PDA

View Full Version : Rear Lights on 96 Hatch

kimbi
05-02-2004, 12:37 PM
hey :)

i have a 96 civic hatch and its got white lights on the back. Last sunday i got pulled over by the cops and they were going to defect me for them because its illegal to show a white light at the back.

what i need to know is a cost effective way to fix this. i dont want to buy new rear lights, and when i went to auto-one they said they dont stock red globes because theyre also illegal (what the hell is the world coming to!!!)

any auto electricians out there? what should i do!! :oops:

[[d a n n y]]
05-02-2004, 12:41 PM
hm..mate go to autojoy..they got red lights globes

kimbi
05-02-2004, 12:47 PM
are you serious? they were the guys who told me my lights were 'totally legal'!!!

[[d a n n y]]
05-02-2004, 12:52 PM
well

i dunno what u can do

spray ytour globes?

hm...

i'm not sure if spraying ur globes will b safe but..

ask around

or just spray ur lgiht or use amber spray

madgrk
05-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Dont spray the globe, you'll more than likely blow it. Take a pic of the lighting arrangement and show us. Probably the easiest solution to do as that way we can all see whats happening etc. :)

[[d a n n y]]
05-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Dont spray the globe, you'll more than likely blow it. Take a pic of the lighting arrangement and show us. Probably the easiest solution to do as that way we can all see whats happening etc. :)

i thought so

it blow's ey?

madgrk
05-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Yeah well its very similar to touching a globe, it might not blow it straight out but it does reduce its life. But they make some kind of "condoms" that fit over the top of a globe. No idea how they work (never used them sorry!) but apparently they could work!?!?? That could be the only solution to this mans problem :?

[[d a n n y]]
05-02-2004, 01:13 PM
yes agreed then

mate get a condom and spray it red and put it over ur globe

haha

and thanks mate for the info learn new things everyday :P

Geek
05-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Hey does anyone know where u get them red plastic covers that go over the bulbs then?

I had just been painting my clear globes with red dye paint stuff and wondering y they werent lasting as long as they should. I didnt know that this causes the bulb to blow?

Whenever one stuffed up its usually the brake light that brakes but the globe doesnt physically blow. The night light still works though just the wire for the brake goes.

A'PEXi
06-02-2004, 01:13 AM
hahahhah good one danny! extra small :P

ek
09-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Buy some proper rice lights which have the red for brake, or just pick up some second hand stock tail lights.

Its friggin annoying driving behind those cars which the owners have picked up altezza's for $10 at the markets.

XXpl0Sive
09-02-2004, 10:59 AM
^ Agreed.
If you're going to rice, rice it properly
Haha

Civic Type R
09-02-2004, 11:08 AM
^ Agreed.
If you're going to rice, rice it properly
Haha
lol, a bit of a contradiction but i know what you mean ;)
I totally agree with u too.

kimbi
09-02-2004, 02:40 PM
ooh as stupid as it sounds my mother dearest went to repco and they sell the covers (heh the condoms!) though the kid there convinced her they wouldnt work (parents are so impressionable)

but i might have to try that.. ill post a pic of the lights this afternoon :) thanx for the help!!!

kimbi
09-02-2004, 02:41 PM
PS: hate the stock lights - they look shitehousen on a purple car. And the altezzas dont look that bad!! i just want to fkk off this white business

mickey_matrix
09-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Hi!

I've also got a '96 Civic Hatchback and one of my reverse lights have stopped working. Can anyone help me out and tell me how to change the bulb myself? - I know, I know ... stupid question but my car knowledge is limited :P

Thanks in advance.

kimbi
09-02-2004, 02:46 PM
hehe even i know how do to that! (in most cars) you just pop the boot, find the panel that opens for the lights, find the blown one and stick a new one in.. not that hard :)

mickey_matrix
09-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

I tried that though, I popped open the boot, lifted off the inside cover to reach my lights but there's all this stuff in the way and I can't reach the bulb :(

Geek
09-02-2004, 09:08 PM
Yeah u just push it to the side a bit and u will be able to feel the end of the bulb.. u need to twist it around so it unlocks then it should be loose so you can then pull it out.

Thanks for the info re repco kimbi I will go and check it out.

Unless anyone wants to buy my lights? :roll:

ek
09-02-2004, 10:46 PM
If you dont like the stock tailights, then spend some cash and get some decent rice lights on it (if there is such thing) :)

Similar to these I guess....
http://www.ozeparts.com.au/picture.asp?showPic=HCC8000NSX.jpg

Although I dont know even if the indicators on these ones are the right colour (orange)

kimbi
10-02-2004, 02:19 PM
i was going to buy a set but i dont have the cash atm and i want to get it roadworthy ASAP.. but as for those ones im just opposed to the red with my car cause i dont like the way it looks with the purple (im a real girl when it comes to that)..

the other lights i like i dont think are made for my civ.. theyre like completely blackened out ??? - my friend with a 94 civ has them..

bummer. :twisted:

A'PEXi
10-02-2004, 05:53 PM
umm what do they look like anyway? got pics?... shouldnt be hard to resolve, swap the bulbs, paint them, or change your lights :D

ek
11-02-2004, 10:29 AM
i was going to buy a set but i dont have the cash atm and i want to get it roadworthy ASAP.. but as for those ones im just opposed to the red with my car cause i dont like the way it looks with the purple (im a real girl when it comes to that)..

the other lights i like i dont think are made for my civ.. theyre like completely blackened out ??? - my friend with a 94 civ has them..

bummer. :twisted:

Girl, you need red, thats what colour the brake lights are :)

kimbi
11-02-2004, 11:54 AM
well the ones i want (they blackened ones) do glow red and look pretty cool - and should be legal - just i dont have the cash for new lights because im looking to save for new wheels (white ones!!). ill just have to take a pic of the current ones and hope new bulbs will be ok, cause other than the 'not showing red' they look pretty good...