PDA

View Full Version : Most popular ECU for the DC5 that works ? Hondata ?

dc5melbteg
02-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey all its Alf from Melbourne, I just picked up my Silver 03 DC5 last week and it need’s a really good tune, its got a 2.5” exhaust system on it with a apexi N1 muffler, stock headers, Hondata intake gasket, injen CAI intake, and Tein HA coilovers… I’v just changed the plugs and the old ones were black as hell, and I let Honda replace all the fluids and do a full service, although I gave them some Motul 300v engine oil, that made the engine rev so much nicer…. But still the car likes to puff out black smoke when I nail it hard. Iv done a search and seen a lot of people using Hondata, the dyno graphs and peoples feed back sound unreal, but is there another option for the DC5 or is Hondata simply the best? Ive read some info on trying to make the Motec m800 work and talked to the guys at centrax in QLD and they still can’t make the Motec m800 on there dc5 race car work plus from what they told me its way out of my price range, and I want to keep my factory wiring, so Honda keep my extended warranty. Also who’s the best person to go to for tuning in Melbourne ?

Alf

strepto
02-07-2005, 01:39 PM
I'd put my money elsewhere first. You should really look into getting a better header - like say the Toda unit, which is really nice. A K-Pro reflash of your stock ECU will prove some really nice gains with that!

dc5melbteg
02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah I just saw the dyno graphs of the differences Toda headers makes and yeah very impressive, even more impressive after there tuned with Hondata, for now though I want to stop my car from blowing black smoke, so I want a ECU that I can be tuned, and then retuned when I fit my headers so the way I see it, either way I need a ECU might as well get it now sooner than later and fix my rich problem whilst I’m at it, I just want to make sure I’m choosing the best option for me, every keeps saying Hondata, looks like Hondata is the way to go then, unless someone else has input ?

BF
02-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Three mods in particular have proven well for dc5r... Injen cai, toda headers+exhaust, ecu and tune. I'm not sure about whats on the market for dc5r in terms of ecus, I'm almost certain apexi dont make one for the ivtec. Nevertheless, a considerable portion of people have used hondata and have been happy with the results. The benifit of hondata is there is a great deal of aftermarket support.

Non Vtec
03-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Personally I'd use the Hondata K-Pro you should be able to get a map off there Programme editor that will almost be perfect for your set-up. the Black smoke your talking about is the car running rich up top end.
Get a K-Pro, some brand of CAI, and some nice headers probably Toda. after that there is a few brands of cams you can upgrade to depending on the amount of money you want to spend..