PDA

View Full Version : [EURO] Auto Drivers

jl88rl
04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey auto drivers, from day one when i slide from N to D (eg, reversing out of my driveway) something in the engine clicks as i move off forward.

Just slowly be moving backwards in N, then slide it into D gives this "click".

Can someone PLEASE verify this... i went to dealer and tried to show them, however it didnt happen at THAT time! (Murphy's Law) So they thought it was all in my mind. :thumbdwn:

exISeuro
04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I know what you are talking about.

This only happens if you shift from R->N->D while the car has momentum, whether slight or drastic.

Its a loud CLICK which occurs within the first 1 or 2 seconds of driving in D. Definately transmission related.

To overcome it come to a full stop when reversing and change gears although i get the click 8 times out of 10 because i cant be bothered waiting.

jl88rl
04-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Im glad i heard from u.

Now, if i can, i come to a full stop and then slide to D with brakes pressed. Just dunno if it will damage the transmission...?

adammet04
04-07-2005, 09:17 PM
yeah i can confirm too..

i would assume akin to doing the same in a manual?

probobly how the auto system handles our lazyness?

good question...cant find anything about it in manual...but when stuff clicks then it probobly isnt good...although i agree sometimes you just need to shift ..
eg 3 point turn in traffic etc...im not waiting to stop to get outta that !! :p

jl88rl
04-07-2005, 09:20 PM
LoL ur exactly right... well i went to Larke Hoskins Homebush and they didnt give any answers. If any of u guys are gunna see ur dealers any time soon would u be able to quickly quizz them about it?

Cheers...:D

jamchen
04-07-2005, 09:22 PM
sad to say its common on all honda cars... because its design of auto transmission box something like make the trans last longer ( correct me if i am wrong :o )... i already express my concern to my dealer and they guarentee there will be no safety concern or failure on the CLICK sound :D
just like the click sound you might get when first apply brake after changing direction :(

adammet04
04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
cool...so its a 'feature' not an issue :p

aaronng
04-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Auto drivers are lucky to get away with just a click. When I do the same thing with my manual, I get a GRRAASSHH sound....

adammet04
04-07-2005, 10:45 PM
yeah..aarong..i was trying to figure out how to put what would happen in a manual...i think that accurately sums it up...

VirIIx
05-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Auto drivers are lucky to get away with just a click. When I do the same thing with my manual, I get a GRRAASSHH sound....

i hate that sound.. and you even get it sometimes after you've stopped and change to reverse which is pretty damn annoying - makes you sound like such a klutz.

aaronng
05-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah. I was quite shocked the first time, then I repeated it and it kept doing the terrible noise. Now when I think back, I'm reminded of Homer Simpson being electrocuted for a science project study (the mouse learnt faster than him)

Slugoid
05-07-2005, 04:01 PM
The noise is probably coming because the syncro's aren't aligning the gears properly, hence the click or crunch. Easiest way to solve that is to leave in in neutral for a few seconds when going from reverse to D or vice versa. I know that works for manual when changing to gears without syncro (i.e. reverse).

aaronng
05-07-2005, 04:28 PM
For manuals, yes, Reverse does not have synchros, so the car has to be stopped before going into R. And even stopped, sometimes the gear teeth might clash.

But for Autos, there are no synchros.... They use planetary gears...

zorrt
05-07-2005, 04:43 PM
All I know is that when driving an auto you shouldnt be changing the gears while in motion as it can damage the gear box especially if your transmission oil isnt in great shape. Dunno bout explanation of why this happens cause I never bothered asking into details why this and that happens, just asked if its bad or not.

VirIIx
05-07-2005, 05:03 PM
In general you should stop the car before reversing (if that's what we're referring to still atm).

But, i agree, even when stationary you will still get the painful grinding sound in a manual.

For those in a manual - I've noticed the last week or two that when trying to shift into reverse it only goes half in, and normally i shift into first and then back into reverse to get it to go in smoothly - can't explain why - i read somewhere about it that it works - and it does. But.. it seems to be happening, even when it should slide in nicely, it doesn't.

Could it be the recent cold weather lately? or a good service and change of fluids?

aaronng
05-07-2005, 06:58 PM
In general you should stop the car before reversing (if that's what we're referring to still atm).

But, i agree, even when stationary you will still get the painful grinding sound in a manual.

For those in a manual - I've noticed the last week or two that when trying to shift into reverse it only goes half in, and normally i shift into first and then back into reverse to get it to go in smoothly - can't explain why - i read somewhere about it that it works - and it does. But.. it seems to be happening, even when it should slide in nicely, it doesn't.

Could it be the recent cold weather lately? or a good service and change of fluids?
The "halfway going into reverse" for manuals happens because the reverse gear is a straight cut gear (with a slightly flat top), so there is a chance that tooth meets tooth and cannot go in. If it is warm, the transmission fluid is less viscous, and there is a chance that the gear will slide in if enough force is used. If cold, then it'll be stuck on the tooth. Just pull back to neutral, and try again (others recommend shifting into another gear so that the teeth shift before trying again).

jl88rl
05-07-2005, 08:49 PM
So i heard the click was a 'safety feature?' and also according to zzort, it means it might damage the transmission...

im just glad to hear its not just my euro.

coladuna
05-07-2005, 09:18 PM

I've had that happen, but it rarely happens when shifting into reverse.
It happens far more often when I try to shift into first from neutral.
It's very frustrating to have that happen when you are trying to take off in a hurry.

VirIIx
06-07-2005, 01:55 PM
i find it happens when i try to shift into 2nd from neutral rather than first most times. But agreed it is annoying esp when you are in a rush to get out of a jam

kam
07-07-2005, 02:42 PM
thanks for pointing this 'click' sound out, jl88rl. i never noticed it before, but now that youve mentioned it, i cannot help but notice it...

Eurotony
13-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey auto drivers, from day one when i slide from N to D (eg, reversing out of my driveway) something in the engine clicks as i move off forward.

Just slowly be moving backwards in N, then slide it into D gives this "click".

Can someone PLEASE verify this... i went to dealer and tried to show them, however it didnt happen at THAT time! (Murphy's Law) So they thought it was all in my mind. :thumbdwn:

I have the same issue & I actually got the dealer to get a Honda technical person to come & listen to the noise. They have assured me in writting that it is a normal operational noise & will not effect the operation of the gearbox. Apparently it is a gear slidding along a shaft & only occurs when the gearbox is cold & the clearances are tighter.

qmjona
13-07-2005, 07:33 PM
This makes sense, I have only ever noticed it when shifting into rev. to leave the garage first thing in the morning (auto) never noticed once warm.