out of an EW motor in Ted Wrigg's race car (1st gen with EW motor transplanted).

Setanta,
sounds good.... thanks for the reply.

will look at the chasis code tonight to check out if its starts with a 'AH'
Crap 100hp... man thats like well 75 kw?!?!?. ohhh well will have to try to get the most of of her later on.

hmmmm "AT" DOHC Si..... :thumbsup:
how hard are these to come by and any idea if it will be an easy fit into my 3rd gen???

McChook sounds like a bit of a legend with these little hondas.
whats the best way to get in touch with him.
does he have a work shop? preferably near syd???

SiReal
23-06-2005, 09:50 AM
The gen 3 civic SI's look hot!

Vic
23-06-2005, 09:58 AM

any one got any pics/stats of these???

egSi
23-06-2005, 10:16 AM

lol was bout to same thing, cf48s and ur set, damn i love oldschool :thumbsup:

Vic
23-06-2005, 10:29 AM
lol was bout to same thing, cf48s and ur set, damn i love oldschool :thumbsup:

yeah, i dont mind that old school look too
maybe cuz i am old..... hmmmm

Setanta
23-06-2005, 12:41 PM
For pics, again, McChook is the one to talk to as his mum owned an imported 3G AT Si that used to be motorkhana'd.

Vic
23-06-2005, 02:13 PM
how do i get in touch with 'McChook'
is he on OH forums?

ekslut
23-06-2005, 02:27 PM
yeah, McChook is on the forums. Just use the search feature and you will find him.

By the way, cogratulations on the new purchase. Love the old school civics :thumbsup:

Vic
23-06-2005, 05:27 PM
fanks ekslut, i have pm'd McChook.
Hopefully he can point me in the right direction!

Yeah, she still need a bit of tender lurvin but i am 'in the mood'....
so looking forward to getin her up and running.

Vic
24-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Chassis No : JMAAHXXXXXXXXXX
Engine No : EW2-XXXXXX
Build Date : 84

Bottom right hand side of plate : "AH"

Compliance plate also says something about ADR's (Aust Design Rules)
and goes onto list them but didn’t right it down.

So guess this means that i do have an import!
yay! but how do i find our more about the engine and car specs?

McChook? Setanta? Anyone?

Setanta
24-06-2005, 12:49 PM
If it lists ADRs its an Aust spec unless it's a blue compliance plate. If it was JDM it would start "AH" not "JMA". It's hard to tell - but there is a chance the badging on it may be off a JDM car. I had a 2G "S" Civic that wasn't really a JDM "S" but had it's crushed tailgate replaces with one from a wreckers off a JDM "S".

Having said that, the Aust spec should start JHMAH - I wonder if you have a JDM spec that was sold in Asia. Post up some pics of the interior, exterior, blue plate maybe?

BTW - delete your chassis/engine numbers from the previous post - you don't really want people knowing them.

Vic
24-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Setanta,
woops, deleted chassis/engine numbers..... can u spot the newbie?
so what ure saying is that it may be an oz spec with jdm parts.

will take some pics this weekend and post them up.
yes there is a blue plate but think that it has my chassis/engine no on it.
will photoshop it out.

thanks again setanta

Setanta
24-06-2005, 06:30 PM
It sounds like it could be - fingers crossed that it isn't though. When you post the plate on it - just blur the numbers but leave the letters if that makes sense :)

Vic
25-06-2005, 04:23 PM
It sounds like it could be - fingers crossed that it isn't though. When you post the plate on it - just blur the numbers but leave the letters if that makes sense :)

Yup makes sense and will do!

Vic
27-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Pics of my JDM/Oz spec??? civic as promised.
Any more ideas of what the origins of this car might be guys?
Any comments will be much appreciated.
Cheers,

ps. the 'i' in '25-i' has fallen off and is now sitting in the glove box.... so thats why it just now says '25'!

Crap... having trouble uploading images. will try to post them in my profile.

Vic
27-06-2005, 01:26 PM
hope this works!

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=all&ppuser=3909

Setanta
27-06-2005, 04:35 PM
The bad news: No ADRs on that blue plate - look for a silver one that lists them.

Good news - I think you have a rare find:

Congratulations - you have a ZC in that engine bay!!!! 130ps of power.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you have a "very grey" import as there is no way that motor is an EW2 - and the rear spoiler, front spoiler and trim are all JDM spec.

It's either a Si or (unknown) JDM spec that has been rebaged or an aussie spec that has had all the JDM goodies bolted on to it.

Nice find.

You in SA or WA?

Vic
27-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Setanta,
Kewl!... i could have JDM civic! This is starting to sound very interesting....
cue evil laughter... hahaha

Yeah, theres a silver plate on left hand side of engine bay that lists some adr's. will post pic of it tom.

ZC motor huh??? ok, now just need to learn more about these babys!

Anyone else know of anyone that owns or have ever owned one of these things?

I'm in sydney at the moment. What made you think in was in SA or WA?

Thanks for all your help thus far.

ALLMTR
28-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Looks like a converted local car.

Does it have a raised section on the passengers side of the bonnet?

kristoo
28-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Go have a look at www.redpepperracing.com - it's a (north american mainly) site dedicated to 3rd gen civics / 1st gen CRXs (which are essentially the same car). By far and away the best online resource for these cars I've found, they even have a full service manual online, and there are a lot of experienced racers there.

The D16(A3? from memory) (It's a D16A1 over in the states) engine from the 86-87 integra is a direct bolt in, and may well be where the engine came from, it's a popular swap, because it's easy, although most guys in the states start with a fuel-injected (EW3) civic, which we didn't get, so it's a bit more work for us. Actually, the entire driveline - gearbox/brakes/suspension from the integra swaps in pretty easily, using only standard parts.

The EW2 is a carbed 12v SOHC motor and only puts out something like 65kw, the engine you've got (16v DOHC) is a BIG improvement in a car that light :)

Setanta
28-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Go have a look at www.redpepperracing.com (http://www.redpepperracing.com) - it's a (north american mainly) site dedicated to 3rd gen civics / 1st gen CRXs (which are essentially the same car). By far and away the best online resource for these cars I've found, they even have a full service manual online, and there are a lot of experienced racers there.

The US sites are useless if he has a JDM car - I know from experience :)

Vic
28-06-2005, 09:31 AM
have uploaded compliance plate as promised.
I'm a bit confused... ZC or EW2?
I"m pretty sure its fuel injected??? something about a 'PGM-FI' symbol on dash and also has a note of it in engine bay somewhere?

will try to take a quick look at the site when i get a minute... thanks kristoo anyways.

ALLMTR, doesnt have a raised section on passenger side bonnet.
Does this mean that i'm more or less likely to have an import?

Starting to sound like a broken record but.... thanks again guys!

ALLMTR
28-06-2005, 05:07 PM
All the factory twin cams have a bonnet scoop. Either the car aint factory TC or the bonnet has been swapped out
Yes it is fuel injected. ZC is motor designation. EW2 is body designation.

Vic
28-06-2005, 05:38 PM
All the factory twin cams have a bonnet scoop. Either the car aint factory TC or the bonnet has been swapped out
Yes it is fuel injected. ZC is motor designation. EW2 is body designation.

Oh ok, Sorry bout all these noob questions.... :o
but is it possible that the ZC engine is a single cam?

Just checked out ure web site... man thats one crazy 3rd gen u got!
Is that the B20vtec or H22 or some other engine, u got in there???
Just noticing ure sig....Still trying to learn how to recognise honda engines!

Setanta
28-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Hey chuck... EW2 is the SOHC motor in the 3rd gens - not the body designation ;)

Vic - that's definitely a DOHC motor in your engine bay - aka a ZC :)

Vic
28-06-2005, 09:43 PM
wohoooo... have a JDM civic and a twin cam motor!
Vic dances round the room like an happy-chappy :D :D :D
guys, thanks again, again, and again.