PDA

View Full Version : supercharge vs. turbocharge for a b18c

destrukshn
26-06-2005, 10:35 PM
okay i know that alot of people are against turbocharging the b18c.
but i was actually thinking what about supercharging?
isn't supercharging much more reliable than turbo? less components, lower boost etc.
i wanna get some info/advice/opions before i do anything to my car.
i'd prefer a supercharger on a type r than a turbo any day.
does anyone know of anyone or seen anyone with a supercharged b18c?

TODA AU
26-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Low power - low response.
Torque arrives just as you're about to change gears...
Ie: There is no meat in that pie...

destrukshn
26-06-2005, 11:21 PM
didn't quite get that..
please clarify?

wynode
26-06-2005, 11:29 PM
i'd prefer a supercharger on a type r than a turbo any day.

Why?

You would most probably be looking at something like a Jackson racing supercharger (http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33372) for some extra power.

saxman
27-06-2005, 03:32 AM
superchargers on a honda are a wonderful way to spend more money making less power than you would with a turbo

do you really want to put something on the car that relies on engine torque(something hondas are very limited on) to make it work? sure, you'll make more than you'll lose, but no where near what you would with a turbo.

And don't give me that "blah blah blah, so much lag with a turbo" crap... 99% of the time, people claiming that have no idea what they're talking about... it's certainly very easy to take care of with a properly sized turbo for the goals you're after

aznsiko
27-06-2005, 12:56 PM
YES with turbo you will make more.. alot more than supercharge.. but then again.. when you think about it.. isnt it true that superchargers are more for acceleration and turbochargers are more for high speed.. so logically.. the supercharger is better as ity will have the low end and when you reach the high end you've got VTEC.. so pretty good powerband.. and output.. but then again that is my own theory..

poid
27-06-2005, 05:47 PM
YES with turbo you will make more.. alot more than supercharge.. but then again.. when you think about it.. isnt it true that superchargers are more for acceleration and turbochargers are more for high speed.. so logically.. the supercharger is better as ity will have the low end and when you reach the high end you've got VTEC.. so pretty good powerband.. and output.. but then again that is my own theory..

read the post above yours...if you size the turbo right you will have low-end torque and a better top end than a supercharger

ie my turbo setup spools before 2000rpm and holds power to redline. So why would i want a supercharger that wont be any better down low but will make less power up top?

adammet04
27-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Still a fair point about parts/maintainence with superchargers VS turbo chargers..

With a lower 'boost' and lower pressure on the engine internals less likely to f$% up too i would think..

albii
27-06-2005, 06:47 PM
if you want good low down torque with minimal boost...a wrx type tdo4 would be perfect..if you want neck snapping go a t3/4 hybrid but you will screw the cars drive ability....personally for me a tdo4 running 10psi would be perfect on it...cheap too.

GSI-PSI
27-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Go turbo man. All the wayyyyyyyyyyy. trust me ;)

destrukshn
28-06-2005, 06:25 PM
i know the turbos can produce so much more power than the supercharger,
but what about reliabilty of the motor?
is the type r motor suited more to turbo or supercharging?

not sure what to do now.
lol.
well was never sure.
but just really curious on power out puts @ psi. kinda thing.
and driveabilty.

poid
28-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Still a fair point about parts/maintainence with superchargers VS turbo chargers..

With a lower 'boost' and lower pressure on the engine internals less likely to f$% up too i would think..

maintenance on a turbo setup isnt exactly hard, you change the oil etc more often and learn to listen to what the car is telling you about its health...

You could always run lower boost on a turbo setup, thats not really a 'plus' for superchargers. There is no need to run really low boost though...its been shown countless time that the correct setup and proper tuning will result in good power, excellent drivability and reliability

wynode
29-06-2005, 12:50 AM
If supercharges were soo good....don't you think everyone would be using them now? :)

EGB16A
29-06-2005, 08:44 AM
maintenance on a turbo setup isnt exactly hard, you change the oil etc more often and learn to listen to what the car is telling you about its health...

You could always run lower boost on a turbo setup, thats not really a 'plus' for superchargers. There is no need to run really low boost though...its been shown countless time that the correct setup and proper tuning will result in good power, excellent drivability and reliability

how often should you change oil on a turbo honda?

poid
29-06-2005, 08:56 PM
every 5,000km or so is good IMO

adammet04
29-06-2005, 09:15 PM
If supercharges were soo good....don't you think everyone would be using them now? :)

most mags i have read and some reviews have talked about increase/resurgence in superchargers...

however i see way more turbo engines in new cars now as well so yeah, you dont hear about a supercharges mazda 6, so yeah good point..

actually that was a pretty worthless post of mine...soz..

strepto
29-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Id SC it, but real men go N/A :D

saxman
30-06-2005, 06:03 AM
i know the turbos can produce so much more power than the supercharger,
but what about reliabilty of the motor?
is the type r motor suited more to turbo or supercharging?

not sure what to do now.
lol.
well was never sure.
but just really curious on power out puts @ psi. kinda thing.
and driveabilty.
reliability issues are really the same with both... get it tuned and set up right, keep it maintained, and you're fine

any honda(well, any engine that is high reving and doesn't make much torque) is more suited to a turbo than a supercharger

kenshin
30-06-2005, 07:14 AM

$$$

turbos are cheaper like you said...

bennjamin
30-06-2005, 07:26 AM
a turbo charger is essentially a supercharger coupled with a vacumm cleaner....making sure air gets pushed in and exhaust gets pulled out ASAP :)

AFAIK for the same compressor size + boost level there will no doubt be more power produced from a turborcharged setup. *just IMO*

Oh...superchargers sound tasty compared to a turboed setup IMO :)

saxman
30-06-2005, 11:39 AM
$$$

turbos are cheaper like you said...
they cost more, but they also require a lot more mechanical energy from the engine to operate, causing them to make less power... it has a lot more to do with than just $$

LO_N_SXC
30-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Why not do both?
I have seen a 4AGZE powered AE92 toyota corolla with such setup and it really worked, even HKS had such kit I think the car was called 4PERVN and used to be all over Hot4s and Autosalon shows and stuff.

Note: this is going way back, like over 5yrs ago! lol

saxman
30-06-2005, 01:02 PM
twin chargers are awesome set ups... lots of $$$$$$$ though

sever_all_ties
04-07-2005, 11:49 PM
imo, if u want f.i, u should've started out with a f.i car in the first place. but thats not wot this topic is about. so i say a properly specd and tuned turbo is the go.