PDA

View Full Version : Beefing up the GSI

imminent_
06-02-2004, 12:37 PM
I recently got myself a '97 auto GSI.. and i don't want anything stupid, but i would like to make it go that lil bit quicker.

there's another thread about this, but i'm not technical in terms of bits n pieces.. so i had nfi what you guys were on about :P

I don't want to throw too much money at it - like getting a turbo, because being an auto, it's realistically a waste of time. But if i can put in a few little things that'd make it special..

For instance, i presume an exhaust'll free up a few extra kw's? (how noticeable though?) What about those powerchip gadgets they advertise? Or extractors, different tyres (running shit $70 yoko-somethings atm) .. hell, i don't even know half of it.

Anyway, if someones got an idea on an item, what it does and a rough cost.. it'd be very much appreciated. (or should i just dump it in a years time and do the VTIR thing?)

vti-2
06-02-2004, 12:41 PM
I/H/E = Intake (pod filter), Headers (extractors) and Exhaust system.

That is the best mod you could possibly do performance wise, the car will sound good and will definitely benefit powerwise from the mods.

Let us know where you are from as some guys might want to suggest workshops etc.

Good luck and welcome to Ozhonda.

imminent_
06-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks :) still getting my avatar and everything up and running. I'm in Melbourne..

i've heard about the pod filters.. what do they do? And what do extractors do? Scuse the noob questions .. heh

vti-2
06-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Aftermarket pod filters help the engine breath better. You can actually get panel filters as well but DC2 Teg's have pod style filters. On a GSi you will definitely gain a few kw's but on a VTi-R for example people generally install pods for the induction sound.

Extractors help the engine breath better too. Aftermarket headers are generally bigger than the factory ones and flow better therefore giving you extra power.

With the exhaust system i'd recommend you go for a hi-flow cat as well as again if will help deliver that extra bit of power.

I wouldn't really waste too much money on a power chip though. They are fairly expensive and don't really deliver the large power gains they claim.

dcii_sir
06-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Sorry for the useless input but I reckon u should put a bodykit on the car first and then lower it.. that way the car will look fully SHICKKKK!!! :D

imminent_
06-02-2004, 03:17 PM
hah, i was thinking of lowering it, but i won't be able to get into my driveway. I'd like to see someone else with a lowered + bodykit (i presume the type r?) and see how it is first :)

so how much are pods/extractors ? Does it matter what kind ?

and the biggie - will justcar still insure me afterwards, if i've done engine mods?

A'PEXi
06-02-2004, 05:28 PM
i/h/e and maybe a set of 16' racing rims would do the job...

EG_2_TEG
06-02-2004, 11:51 PM
and the biggie - will justcar still insure me afterwards, if i've done engine mods?

i think insurance companies don't really care whether u whack an exhaust and shit on ur ride

they're more worried about whether ur car has any type of forced induction :)

madgrk
07-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Justcars will insure you, its just a matter of how much you are willing to pay ;)

imminent_
09-02-2004, 11:28 AM
hrmm..

so does anyone know a good place to start researching i/h/e ?

madgrk
09-02-2004, 11:49 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/search.php

Best place to start my friend.. Do a search and read over what others have tried. Probably your best bet, unless you know a bunch of GSi owners hehe :)

joneblaze
09-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Umm.... this site? Click on the "search" button.. or look through past threads in the Integra or Technical sections....
there have been a hell of alot of questions/answers. Good luck.

you might also want to check out www.team-integra.net ... best online resource for Integras IMO...

also www.honda-tech.com
There's others such as Bseries.net, Superhonda etc etc

jon

vti-2
09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
What do you mean by researching?

What is your budget?

poweredbyhonda
10-02-2004, 12:47 PM
You asked will Justcar still insure you meaning that you are insured with them at the moment?
They will insure you even with a an aftermarket turbo so I wouldn't think an exhaust, airfilter or any other mods will affect your policy.
You'll have to worry more about keeping your car legal or if not legal away from the cops.
Don't get a Powerchip no matter what. They are a waste of money. Been there done that. Usual mods as stated above will be good for a small power increase.

imminent_
11-02-2004, 11:15 AM
i mean researching in terms of .. okay, i want a pod filter.. now does it matter what kind or brand i get? or do they do the same thing and you're just paying for brand/pretty colours.

Budget i have no idea on .. i don't know how much is expected of this kind of stuff, and i assume i'm going to be ass****ed when it comes to a mechanic doing it for me?

With insurance it was whether they'll increase the cost of my insurance dramatically or not. I don't mind paying a bit extra, but if they're going to be stupid about it, there's little point, isn't there?

Do most people on here have insurance? I've afriend who used to work at AAMI.. he liased with the justcar people.. and its kind of funny really - they turn a total blind eye - but charge a stupid amount of $$ - for a P plater whose parents just bought a top spec STI. Mmmmm

I stumbled across a magazine the other night.. Honda Tuning - a US mag.. kind of interesting - they're building a 13 second integra for US$10,000 - spread over a few issues. Not very practical as they've stripped everything out, but should be an interesting read anyway..

madgrk
11-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda Tuning you say? Is it readily available? Has anyone else seen this? Sounds good for a prospective buyer like myself. Wouldnt mind gettin some good hardcopy info on these things..

imminent_
12-02-2004, 07:11 PM
i'm not sure.. it's the first time i've seen it at this particular newsagency... but they appear to have been out and about for ages.

enoch
07-09-2004, 02:42 PM
hey i have teg GSi auto as well...
what u should do is...

do a prelude engine/tiptronic conversion
type r kit
i/h/e
suspension
stickers (that'll give u at least 50kws)
well thats what i want to do anyway, but everyone keeps telling me NOT to do it...

lerroy
07-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda Tuning you say? Is it readily available? Has anyone else seen this? Sounds good for a prospective buyer like myself. Wouldnt mind gettin some good hardcopy info on these things..

yep deffinatley i have a subscription its a quality honda mag :>

https://store.primediamags.com/mag_store/2/162Honda tuning mag (http://hondatuningmagazine.com)

type one
07-09-2004, 07:56 PM
PLEASE do not rice up your car.. NO SCHICK CHROME RIMS and keep the stickers to a minimum...

as for performance stuff i reckon the best way to start is pick a jap brand and deck your car out - simplest fastest way to do I/H/E...

Apexi - for 2.5K you will be able to do I/H/E - 2nd hand even cheaper... and get a good little gain going.

5Zigen same as above... except to the best of my knowledge 5zigen only have panel filters (full replacement of stock unit) not pod type. IMO pod on an auto is a bit of a waste of time... stick to a panel filter inside your stock box - you can get trust filter, stock replacement for about $145.

if you have bigger budget like $5K look into mugen and spoon items.

If you want to spend less than 2K look to local stuff which you can get out of your local Autobarn. IMO stay away from this stuff, you have a nice car spend a little (in the end you will get better resale value on your mods as well).

rims/tyres - GSi = stock 14's? stay away form anything bigger than a 16" unless you wish to spend in excess of 3K for your rims - bc you will undo all your hardwork trying to squeeze that extra little bit of power by the weight of your bigger rims (read up on unsprung weight)... look for a 2nd hand set of 16's - ie rota rims, or the like.. nice and light and will complement your nice I/H/E... as for tyres Bridgestone GGRID 3's always get a good write up... affordable and good for about 45-55K.

hope this helps you get thinking about mods.

monstaR
07-09-2004, 08:31 PM

Hey looking for honda tuning mag, last time aboutb a month ago i bought it from chadstone shopping centre at the news agent in melbourne

monstaR
07-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Yo how about installing an AEM fuel pressure regulator as well, works abit like the vafc, gives you power when you need it and save fuel when you lose it on the throttle. For vafc, be it a normal drive or a trashing, fuel consumption will be generally higher as it is set to a specific air fuel ratio...... :wave:

ACTI0NMAN-1
08-09-2004, 12:11 AM
I/H/E and chip

I found and purchased all these items by looking arround first.

Ebay ColdAir Intake 2 piece and pod delivered from the US - $120

B Series Headers 4-2-1 source from various ozhonda forums - $180

Cannon muffler conversion - $190 (removal of muffler, s-bend and cannon added)

Ebay Ecu chip with Fuel/Performance Adjustments delivered from the US - $30 (add extra $50 if you cant solder it in yourself.)

take your time looking and you will save

SiR JDM
08-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey looking for honda tuning mag, last time aboutb a month ago i bought it from chadstone shopping centre at the news agent in melbourne

Try the Clayton Newsagency on Clayton road near Clayton Station. They always have atleast 1 copy =)
Was reading it today...
Last montths issue had a really good write up/tutorial about converting rear drums to discs on a EG civic.. which probably wouldn't be very helpful for ppl in this forum, but just an example of things they cover =)

5poon
08-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Hope im not hijacking this thread... Does anyone know what K&N panel filter model number suites my 95 gsi teg?
I think im needing to order one as I havnt heard of a place in Syd that stock them all.
Cheers.

FANATK
09-09-2004, 09:21 AM
the standard filter is not a panel style, its a pod style filter...

most stockists of K&N should have them

Autojoy Parramatta sells them, i inquired about my car just yesterday :)

egSi
09-09-2004, 10:36 AM
the K+N number is: E-2427. for 1995 1.8L GSi

i get K+N dude ;)

imminent_
09-09-2004, 01:16 PM
wicked, the thread has been resurrected with some useful info.. just wanted to say thankyou :)

type one
09-09-2004, 01:22 PM
no worries mate Ozhonda is here to help LOL .. if you want to pm me i can tell you about the failures i have had as well so you might rethink going down certain mod paths.. and save some money in the end.

5poon
09-09-2004, 01:32 PM
the standard filter is not a panel style, its a pod style filter...

most stockists of K&N should have them

Autojoy Parramatta sells them, i inquired about my car just yesterday :)

Yeah i knew what is stock, i heard that the panel filters flow better in an airbox intake though. (correct me if im wrong :confused: ).

Tks, will check Autojoy for E-2427.
Cheers for the part no: egsi :thumbsup:

5poon
09-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Called Autojoy, they are selling the Pod filter for $171. Orders will be coming in tomorrow.
Spoke with the manager who advised that they do not supply panel filters for the 95 teg as it is not economical. The Pods suck more air and is best suited for the Airbox.

Totally screwing my last comment up!!!!

Can someone please advise which is correct. Im totally confused now.

egSi
09-09-2004, 02:31 PM
if you are not goin the full cold air intake with heat shielding/wrapping then a panel would do just fine.

$171? hmm seems allot to me.

Javed
09-09-2004, 02:36 PM
the stock filter in the box is pod, why change it to panel? Not really logical. If you don't want to go CAI, then a trust drop in filter is about the same price if not even cheaper than the K and N pod filter, which im pretty sure will not live inside the airbox.

type one
09-09-2004, 02:40 PM
javed is correct... no point..look for a trust or spoon replacement... washable foam.. very convenient. i have one myself... no issues - good clean sound.

egSi
09-09-2004, 03:02 PM
yep thats right, pod is stock.

i have them but i dont charge $171.00

5poon
09-09-2004, 05:35 PM
So, in the end the POD is better than the PANEL in a airbox situation. In general a POD kicks shit all over a PANEL in any situation.. right?

FANATK
09-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Autojoy had one in stock when i was there a couple days ago...

and with price they cost more then a panel filter as its pod style - bigger and all

comparing with say a prelude vtir - panel style cost $125

either way id say pod is better :)

steve_civic
14-09-2004, 09:53 AM
sell it and buy a type R

EG_2_TEG
14-09-2004, 01:44 PM
just buy a $25 pod filter, and replace it every 6 months
i'd prefer doin that than gettin a k&N one and having to clean it :)

enoch
16-09-2004, 11:05 PM
hmm...there's some nice automatic gear knobs out there..
can i change mine to one of those?

Terry
16-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Another tips for getting the GSI faster.....tint window and take the rear seat + spare tyre off.....that would help.

imminent_
17-09-2004, 01:14 AM
enoch: yeah, even though the auto gear knob button is on the side, you can still put on your own one - i've doen it on mine and it looks nice :)

terry: i saw a honda mag from the US where they got a stock teg which ran 16's and made it run 14's all by stripping the interior - two seconds and spending $0. Of course, it had no bonnet, lights, interior, etc, but still ..

EG_2_TEG
17-09-2004, 01:16 AM
but keep in mind
gettin a car from 15's to 14's, is a lot easier than gettin a car from 14's to 13's

enoch
17-09-2004, 08:56 PM
imminent: how much's the gearknob and where did u get it? do u have pics? how did u get it changed?

imminent_
17-09-2004, 09:53 PM
christ dude, 101 questions :P $35 for mine, its silver, button on top, black carbon fibre surrounding halfway down the shaft.. looks mega spiffy, i'll take a photo in the next few days..got it via a friend, but apparently you can get it from Repco.

omar: good point. So whats the first thing to do on a dc4? exhaust? intake?

enoch: changed it myself - you just unscrew yours, then make sure when you install the new one you have the button pushed down so you can move gears, then tighten it. Otherwise you'll be stuck unable to get from park :P it was a bitch to get it on the first time, but it just takes a bit of 'duh' :P

EG_2_TEG
17-09-2004, 11:07 PM
intake and exhaust are probably the first thing you'd do to any car for performance gains

but i'm pretty much done with performance mods on my ride
Gsi's were never really meant to go fast, except if u wanna spend $5k+ for get a B18C2 dropped in, or $7k+ for FI

i'm thinkin of sellin up and gettin a Vti-R, but don't really wanna go through the hassle of finding another low km ride
*sigh*

might just wait till my next ride in a couple of years, DC2R or DC5R

enoch
18-09-2004, 01:28 AM
icic...
i just wanna make my car look nice and feel nice..
gsi goes well imo, but then, ive neva been in a type r....

Terry
18-09-2004, 01:43 AM
my car is auto as well.......but after i did the I/H/E.....feel way much better then stock....i understand auto car is not for drag.....so i prefer to spend money on beefing up its handleing.....from my experience, cold air intake + drop in filter is very enough for a auto car......pot air filter is not good for auto.

traumatized
19-09-2004, 08:03 PM
javed is correct... no point..look for a trust or spoon replacement... washable foam.. very convenient. i have one myself... no issues - good clean sound.

is the trust one you are talking about the bright yellow drop in filter? i'm not to sure how to describe the foam... can you find a pic for me? because i cannot find one. i wonder how good that filter is as i can't find any info on it.

type one
20-09-2004, 10:50 AM
if you can wait a bit i will take a pic of it tonight... yes it is a bright yellow foam

but here is a link to the spoon one - looks EXACTLY the same

http://www.inlinefour.com/spooninaircl.html

traumatized
20-09-2004, 12:44 PM
if you can wait a bit i will take a pic of it tonight... yes it is a bright yellow foam

but here is a link to the spoon one - looks EXACTLY the same

http://www.inlinefour.com/spooninaircl.html

yeah thats it, can you take a pic of ur's also. are they any good? any performance gains from it? if you just put it in the stock air box without taking out anything like the resonator or anything.

type one
20-09-2004, 04:58 PM
i have taken my resonator out and plan to run a cold air intake.. just no time and haven't found good intake piping as yet....

yeah runs well... i prefer stock to open pod atmo cos of cop clamp down etc etc.. plus it runs very well... don't expect to be shocked by the power gains.. but IMO i have driven dc2r with mugen intake and same mods to me and my car pulls harder... well of course cos its my car right?? hehehe

i could be dreaming. anyway much of a muchness to me.

tommytendulkar
28-09-2004, 06:54 PM
hey guys......excuse my ignorance.... im in a similar situation to imminent...got a stock (except 4 wheels) manual dc4....and want to boost it up.......

......and yes got heaps of mad ideas about what to do from threads... ie pod filters/exhaust/extractors.... but how do i go about installing the stuff..... i know a few guys that could help out..... but something like installing a pod filter - is that something that anyone gets done professionally... or do all u guys do it urselves or do it with mates...??

FANATK
29-09-2004, 08:17 AM
pod filters can be done solo or with mates, not a big job...
remove the old air filter/box and just plug an play~ except you will need to secure in the filter

vcreation
30-08-2009, 02:22 PM
gsi is pretty good off the line, and has good low end torque so u can ride at low rpm. while VTi-R has that extra kick of that VTEC! which is good if ur at the track racing.
and for Type-R, yeah i don't mind a type R but well coz im driving up to the north coast often, i don't think it's fun and confortable to ride at over 4000rpm for 7 hours. thanks to the gearbox.

if u look at the spec, gsi, vtir and type R all have about the same max torque, and gsi reaches it's torque peak at lower rpm, which is really good for everyday driving.

i really enjoy driving fast and hard, but with the amount of cops out there and how 'HUNGARY' they are. i don't think its worth it

slimx
09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
I got a GSI myself getting extractors soon jst saving up