PDA

View Full Version : installing amps in your boot

mugeneration
24-06-2005, 08:28 PM
hey guys just wondering about installing amps in your boot. Did you have to install any frames or anything or did you just screw them straight into your car's body? cheers

Tu88y
24-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Just screw in into you car body..

Its all depends on how you want to install the amp

baby_c
24-06-2005, 10:09 PM
depends on where u want to put it, but like tu88y said screw straight into the car body or if u want to screw it behind the seat, screw stright in the metal :)

ICACHA
25-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Just screw in into you car body..

Its all depends on how you want to install the amp

NEVER screw straight to the cars body, this will in some cases induce noise into the system.

Use an MDF board roughly same size as the amp or bigger, screw that down first with the screws counter sunk then screw the amp to the board that way the amp doesnt touch the body of the car and is ground isolated.

ICACHA
25-06-2005, 01:10 AM
depends on where u want to put it, but like tu88y said screw straight into the car body or if u want to screw it behind the seat, screw stright in the metal :)

Even if you want to screw it under the seat, always use a peice of MDF between the carpet and the body then screw your amp to the MDF...

zorrt
25-06-2005, 10:52 AM
I just screwed mine right onto the back of the back seats onto the metal parts. That way theres no visible damage to the car when removing the amp. So in the end the amp would be sitting on top of the carpet layer which covers the metal areas of the seat, maybe thats why I havent come across any problems with my DIY installations in regards to noise?

flyhonda
26-06-2005, 04:45 PM
yes, i would use some MDF like those guys are saying. but i made a whole new mdf piece to cover the spare wheel and screwed everything onto that.

mugeneration
26-06-2005, 05:57 PM
well if they end up in the boot theyd be mounted on each side of the boot (on the wall), as i would like to still be able to use my boot lol.

Z
26-06-2005, 06:03 PM
False floor :thumbsup:

jords
26-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree a false floor with the amps mounted inside, this also makes it easier to remove on race days!

raziel
26-06-2005, 07:06 PM
do what icacha says - use a piece of mdf , any hardware store has it and its cheap
zorrt - you've just been lucky . trust me mate one day the gods of car audio installation will f**k up your saturday arvo with a buzzing noise that won't go away till you stuff around redoing everything till 3am the next morning :(

by the way i have a false floor / amprack - it is removeable but its so heavy i don't take it out - ever ( if i have a flat tyre i think i'll call a tow truck - its too much work to get the amprack out :) )

NTR16N
27-06-2005, 11:20 AM
yup... screw it into the mdf...

but also another question... would you screw it into the mdf of the sub box... like on the sides or front?? or does this induce noise aswell??

ive seen alot of people do this and was just wonderin what would happen?? if anythin.. it sounds ok... but correct if wrong..

zorrt
27-06-2005, 01:03 PM
do what icacha says - use a piece of mdf , any hardware store has it and its cheap
zorrt - you've just been lucky . trust me mate one day the gods of car audio installation will f**k up your saturday arvo with a buzzing noise that won't go away till you stuff around redoing everything till 3am the next morning :

yea most probably aye haha, oh wells i didnt know about that sound inducing thing so i just screwed it straight on since it was convenient =) i'll do the MDF thing when i start hearing noise coming through the speakers. untill then i'll be a lazy ass and leave it.

dundas
27-06-2005, 03:05 PM
yeh, i put mine on sum vinyled MDF, then made a frame around, then more mdf which has been carpeted ^_^ looks pretty-- and fits snaugly as though it is apart of the boot:P

mugeneration
27-06-2005, 03:52 PM
thanks guys, im still hoping itll just fit under the seat, but wont find out til thursday (coz im not at home atm). If not a false floor does sound good, itd b a LOT of stuffing around though (coz id do it myself). To do it did any of you remove your spare?

As for screwing into the subbox, yeah a lot of people do this, but ive been told it can be disasterous as the subbox vibrates a lot (just what ive been told) and can vibrate the amp to destruction. Dont think it would create any noise. Also it would add a lot of weight to my sub box (which is STILL sitting loose :o ), so would inevitably cause a bit o damage. how do you secure your sub box properly?

Z
27-06-2005, 08:57 PM
If you have the time and desire, you will be able to make a false floor, keep your spare and have relatively easy access to it.