PDA

View Full Version : Cams + Valve Springs..

[stealth]
25-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Are Valve springs a must for a stage 1 camshaft + camgear setup? or just optional?

Weq
25-06-2005, 05:55 PM
the cam should come with valve spring recommendations. In general though, stage 1's should work in harmony with a stock head.

[stealth]
25-06-2005, 11:05 PM
ah ok cools.. will see what the manufacturer says about em..

:)

EGB16A
26-06-2005, 10:09 AM
']Are Valve springs a must for a stage 1 camshaft + camgear setup? or just optional?

I'd recomend the cam gears, i've seen dyno results of about 10hp gain just from adjustable gears (can't remember other mods, but from memory it was fairly stock). They are worth about $300-400, which i think is good value, considering the potential gains.

[stealth]
26-06-2005, 01:03 PM
well ive got stage1 cams and cam gears.. just wanted to know if valve springs would be recommended or just optional with this stuff..

hondar
26-06-2005, 01:47 PM
']well ive got stage1 cams and cam gears.. just wanted to know if valve springs would be recommended or just optional with this stuff..

what brand of cams are they??? :D

flyhonda
26-06-2005, 05:38 PM
i dont think valve springs would be required for stage one..but would be a good idea to change over if you were thinking of doing more mods down the track. good luck

[stealth]
26-06-2005, 07:30 PM
what brand of cams are they??? :D

Skunk2 Leo..

why u ask? hehe :p

hondar
27-06-2005, 12:35 AM
']Skunk2 Leo..

new and for a very good price... why u ask? hehe :p

i am just lost.. lol you just mention stage 1 no brand no nothin... lol

nah im not probing about the prices and so on.. dont worry about it..

i am just interested in knowing whats going on..

since you bought the skunk2, the best person to ask is skunk2. shoot them an email to their tech side or whoever you bought them from (if they are a trader) to ask if you need to uprate the valve springs.

i am sure you dont want to use the wrong valve springs.

valve springs are designed for specific purpose.

not enough valvespring stiffness results in a valveface closing at higher speeds as it slams shut but in an uncontrolled manner and the valveface bounces off the seat or the valve sticks open (valve float or coil binding).

too stiff a valvespring makes the cam-rocker work harder to get the same level of lift as it works against more resistance.

have a look here... this is just an example on how each valve springs are designed for specific purpose. you dont want it to be too stiff nor too soft

Valve springs review (http://www.importreview.com/reviews/valvesprings.html)

strepto
27-06-2005, 12:37 AM
There are no gains in itself from camgears. Camgears just easy the timing/tuning process, and may yield some gains based on the way to tune it.

[stealth]
27-06-2005, 01:32 AM
yeah if the friggin skunk2.com site would work for me..... might get some answers... :thumbdwn:

[stealth]
27-06-2005, 02:21 AM
just from somewhere else selling em:

Stage I: Stage I profiles are designed to offer the widest possible powerband and be compatible with factory valvetrain components. These camshafts are designed to retain stock idle and are currently CARB EO-pending. Upgrading to Skunk2 Racing valve springs is recommended. Stage I profiles are relatively easy to tune for maximum power output

sydteg21
22-09-2005, 01:05 AM
if it is stage 1,it is ok to use stock spring, stage 2 you have to use aftermarket spring anf retainers