PDA

View Full Version : CAM gears

HVtiR
04-02-2004, 05:15 PM
i always here about cams, but i dun know what exactly like the more agressive cam gearing is all about. Like how does this affect the power of the car. Also can i get more acceleration/take off with tota cams.

Cheers

Greg V.

JAP88R
04-02-2004, 05:38 PM
u mean aggressive cams, not aggressive cam gears.. cam gears adjust the timing of the cam..

the camshaft uses lobes (called cams) that push against the valves to open them.... as the camshaft rotates, springs on the valves return them to their closed position..

key parts of any camshaft are the lobes... when the camshaft spins, the lobes open and close the intake and exhaust valves in time with the motion of the piston...

simply, more aggressive cams allow for longer duration of the valves being open...

cams arent the first things to change when u want acceleration... cams may give more power, but the gains are more apparent in middle to high rev range.. in conjuction with cams, in order for proper operation u would have to change valve springs.. this just adds to making it all reliable..

:arrow:

HVtiR
05-02-2004, 06:30 AM
what price am i looking at for these and the springs???

JAP88R
05-02-2004, 03:26 PM
brand? what is ur purpose? new/second hand? what car do u have?
are u going to change anything else?

cams isnt the first things id change...

ah789454
05-02-2004, 05:33 PM
for James at hondata-when you tune the cars do you adjust the cam gears aswell ( if the car is fitted with adjustable ones)?