PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket ABS system?

spetz
06-07-2005, 01:49 AM
Is there such a thing available?

Andi
06-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Not sure as I haven't heard of one yet but why do you need one?

CTR Coupe
06-07-2005, 04:16 AM
The real question is why you would want one. Most people remove or disable theirs. If you’re a good driver you should never need it, you should know the point that the brakes lock up and not put your foot down that hard.
your money is beter spent taking an advanced driving course.

bumography
06-07-2005, 04:20 AM
its an unnavoidable natural reaction to jam your brakes during certain circumstances.
I'm sure we've all had the car running a red light or the pedestrian walking on the road without looking hehe

EfiOz
06-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Yes, we have an aftermarket ABS made by ATE. It's a pretty simple plumbing job but mounting the wheel speed sensors can be a pain. It's a true 4 channel system with excellent wheel speed reolution. They've been used inall sorts of circuit cars from Daytona Prototypes to BMW's that normally only have 3 channel ABS.

Don't expect much change out of $8K though......

spetz
06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
$8000???
That's way more than I expected!

And for anyone who says a good driver shouldn't need ABS, I believe that everyone (besides maybe the exception of professional drivers) would benefit from ABS.
Like bumography said, it's a natural reaction.

For anyone who says they don't need ABS... I would like to see what happens to you if a kangaroo jumps out from nowhere in the middle of the night right in front of your car

Captiva_Blue
06-07-2005, 07:16 PM
What car do you drive? If a higher model of the one you drive came with it, it can be fairly easily transplanted in from a wrecked one and for way less that $8k.. just have to make sure you buy it with the brake lines intact (not cut up for a half cut). Mate of mine did it for about $2.5k on an EK..

e240
06-07-2005, 08:22 PM
The real question is why you would want one. Most people remove or disable theirs. If you’re a good driver you should never need it, you should know the point that the brakes lock up and not put your foot down that hard.

Actually, ABS is probably one of the best driver's aid ever and people who remove them from street cars are just kidding themselves about their skill level.

Captiva_Blue
06-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR Coupe

Actually, ABS is probably one of the best driver's aid ever and people who remove them from street cars are just kidding themselves about their skill level.

I'd have to agree with that, no matter how good a driver you are, you should never consider yourself above a little extra help. A truely good driver should be honest enough to know that they're not infallible and can do with a bit more help.

That said, I know why a lot of ppl remove ABS for the track, many systems are far too intrusive and don't lend themselves to trackwork very well. They should never be removed for street use imo, yes you should know where the lockup threshold is on your car, thats all well and good for controlled braking but in an emergency on the street, most drivers, no matter how skilled they are, are more likely than not to just mash the brakes, its just a normal panic reaction that is pretty much impossible to remove unless you really train hard (to the levels of race drivers, not just a few advanced training courses).

spetz
06-07-2005, 10:35 PM
I drive a CE lancer coupe but I don't know how to go ahead with what ABS to put in...

I have FTO brake master cylinder, don't know what lines, FTO suspension arms, Evo III brakes + calipers...

Captiva_Blue
06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
You would have to find out if any models in the ce range came with ABS.. you wouldn't be able to use an FTO system, not sure about the upgraded maaster cylinder or calipers tho.
If any models in that specific series came with it it would be possible to fit the hardware from a wrecked one. Check the lancer MR or GLXi, I think those were the top of the range ones so they would be most likely to have ABS. Also look at JDM ones, you might be able to source the system from a wrecked OS model.

PhatSol
06-07-2005, 10:59 PM

For sure. After owning an ABS equipped car for the first time, I would never go back. You would have to be a damn good driver to beat the performance of ABS. I find the ABS system on the sol is not intrusive at all, and only comes on when you really need it.

Limbo
06-07-2005, 11:23 PM
yeah i believe that even F1 have ABS so i would say that even the best have some requirement for it.

aimre
07-07-2005, 12:14 AM
i thought abs isnt allowed.... as this would allow them to go faster, and they dont want them to do that (like thats why the grooved the slicks)

ABS hasnt been proven to be better in the dry and may SOMETHIMES be worse (stoping distance wise) BUT in the wet they are undfoubtly the best this to have.

one good thing about it tough is that one can mash the brake and not lock up, therefore still allowing you to steer

spetz
07-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Well that's the hole point.
Sure on the track after a few laps you can tell where you should start braking, how hard to press the pedal etc
But it's the sudden panic situation where people just slam the brakes as an instant reaction.

The MR's had ABS but once again I think the only standard brake hardware on my car might be front brake lines... and even that might have been changed over (I know the rear has)
Maybe FTO ABS? Might as well put in traction control while am at it. I know I have the traction control sender things on the driveshafts

EfiOz
07-07-2005, 10:03 AM
On the road ABS is king.

On the track, it's a waste of weight and space in a race car. It's alsovery dangerous when trying to stop an out of control car with slicks on grass.............

F1 don't use it anymore. Besides being banned, it was only found to be of any benefit in wet/slippery conditions and even then only on slower speed corners. Typically it's only amateur drivers trying to drive cars past their skill level that want it put on track cars.