PDA

View Full Version : VTEC rattle?

Ronin
01-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi I've been reading a couple of posts - mainly about what oils to use, and have come across a reference to VTEC rattle?

Just wondering:

1) what is it?
2) How do you tell you have it?
3) What does it sound like?
4) where and how to locate it.

I've been doing a bit of vtec'ing lately and noticed a vibrating sound near my Comptech Box... just wondering whether its rattle or just vibration... or something else... i would say its coming from the passenger side foot area.

SPEEDCORE
01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
:confused: ay?

wynode
01-07-2005, 05:14 PM
What does this rattle of yours have to do with VTEC?

JINRAI
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
VTEC Rattle? sounds like a dance move :rolleyes:

D16Y
01-07-2005, 06:42 PM
i think he is refering to yfin's post

Guys - today I had my 30,000kms service.

I had Motul 8100 Xcess oil added by the dealer (5w40). It is 100% synthetic. I can say without hesitation that this oil is the best I have tried so far in the Euro (in terms of power). It cost $59.

You can probably find it cheaper - I was stuck for options in Perth.

This is what I have used so far:

Castrol Formula R 5w30 (10,000kms service) - revs fast but I could hear VTEC rattle from time to time. Stopped using this as I hear it is not 100% syn.
Shell Helix Ultra 0w40 (17,500kms service) - doesn't rev fast - car feels like it bogs down.
Castrol Formula R 0w40 (23,000 service) - this is very similar to the 5w30 in terms of performance. No VTEC rattle. Good stuff.
Motul 8100 xcess - (30,000 service) - revs very smooth and fast! Best I have used.
I think I will stick with the Motul from here on - love the way the car revs now.

yfin
01-07-2005, 06:55 PM
It is a sound fairly common on the Euros - at 6000+rpm it is like someone shaking ball bearings in a can (or the sound when you shake a can of spray paint). My perception is that the sound is coming from the glove box area.

I used to get it from time to time. Given the number of people in the USA that have reported this I have always assumed it was normal. Someone once suggested it is the timing chain. I am not so sure it is normal as it is intermittent.

Anyway - I have managed to eliminate it by using certain types of oil.

mr crex
02-07-2005, 01:11 AM
ooooooo sounds like your VTEC's loose, better check and tighten bolts before it falls off !!!

[[d a n n y]]
02-07-2005, 01:17 AM
vtec fell off

wynode
02-07-2005, 02:02 AM
It is a sound fairly common on the Euros - at 6000+rpm it is like someone shaking ball bearings in a can (or the sound when you shake a can of spray paint). My perception is that the sound is coming from the glove box area.

That to me sounds more like a pinging sound Yoram! Not a good sound at all if it is.

yfin
02-07-2005, 11:04 AM
That to me sounds more like a pinging sound Yoram! Not a good sound at all if it is.

Yeah - I am not worried as so many people have reported this. Anyway - this guy reckons his Honda delaer has found the problem:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6982&page=3&pp=15&highlight=rattle

I am convinced this has something to do with the viscocity of the oil as I have not heard that sound in well over 10,000kms. Only happened when I was using the cheaper non-syn oils. If this is exhaust related I think I would have heard it in more recent times.

POst #40

Hi guys,

FINALLY an answer to that crazy ball bearing, sucking, wooshing, scratching noise......Turns out it was not the heat shield at all but in fact the flex head attachment (not sure the exact name) below the exhaust manifold. I have attached a pic and circled the culprit.. Apparently the springs and donut that hold the flextube together are no good and they are rattling when engaging VTEC because at that RPM that portion of the tube is being forced down causing the rattling. They replaced number 12 (E-4, the graphite composite donut) and 13 and 14 (springs and bolts) as circled......No problems now what so ever. The heat shield was not distorted as originally believed (a ploy to buy time I think) but either way the sound is totally gone. Guess what...the parts manager told me this IS a recall on RSX's. He thinks it is a matter of time before the TSX's are recalled for this issue. By the way, you can use (according to the mechanic), parts from an RSX Type S to repair this issue. Please if you have this problem, have the dealer check this out and bring in this diagram to show them specifically. I love reving it up now...smooth and silky baby!

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2976&stc=1

Limbo
02-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I agree with Wyn, sounds like the car is actually pinging to me. Cos when you Vtec you are changing to an agressive profile, fuel, mapping are also more aggresive. I think it might also have to do with the fuel your using? That is generally the prob. Also a when using thinner oil you your car is able to rev higher than normal due to lower viscosity. I think it might not be the oils your using, rem oil is for protecting against friction, rattling is something else. I think maybe a dyno checkup will be a better test for you it might be leaning out too much at around 6k.

yfin
03-07-2005, 02:14 AM
I agree with Wyn, sounds like the car is actually pinging to me. Cos when you Vtec you are changing to an agressive profile, fuel, mapping are also more aggresive. I think it might also have to do with the fuel your using? That is generally the prob. Also a when using thinner oil you your car is able to rev higher than normal due to lower viscosity. I think it might not be the oils your using, rem oil is for protecting against friction, rattling is something else. I think maybe a dyno checkup will be a better test for you it might be leaning out too much at around 6k.

I run 98ron except for one fill in WA when I was up north at 95 ron. I know what I am describing may be a similar sound to pinging - but I seriously doubt it. Also - wouldn't a 2004 model car have a knock sensor on the ECU?

Suntzu
03-07-2005, 04:42 PM
My cars going in for its first 1000km service tommorow. Ive had it one week and just got back from a 800k round trip. Its actually got 1350kms on it but honda said thats ok.

A couple of things:

Its got a rattle in the top right corner of the drivers window? Is that normal to have rattles so early.
AND
Its got a weird sounding rattle when I downshift when driving modestly (6 sp manual). From say changeing from 3rd to 2nd with a few rpm on board, say 4000rpm at the takeup of 2nd. Like a drive line burble/rattle sound? Is that normal?

Otherwise its driving brilliantly during its run in. Just thought I check if others had experienced this?

Limbo
04-07-2005, 01:37 PM
I run 98ron except for one fill in WA when I was up north at 95 ron. I know what I am describing may be a similar sound to pinging - but I seriously doubt it. Also - wouldn't a 2004 model car have a knock sensor on the ECU?

You would hope so considering how much the Euro costs, unless the knock sensors are faulty? But i could be wrong, only way to know is to take it to a good tune shop, put it up on the dyno and they can tell ya if it leans out or is pinging.

yfin
04-07-2005, 09:22 PM
You would hope so considering how much the Euro costs, unless the knock sensors are faulty? But i could be wrong, only way to know is to take it to a good tune shop, put it up on the dyno and they can tell ya if it leans out or is pinging.

I have had it on a dyno - they said it ran very rich and was typical of most new Hondas they have seen.

Ronin
05-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Well I'm running Mobil 0w - 40... which is very good stuff - but Guess I'll try something else next time