PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Tyres - Anyone tried these on their euro?

V205
03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.marangoni.com/content.asp?L=3&idMen=146

It's either that or the Yokohama AD07 (not yet aus approved?) for me...

yfin
03-07-2005, 08:14 PM
http://www.marangoni.com/content.asp?L=3&idMen=146

It's either that or the Yokohama AD07 (not yet aus approved?) for me...

I doubt anyone will have tried these - let alone heard of them!

I am also moving away from directional tyres like these. I used to have directional Falken 512 tyres. The Dunlop 3000As I have now are asymetric. The benefit of an asymmetric tyre is more groves on the inner side giving better grip on wet roads. The difference is like night and day. No - I am not a tyre expert and can only tell you my experiences.

With the directional Falken - even when new the traction control would work very hard on the Euro. Lets take 1st gear as an example. Full throttle and tractional control would work its way all the way to redline. Cutting in and out - in and out. With the Dunlops - the traction control only kicks in at around 3000rpm and then for only a fraction of a second.

I can't get traction control to kick in second gear either - even around corners. Go asymmetric - you will not regret it.

I am sold on asymmetric tyres now for the Euro.

V205
03-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Maybe that particular directional tyre from Falken is not suited for an Euro?

The best feeling (steering response, cornering stability, straight line stability) tyres I have personally driven on is Yokohama A509 on a Honda Prelude. I had also tried Dunlop FM901 on the same Prelude, it was so bad that I had to change it back to A509 after a few days. I would have to say that setup was better than my S15 200SX with Yokohama ES100.

From what I can see, the A509 has a square contact patch as oppose to slightly rounded'ness of the ES100.

The Zeta Linea looks to be pretty square too... and same with AD07.

coladuna
03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
I am also moving away from directional tyres like these. I used to have directional Falken 512 tyres. The Dunlop 3000As I have now are asymetric. The benefit of an asymmetric tyre is more groves on the inner side giving better grip on wet roads. The difference is like night and day. No - I am not a tyre expert and can only tell you my experiences.

I had the Dunlop 3000A on my Prelude before and they were great. Very good in the wet and very low level of noise also. I'm getting tired of the stupid tyre that comes with Euro as standard. Dunlop SP2050 or whatever they are called. It's bloody noisy and not very grippy in the wet. I'll certainly be changing it to something else when it wears out.

yfin
03-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Maybe that particular directional tyre from Falken is not suited for an Euro?.

Most likely yes. They were good in the dry but could not handle the wet.

There could be more to the directionals not giving enough traction in the wet than just my experience. I know Euroaccord13 had Eagle F1s and was not happy in the wet. Euro77 has the new GSD3s and also has commented that he is not quite happy in the wet either. Both highly regarded directional tyres.

baboo
04-07-2005, 12:18 PM
AD07 is the best performance tyre out there, wet or dry.

but you wouldn't get more than 10,000km out of them.

MiSloVic
04-07-2005, 04:02 PM
the Falken 512 is not really considered a performance tyre, even though its directional design may suggest otherwise. it is above average dry grip, but wet roads are better taken with care. I believe Falken gave it a directional design for marketing (or cosmetic) reasons.

that said, the Goodyear F1 GSD3 is one of the best.. Am using the GSD3 now and i wont turn back.

Advan AD07 has very good dry grip, but still, need to watch out for wet roads, though. from my part of the world, a few drivers had crashed out using ad07, on wet roads.

V205
04-07-2005, 08:09 PM
U can't beat physics... drive slower in the wet! :D

the Falken 512 is not really considered a performance tyre, even though its directional design may suggest otherwise. it is above average dry grip, but wet roads are better taken with care. I believe Falken gave it a directional design for marketing (or cosmetic) reasons.

that said, the Goodyear F1 GSD3 is one of the best.. Am using the GSD3 now and i wont turn back.

Advan AD07 has very good dry grip, but still, need to watch out for wet roads, though. from my part of the world, a few drivers had crashed out using ad07, on wet roads.

yfin
04-07-2005, 09:14 PM
the Falken 512 is not really considered a performance tyre, even though its directional design may suggest otherwise. it is above average dry grip, but wet roads are better taken with care. I believe Falken gave it a directional design for marketing (or cosmetic) reasons..

What do you base this comment on? The 512s are performance oriented. Soft silica compound, made in Japan, ZR speed rated.

3000As rock in the wet! Raining buckets in Perth tonight and I feel like I am driving all wheel drive.

MiSloVic
05-07-2005, 11:27 AM
well, when i was using the 512, they do not really give the confidence to go faster.. the ABS was very active when I was using it ..

personally, i dont give labels like silica, japan or ZR speed rated. they just indicate that the tyres conform to certain standards, and does not necessarily indicate the performance.
my impression of the 512 was also confirm by a local mag, which rated the 512 as a class 'B' tyre, which means it is a good OE replacement. The performance figures like the braking/cornering, in wet and dry are a very similar to the older, non-directional, non-symmetrical, Falken 326.
stuffs like the AD07, GSD3, S-03 are class 'A+' tyres by the same mag.

EuroAccord13
05-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm now using Pirelli Dragons... Sweet As!!!

baboo
05-07-2005, 11:46 AM
S03s are not what they are claimed to be, GIII performs the same. I would never buy s03 again.