PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove crankshaft pulley - PLEASE HELP!!!

s1lv1a9999
06-02-2004, 06:32 PM
My gf has a Honda Civic 94 GLi auto, the water pump needs replacing which means removal of the timing belt. Problem is, the nut on the crankshaft holding the pulley on is the tighest nut i have ever seen! i tried how i normally do it with other cars - turning over the motor with a breaker bar on the nut. didn't budge after like 10 tries. i heard u can take the dust cover off and wedge the flywheel with a screwdriver and use a knuckle bar to break it, but it is auto and the flex plate i fear would not be strong enough to hold, i can't find the dust cover on the auto anyways. HOW do i get it off...?
cheers, Mark.
cebonus@hotmail.com

TODA AU
06-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Dear oh dear...
For starters, your engine is a reverse rotator...
Not being rude, but you just ****ed up... big time…
By hitting the starter etc... Your are tightening the nut...
If you don't believe me.. Just look at the direction the thing wants to spin...
In all seriousness, the best advice I can give you, is to take the car to someone who has the correct tools & knows what they're doing before you do some serious damage to both your car & your wallet.

s1lv1a9999
06-02-2004, 11:09 PM
are u sure, caus i gave a dude from a Honda service place a call for that exact reason, to see if it was reverse thread. he told me it wasn't and that they are just really tight and a nuckle bar to break it.

TODA AU
06-02-2004, 11:22 PM
No, no...
The thread is a normal right hand thread...
The engine spins anti-clockwise...
Hitting the starter motor only serves to tighten the bolt...

ah789454
07-02-2004, 08:52 AM
hahahahaha.......i had the same problem trying to snap that nut. just take it to a mechanic get him to snap it for you.