PDA

View Full Version : inconsistent power!

Nuttz
03-02-2004, 10:06 PM
hi all

for some reason my car is lacking power(from normal :)) I notice most when the engine is cold.

what happens is when driving and getting to about 2000 rpm the motor seems to have a slight surge in power.. then it would drop off. and surge again at about 4000 rpm.. ive change the fuel filter+spark plugs recently as well.

what are things i can check??

bennjamin
03-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Your query is lacking a proper description - such as what car, engine , amount of k's , last service etc but -
When the engine is cold...the engine hasnt properly warmed up as yet...equals your engine not running at its efficient range.

Its never advisable to strain your engine...especially before even the thing has had a chance to warm up and flow.

LatinoHatchCrap
03-02-2004, 11:02 PM
I wouldnt worry about it if it runs fine once its warm...open and closed loop modes can and will feel different...dont rev your poor motor to 4k when its cold! thats just asking for more engine wear :(

UR2L8
04-02-2004, 11:30 AM
I agree with LatinoHatchCrap. If you got a VTEC motor then when the engine is cold the vtec wont engage because its not at the right engine tempereture. You are wearing out your engine and harming it by thrashing it or trying to drive in vtec when its cold. Be sensible man. Same even goes for non vtec or any other engines, dont drive so hard when engine is cold or warm.

tinkerbell
04-02-2004, 01:15 PM
hi all

for some reason my car is lacking power(from normal :)) I notice most when the engine is cold.

um, heeeeres your problem...

Nuttz
05-02-2004, 10:34 PM
OK OK..sorry guys for not giveing any info...
it an EG Vti.. 150,000k's, recent oil change.

and I dont thrash it when its cold.. but when driving normally when the engine is still cold it would have a weird surge when u go past 2000rpm... and the 4000 bit was just me thinking i'll clean the sucka out by revving it a bit.. :?

and after it does warm up there is no surge.. but a feeling of power that should be there..

UR2L8
05-02-2004, 10:36 PM
"150,000" theres your problem:)

EG_2_TEG
06-02-2004, 01:11 AM
i think those k's are still reasonable

look at the k's on this EG Vti (http://www.integrated.org.au/cars/navrally/page2/imagepages/image49.htm) and it still runs fine

i had a similar problem with my old EG vti (125k)
when i used pull off and turn at the same time on a cold engine, the car would feel like its towing something for about 2 seconds :?

tinkerbell
06-02-2004, 08:30 AM
i think those k's are still reasonable

look at the k's on this EG Vti (http://www.integrated.org.au/cars/navrally/page2/imagepages/image49.htm) and it still runs fine

i had a similar problem with my old EG vti (125k)
when i used pull off and turn at the same time on a cold engine, the car would feel like its towing something for about 2 seconds :?

maybe try reseting the ecu?

tinkerbell
06-02-2004, 08:30 AM
opps,

replyed to wrong post...

Nuttz - maybe try reseting the ecu...

Nuttz
08-02-2004, 03:48 PM
opps,

replyed to wrong post...

Nuttz - maybe try reseting the ecu...actually i reset it about a week ago...

Nuttz
08-02-2004, 03:56 PM
hey eg_2_teg:
did u ever get the problem fixed??

hmm maybe its time for the b18c :)