PDA

View Full Version : First time on track

euro77
25-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Today was my first time on the track. It's at Sandown. I joined Murcotts performance driving. Was a very good day today with much sun.
There are 3 S2000, a few porsches, a few commodores, 1 austin healy, 1 lotus, 1 lexus is200, 1 vectra, can't remember the rest.

First time lap I only get 1.56. After much instructions from the instructor, I finally shaved off 12 secs. My time at Sandown is currently 1.44.
I can highly recommend this performance driving course. It's an excellent way to start into tracking your car, and knowing the limit of the car. I certainly has now. Quite happy with the handling of my car, eventhough I can feel the car is a bit understeering almost at every corner. Went out of track about 3 times. I bent my front lower arm bar :(, most likely because my car is lowered too much. When I went out of the track the arm bar hits the ripple and bang... it's bent :thumbdwn:. I can hear clunking noise now at low rpm because the arm bar is now touching the converter(?).
But overall, I have lots of fun. Top speed was around 165. Strange thing though, the car is struggling going past 165 at 4th gear.

A few casualties today, 1 S2000 blew up the engine, 1 commodore wouldn't go anymore (don't know what's wrong), and the lotus had oil problem (I think). the IS200 and a commodore went out to the sand trap on turn 1.

There's one hell of a fast porsche today. It is very intimidating looking at the car coming so fast with blue headlights on the rearview mirror.

They also line us up against each other. Was pretty happy to be able to pass 3 cars on the first run, and 5 cars on the second one. There's a porsche carrera (not GT), it wasn't that fast, my euro launch faster. Could be the driver as well though.

Will definitely go tracking again, it is a lot of fun.

integraz
25-06-2005, 09:25 PM
looks like u had fun.
DAMN how did the s2000's engine blow up?!!!

euro77
25-06-2005, 09:31 PM
don't know, suddenly there are thick smokes from the engine, oil all over the track. Did ask the owner, and he said he saw smoke coming out of the bonnet, and then it just happened.

yfin
25-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Great post Euro77 - I was seriously looking at doing this course. Then by sheer chance I recently spoke to this guy:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20909

He used to work for Murcotts. I was asking if he had a similar performance course. He said at Murcotts they would have a car crash almost every time the course was run. Obviously no insurance covereage at all - sometimes very expensive cars totalled. He suggested I not take the Euro unless I am prepared to risk it.

His advice was to do the course in a rental car or a shit box.. Hmmm interesting advice.

euro77
25-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Luckily today no car crash!
Aside from car crash, if you hit the fence, you will have to replace it, and we were told it cost 400 bucks for a length!!!! 1 length is about a car length and 20cm(?) tall

I heard driver dynamics is very good.

There are some other courses that uses their own car, like ford performance driving (I can't remember the exact company name), they use the ford formula cars. There's also V8 driving where they use the cars similar to V8 racing. They are more expensive, but in the end if something goes wrong, it won't be your car.

yfin
25-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Did they give you good warnings about no insurance etc? It hurts to think of people crashing new Porsches etc.

euro77
25-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Did they give you good warnings about no insurance etc? It hurts to think of people crashing new Porsches etc.

yes they did before we jump to the track :)

EuroAccord13
26-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Well at least you had fun!!!!

We should have a look at your lower arm bar sometime!

BTW, did you manage to get the car aligned before the track after you picked it up from TT? That can attribute to your steering responses...

red_s2000
26-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I have been told these days when you enter any track events, your rego and vin details is recorded and hence if you make a warrenty claim, the dealer or insurance can access a database and find out whether you have been taking your car to the track. not sure is this true or just BS.

Any photo taken while you are on the track? either from professional or friends.

Felt the pain when you said a blew up S2000.

euro77
26-06-2005, 08:44 PM
No photos taken as far as i know.

I've removed the lower arm bar... I need to find someone who can straighten it again. I tried hammering it, but it didn't work and my ears hurt!!!

euro77
26-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Well at least you had fun!!!!

We should have a look at your lower arm bar sometime!

BTW, did you manage to get the car aligned before the track after you picked it up from TT? That can attribute to your steering responses...

can't find someone to properly align the wheels. Handling might have been better if it's aligned properly. Once it's aligned, I'll probably go for another track day.

^^v
27-06-2005, 09:19 PM
roughly how much do these courses cost?

euro77
27-06-2005, 10:25 PM
$352, you get discount if taken with Level 1 Defensive (which I highly recommend if you haven't had one before).
http://www.murcotts.com.au/2004/Programs/programs_15.asp?cntSec=../Images/Programs/se_programs.gif&cntAlt=Murcotts%20Driving%20Excellence%20-%20Programs