PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket cogs for Jazz manual gearbox?

djHSL
25-06-2005, 11:35 AM
90% of my driving is on country highways/freeways, and I find that the Jazz is geared too short for this work. I'd get a quieter, easier ride if I could replace a couple of cogs in the gearbox.

Any ideas?

rev-tech
25-06-2005, 02:29 PM
i think it would be relatively hard to get new cogs for a Jazz box because they are so new.
That said, i'm sure that there's places out there that would custom make a set of cogs up...probably cost a bit though. My dad had to get some cog's custom made for a diff in a loader the other month, i could ask him if the place he went to does smaller stuff for g'boxs.

Another option would be is to replace the diff with a lower ratio center. Although this will make all your gears longer. That may be a little anoying though if the car doesn't have enough torque to do a hill start or something?

Shane

bennjamin
25-06-2005, 02:44 PM
you coudl replace the FD (final drive) with a taller ratio , effectively changing the gearign for each gear ( taller or shorter , depending on the ratio)

I cannot see this as cheap at all tho - and im not sure i such a thign exists for Jazz , let alone any car ( most people change the FD , to get shorter gearing. )

Zimp13
25-06-2005, 03:03 PM
wats cogs anyway??? stand for anything???? issit cost of goods sale.... hehehhe

djHSL
25-06-2005, 05:11 PM
"cog" is the wheel of a gear ... the round thing with the teeth sticking out :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Final drive is probably easier, but then I might lose drivability in gears 1-3 ... it is really only 5th I'd like to change, and possibly 4th.

Oh well ... it seemed like a good idea at the time ...

Jus-10
25-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Yep don't think it's going to happen....

The only "simple" thing to change is the final drive as mentioned before, but even then the only straightforward swap would be to use the final drive out of the auto Jazz, but that's going to give you shorter gearing (not what you want).