PDA

View Full Version : Help Servicing

CiVEK
05-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey guys, Im planning to go and get a full major service or what ever they are called. And basically would anyone be able to help me and tell me what it involves?
Ive went to Ultratune and they quoted me 570 and extra 70 bux if I wanted honda parts.
Ive also went to a local mechanic and he quoted me 170 and that includes the 25 point safety check or something rather.

Ive bought an ek1 about 4 months ago and only got a mate to tune up but non of that safety or whatever check they mite perform. so I just thought that it would be good. So just after some feedback

cheers guys.

civtir
05-07-2005, 10:57 PM
How many km's has ur car done?

Look in ur manual to see what is involved.

I did my 100,000km service at courtney pattersons honda dealer in heidelberg. It involved a timing belt change as well. If your thinking about doing it at a honda dealer, then courtney pattersons is good. I called up every other honda dealer in melbourne and got quotes. Courtney pattersons offered the best price. They were very professional too.

fongyfong
05-07-2005, 11:02 PM
how lond does it take for a major service and changing the timing belt?

Paul1985
05-07-2005, 11:17 PM
my local mechanic put my timing belt in wrong and f%^ked up my timing when i had to have it replaced on a service, i doubt honda parts were used also.. from now on i will take my car nowhere else other than a honda dealer from now on..

im just saying this because i reccomend u goto a honda dealer, at least get a quote..
dont make the same mistake i did, if u decide not to goto a honda dealer then ask questions, find out whether the mechanic services many hondas or not etc then decide.. :)

ultratune are a big company and may very well do a great job, but personally id prefer my car to be in a honda dealers hands, thats just me though (too many bad experiences), at least find out if he works on many honda's, you dont want your car coming back worse off than it was when u took it to the mechanic!! just something to think about..

Good luck
btw sorry bout being a bit off topic

civtir
05-07-2005, 11:22 PM
how lond does it take for a major service and changing the timing belt?

I dropped my car off in the morning 8am, and it was ready by 4pm.

fongyfong
06-07-2005, 01:22 AM
damn i just recently had a major service and timing belt replacement and i was shocked he took aorund 3 hours, cos i thought it would take longer, ya rekon he did a bodgy job

Paul1985
06-07-2005, 01:31 AM
does your car drive ok?
does it make a sorta rattling/pinging noise from the engine?

if it does, the timing could be out, if not it seems to be fine :)

fongyfong
06-07-2005, 01:35 AM
yeah car drives okay well it drives the same as before the major service and timing belt replacement, and havnt heard any noises from the engine so far , but most other places before him said it would take a whole day, but he did it so quick, so was a bit worried, is it possible to do a major service and timing belt change in 3 hours and a good job too? and oh yeah wheres the timing belt located at?

alphabeatsco
06-07-2005, 10:06 AM
i just called up the courtney pattersons.... in heidelberg..
cos i also needed a service at 80,000kms.
they quoted me 840 buckz..that's F%^& crazy...

DomenEK
06-07-2005, 10:16 AM
It may sound crazy, but I'd take it to a genuine honda service centre. They'll have all the (genuine Honda) parts on hand, plus intimate knowledge of your Honda back to front. Their mechanics have to undergo training courses every year to keep up with the latest techniques/knowledge, and they get model specific training everytime a new model comes out.

It'll be expensive though - my last major service at Honda caost me over $1k, but it was well worth it. All parts were 100% genuine Honda, and the car felt like it did brand new (its now done 170,000ks). And they cleaned the car inside and out :).

If you love your car man, treat her right! :thumbsup:
Which reminds me - mine is overdue for its next major service - time to part with some hard earned cash...

alphabeatsco
06-07-2005, 10:18 AM
hmm..yeah i guess it's all about the money...
i read a post in the s2000/nsx section, the guy got F up, after taking to honda service
hehehe...becarefull..not every honda service centre is a good one, only go to ones u had good experience from. you shouuld read that post, it was funny..

DomenEK
06-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I just read that thread. Hmmm....

Well I'm assuming that the centre I take my Honda to in Brisbane is a good one. My car has only ever been serviced there and not a thing has gone wrong. Mind you I've never checked the 'fine details' after a service, I've just perused the reciept and thought 'yeah it's all good'.

Still, I'll keep taking it there, I have been for the last 5 years, so they know my car pretty well. I don't care about how much it costs, at least I know it's being looked after...

BLKek
06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
My last major service and timing belt was done in around 6 hours (dropped off at 8am and picked her up just before 3pm...

Newcivic
06-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Holy crap i didn't know it cost so much to change belts and stuff :S

my major is coming up very soon as well .. so how much did you guys pay exactly for your cars go on in ?

supersamEK
06-07-2005, 06:06 PM
i just dropped off my ek sedan at MCGraths Holden Liverpool for my 100 000km service. They quoted me Around $450 for labour and estimate of about $250 for parts. They said they were gonna do

Oil Change/Filter
Spark Plugs
Timing Belt
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Although know they say car has to stay overnight so still dont know if they bodged me or not.. So far seems alright though. Service is pretty godd there..and price not bad so far

Limbo
06-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Just need a reputable Mechanic. Generally most of the major places do a good job.
Find a place that does alot of HOndas,

CiVEK
07-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Hrm.. well my car has done 136K and the timing has already been replaced.. Basically all the things such as spark plug..oil air.. etc I can DIY but I just wanted to take it to the mech so they can check the car if everything else is ok. Therefore after this service ill prob do a home job and then see the mech the following service or something like that.. :rolleyes: