PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: COMPTECH ICEBOX intake for s2000

.::F[L]Y::.
30-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Since im bored i thought id give you guys a review of my newly installed comptech icebox intake kit acquired through Hondar.

Reason i have chosen this kit for the s2000 as it has proven gains, it is aesthetically pleasing, adds a nice aggressive roar to the car. Also it does not cost and arm and a leg! as oppose to other intake kits on the market for this type of car.

Installation
Installation is abit of a pain in the ass and would roughly take abt 2-3 hours if you know what you are doing. The instructions are fairly useless when it comes the fitment of the airbox. The pre drilled holes do not line up with the holes on the car itself and you will more than likely have to drill new holes to make it fit nice and tight. Another issue was the bonnet stick would not fit into the slot properly so you will either have to trim the prog or modify the CF lid to allow the bonnet stick to fit, otherwise you wont be able to close your bonnet.

Performance
performance wise in comparison with the stock airbox the comptech gives much better throttle response mainly from 3500rpm onwards. Car picks up really well when you step on it as oppose to the stock airbox. The sound that you get is quite awesome...much louder than the stock airbox. You will notice the sound from abt 4000rpm through to vtec engagement, once vtec engages the thing just roars even louder :thumbsup:

Cons
The downsides of this intake kit in my opinion is that there appears to be no ducting from the front bar that would directly feed cold air similar to that of the j's racing intake. Also, as mentioned installation is a pain in the ass and i would recommend you have a mate with you when you are installing this as 2 heads are better than one. Furthermore, some strut bars will not clear this intake. For instance, the spoon strut will not clear but cusco and comptech strut braces will clear the intake with minor adjustments.

Ratings (out of 5:D )

Looks :D :D :D :D
Performance :D :D :D
Price :D :D :D

OVERALL :D :D :D :D

anyways heres a pic of wat it looks like installed ( note: not my car as i dont have a camera)
http://dut619.com/s2000/engine.JPG

nobbs
30-06-2005, 08:52 PM
nice write up john

HRV-80Y
30-06-2005, 09:17 PM
jdm CF yO !

nice nice looks ricey n jdm-ish ahha cf everywhere !

wat bout d cf spark plug cover ? lol

im lookn 2 get one of these comptech intakes too...

bennjamin
30-06-2005, 09:37 PM
moved to the article section :)

[stealth]
01-07-2005, 01:55 AM
nice writeup indeed... rather pics of ur actual comptech and ur car!!..

send me pics on msn maaate! :p

h22a accord
01-07-2005, 06:02 AM
i like that 2sk! whats that big fat thing in the middle of the intake pipe? nice nitrous setup!

JDM.Power
01-07-2005, 08:47 AM
nice !!

MIRZ
01-07-2005, 09:34 AM
good on ya mate. what about price ??? how much?

dundas
01-07-2005, 12:15 PM
from what you said, if u had to do sum custom work on something "brand named" i would not be too happy chappy :)
other than that--
Looks rather sexy

JINRAI
01-07-2005, 05:26 PM
props to that very nice lookin engine bay...looks great and good short and sweet review :thumbsup:

.::F[L]Y::.
02-07-2005, 12:52 AM
price from hondaR was $590 which was much cheaper compared to other brands on the market. Also you cnt get defected for this intake as the pod is enclosed.

well i think the intake was designed for the american spec s2k so some stuff doesnt line up...

btw i will try and get some pics up of it in my engine bay when i find a camera haha

Perry
02-07-2005, 01:15 PM
u can really feel the response wif the airbox and the vtec roarrrr