PDA

View Full Version : What will i gain?

MrPlow
03-02-2004, 08:24 PM
can someone give me a estimate (hp & kW) once i add the items below to my ek vti-r...

- 4-2-1 custom headers
- 2.25 piping from headers back
- hi flow cat (i think its a 8 litre cat)
- 2.5'' or 3'' exhaust

is there anything else i should do at the same time i get these done?

genesis
03-02-2004, 08:31 PM
are you going to get it tuned?

DynoDave
03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
To be honest unless you do cam gears and tune the ECU, at 100% throttle you will gain next to nothing.I had this chat today with Adrian from Toda Australia about what you are asking in this thread.
Regards Dyno Dave

MrPlow
03-02-2004, 10:28 PM
are you telling me, i will be gaining almost nothing from these mods, i refuse to believe this!

where do i go to get it tuned? what does it involev exactly?

vti-2
03-02-2004, 10:33 PM
are you telling me, i will be gaining almost nothing from these mods, i refuse to believe this!

Without sounding rude, you obviously don't know how important a tune is after a list of mods like that is performed on a car.

LatinoHatchCrap
03-02-2004, 10:35 PM
- 4-2-1 custom headers
I would strongly recomend just getting JDM headers from one of the guys here: they're proven to make a good decent amount of power for the price. Spoon, FGK and Mugen!!
-2.25 piping from headers back
Not sure exactly wot you mean but assume that you mean a 2.25" collector yeah?
- hi flow cat (i think its a 8 litre cat)
a good idea
- 2.5'' or 3'' exhaust
you do not need piping this big unless your turbo or making aorund the 200whp mark.
IMO you should also have a look at your intake system and at least replace the panel filter with something that flows better. And DD is correct cam gears and tuning will make your setup stand out 100 times more...with a bit of work you could be making around 100kws at the wheels...

LatinoHatchCrap
03-02-2004, 10:37 PM

welcome to the wonderful world on NA powaa :D !

McChook
03-02-2004, 10:54 PM
if there is one, and only one person you listen to on here, its DynoDave

MrPlow
03-02-2004, 11:02 PM
dynodave: your advice has been taken, but im still believing some power, even if small... will be made!

vti-2: I relise tuning is important, and i dont remember me saying anywhere that it wasn't, i simply just asked where do i get it done.... err... thanks for the help!

latinohatchcrap: thanks for your recommendations and will be looking into things a bit more in depth, hopefully i can get the right setup installed ... thanks again!

Rowie
03-02-2004, 11:04 PM
where are you located ?

madgrk
03-02-2004, 11:08 PM
I think (correct me if i'm wrong) that the ECU "wont allow" the mods to do anything because it doesnt really realise the difference between a better flowing pipe and a standard pipe etc.. An ECU tells a particular part to inhale/exhale a particular amount of air/water/crap at a particular time. Therefore if you got headers and an intake, an un-tuned ECU wont know if you have them on, thus cant use them to their full potential and only inhaling/exhaling the amount of air that IT was set to. You tune your ECU to instruct the car that something bigger and better is coming in to play now, and to adjust air/fuel ratios etc..

If my "theory" is right, you'd actually be losing power not making it.. God damn I hope this made sense because it seems pretty good to me lol.. :D

DynoDave
03-02-2004, 11:09 PM
I will explain what I meant with my post.
At 100% throttle you will gain next to nothing but at anything up to about 80% throttle you will make good gains, that is why the car feels faster. Any other engine but a Honda will respond to the change's that you want to do,I have spent the last 10 years doing research into this,when I modifed ALLMTR's headers on his B16A I lost power, I had to tune the ECU to get the power back . ALLMTR then went home and fitted a set of cam gears and we went back on the dyno and made very good gains with cam tuning and retuning the ECU.
This is one of the most over looked things to do when you start to modify a car the ECU should be the first thing you do, not the last after you have busted a few engine's trying to make more power with the factory tune that suits an unmodifed engine.So guys keep this thread going and we all might learn some more.

MrPlow
03-02-2004, 11:14 PM
arhhh ..... now we making sence .....

so what should be the first thing i do?

Rowie
03-02-2004, 11:18 PM
we might actually be getting somewhere here :)

DynoDave
03-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Please this is just my way of doing things
Step 1
Take to a dyno and get a base run up
Step 2
Fit an ECU that can be tuned (if you use a Hondata or Power FC base maps are very good to drive on until you can afford a dyno session )
Step 3
Fit adjustable cam gears (at STD cam timing)
Step 4
Fit headers and exhaust
Step 5 Get full service including injector service if engine has done more than 50k
Step 6 Get your new setup tuned to make what it will and you will be very happy with the results of all the money you have spent on your ride. Please remember that every change you make has an effect on another part of your car.
Regards Dyno Dave

MrPlow
04-02-2004, 12:00 AM
finally .... some great step by step advice ....

im on it dave ..... thanks a million will let you know how it goes!

DynoDave
04-02-2004, 12:17 AM
I hope this helps you all next time you think about doing a mod to your car. Just next time you want to know a Tech question put it in the Tech
section of this forum.
Regards Dyno Dave

[[d a n n y]]
04-02-2004, 10:03 AM
bro

2.1/4
exhast

MrPlow
04-02-2004, 10:10 AM
okay, thanks for your recommendation danny :)

LatinoHatchCrap
05-02-2004, 12:00 AM
top advice DD :)

bizee_1
05-02-2004, 02:00 AM
For some reason i've always neglected the Brains of the car..... :|

great advice ! :)