PDA

View Full Version : D16y4 to D16y8

willt
23-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Im planning to change my ek1 engine (d16y4) to the sohc vtec d16y8. Will this be a straight swap, is there any major differences, will there be any problems and how much would this approximatly cost???
All I heard was that the distributor is different. Also anyone reccomend any mechanics who could do this, im in melbourne south eastern suburbs...Thanx

CTR Coupe
23-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Don't bother. save more money and do a B series swap.

theres no advantage going to sohc vtec, its still gutless.

aStRooo
23-06-2005, 07:17 PM
no offence ctr coupe, but why do people always bag d-series? sometimes going b-series just isnt practical eg. budget. willt what ur looking for is regarded as a mini-me swap, just do a search first. try websites like d-series.org should find all the answers to ur questions regarding the 'underestimated' d-series there.

Lukezen27
23-06-2005, 07:23 PM

Bah to you :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

D's rock and you work with what you have not just go out a buy the best :rolleyes:

no offence ctr coupe, but why do people always bag d-series? sometimes going b-series just isnt practical eg. budget. willt what ur looking for is regarded as a mini-me swap, just do a search first. try websites like d-series.org should find all the answers to ur questions regarding the 'underestimated' d-series there.

Yea D-series.org is the place to see what D's can do

supersamEK
23-06-2005, 07:32 PM
wheres do one go to find a d16y8 head? i never seen one and dont know where to look??
i have also once contemplated doin the mini-me swap, cept didnt where to start...

Lukezen27
23-06-2005, 07:36 PM
wheres do one go to find a d16y8 head? i never seen one and dont know where to look??
i have also once contemplated doin the mini-me swap, cept didnt where to start...

From what I've read D16Y1 heads are stronger at high RPMs that the d16y8

Anyone know if a D16Y1 Head can fit on a d16y4?

LukeZen

D16Y
23-06-2005, 07:45 PM

pffft ur great help

Lukezen27
23-06-2005, 07:47 PM
pffft ur great help

lol he must of had a bad day :p

D16Y
23-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Im planning to change my ek1 engine (d16y4) to the sohc vtec d16y8. Will this be a straight swap, is there any major differences, will there be any problems and how much would this approximatly cost???
All I heard was that the distributor is different. Also anyone reccomend any mechanics who could do this, im in melbourne south eastern suburbs...Thanx

the y8 head will bolt on the y4 head with no mods. any decent mechanic will be able to pull it off. :thumbsup:

CTR Coupe
23-06-2005, 08:33 PM
The only d-series that’s any good is the D16A8 (aka. the 'ZC'). It’s non-VTEC as well.
Adding VTEC to your car isn’t going to make a huge difference to what you already have.
Either save money and boost it or do a b-series swap. What you’re talking about doing is a waste of money in my opinion.

Maybe you should research what VTEC actually does. It doesn’t give you anymore power just gives you better fuel economy without sacrificing top end power.

A lot of people on here are VTEC mad. It’s freaking overrated people especially on 1.6L SOHC motor. (Why do you think TODA make VTEC killer cams? I’m sure if VTEC made power Eric’s racing drag car would have VTEC)

People need to wake up and realise that VTEC is not some magic bullet that’s going to make your car faster.

My car came standard with a D16Y8, it’s slow and don’t waste your time upgrading to it because you will be unhappy with it. You’re better off putting money into building a turbo setup, an ECU, or something that’s going to actually make power.

D16Y
23-06-2005, 08:54 PM
My car came standard with a D16Y8, it’s slow and don’t waste your time upgrading to it because you will be unhappy with it. You’re better off putting money into building a turbo setup, an ECU, or something that’s going to actually make power.

what u saying a y8 head on a y4 block wont see any gains? pfft
were not talking about the y8 motor itself n while it might not be a powerful motor, who wouldnt want a 8kw gain on their y4?
i got quoted 400 bucks all up to get it done[with trade in of my y4 head n ecu]
and u see ppl paying crazy amounts on intake systems for their civic with a 1-4kw increase if any?
get a clue ctr coupe, maybe ppl dun wanna do the typical b series swap/

Lukezen27
23-06-2005, 09:03 PM
what u saying a y8 head on a y4 block wont see any gains? pfft
were not talking about the y8 motor itself n while it might not be a powerful motor, who wouldnt want a 8kw gain on their y4?
i got quoted 400 bucks all up to get it done[with trade in of my y4 head n ecu]
and u see ppl paying crazy amounts on intake systems for their civic with a 1-4kw increase if any?
get a clue ctr coupe, maybe ppl dun wanna do the typical b series swap/

Go for it man but try for a D16Y1 Head :D stronger for some reason :thumbsup:

Then get
Crower Stage 2 cam & Cam gear
Crower Valve springs/retainers
Programable ECU

And BAM take on stock VTIR any day of the week

Once again BAH to CTR Coupe :p

D16Y
23-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Go for it man but try for a D16Y1 Head :D stronger for some reason :thumbsup:

Then get
Crower Stage 2 cam & Cam gear
Crower Valve springs/retainers
Programable ECU

And BAM take on stock VTIR any day of the week

Once again BAH to CTR Coupe :p
hahaha :p

SiReal
23-06-2005, 09:07 PM
chill pill everyone!! Go the D series!! I've got one too, SOHC non-VTEC and I think it bloody rocks for the capacity! I can woop 1.8L cars at times too. I would love to get a B series if possible. But i'm too afraid of getting a dud engine and going through all the hassle. so i dont bother.

Lukezen27
23-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Read this on VTec

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm

Them tell me if they make power?

aStRooo
23-06-2005, 10:01 PM
well i guess its obvious, whatever gives u your jollies, thats your choice. this guys obviously asking about d-series, not b. keep the thread on the narrow man, why side track to something unrelated to the question. once again ur suggesting boosting or engine swap, that seems to be the response to nearly every d-series queery lately, and clearly its just not an option for some people. y8 swap is relatively cheap bang for your bucks 'upgrade' for any non-vtec d. bolt on 20hp. how many mods can you do for <500 bucks that will give u 20hp?

D16Y
23-06-2005, 10:21 PM
well said astro, also u wont have to engineer ur b series/turbo conversion, n wont be hassled by the cops.
the mini-me swap will basically look "factory" so no need to worry bout insurance.

egSi
24-06-2005, 09:51 AM
$400 for a mini me swap is damn good imo, if i had a sohc id do a mini me asap! :thumbsup:

bennjamin
24-06-2005, 09:57 AM
its all about funds and phailic symbolism.

Do you want something alittle quicker for abit more cash - or something alot quicker for a deal more cash ?

Im not knocking " the mighty D" - it has served me well :)

But , in this situation there is really only one worth while option. That is , selling your car as it is and buying something with more guts to begin with. VTi or Si , or even a newer EK4 etc. For the money you COULD spend on your car converting to "veeteck" and etc - you could have a stock b16a powered (or even d16a8 powered) vehicle , that is 100% reliable and still quick and no hassle whatsoever.

IMO do NOT mod your car - sell it and buy somethign with a better base to begin with.
IE Si or vtir.

waymad
24-06-2005, 05:35 PM
try and get a d15b jdm spec engine its vtec and goes harder than all the d16 aus spec series engine bolts stright in. Also to people that say dont waste time with single cams engine i reason i have this engine is i did not want to spend money on engine like b16a h22a i wanted a engine with good performance that cost very little as this car my honda was my second car i own and i did not want to spend much money as my other car i have spent the money so to you people single cam vtec might not have the power as b16a h22a but it goeshard and is very fun to drive