gelo
04-07-2005, 09:42 PM
hey guys
got track day tomorrow
just wanan ask
when i track my car
i want the oil level to be a bit over the top hole on my dipstick

lets say mine is a bit over halfway between the two holes
many much oil do i need to use to get it to where i want?

thanx
gelo

Redteg
04-07-2005, 09:59 PM
I was always under the impression that the difference in oil level between the lower and top level of the dipstick was 1 litre, so that'd mean you need to add 1/2 a litre of oil.

I have never verified this though, car hasn't had a chance to lose any oil with such frequent changes.

bennjamin
04-07-2005, 10:34 PM
ill add to the confusion...to this very day im still not 100% sure exactly how much oil is in my car , when I check the dipstick a day or several after doing a oil change.

Becasue , if the stick is jsut above the lowest dot , then add 1/2 a litre then its at 3/4 mark again ?!?

Someone who knows 110% , for all of us - PLEASE tell us now.

1. When/how to properly test the cars oil level ?
2. What height on the dipstick , signifies what oil level etc ?
3. Purple monkey dishwasher ?

dundas
04-07-2005, 10:55 PM
i can verify 3 for you-
they are now widely distributed at your local $2 store thanks

ATSE
04-07-2005, 11:32 PM
The lowest dot to the highest dot is 1 quartz which is 0.95 litres. When to check oil has always been a question. Some say when cold, because all the oil is in the sump therefore more accurate reading, some say when warm, because the oil has spread around the engine, therefore a real indication of how much oil there is when the oil is distributed. I check when warm, but it doesn't mean its right (even when the user manual says so).

For my car (ek4) the manual says it takes 4 litres (4.2 quartz) and to fill upto the upper mark of the dipstick. So i reckon that the upper mark of my dipstick is 4 Litres.

I've read alot of ppl who autocross or track their cars always add a bit more into their engines, to avoid oil starvation in the engine when taking hard corners etc... but just take it as gospel. But a larger oil sump takes care of that...

Rufes1
05-07-2005, 12:19 AM
For checking oil when doing a mechanic apprenticeship we would run the engine warm, turn the car off, let it sit for about 20seconds then check. Then got the oil spot on the max dot.

I agree too that between the lower and upper is approx just under a litre.