PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Coolent Bypass

kimo
06-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi,

Has anyone doen the Throttle Body Coolent BypassCoolant Bypass

Most Fuel Injected engines have a line with coolant going into and out of the throttle Body (TB) right by where the throttle plate is. The reason for this is to de-ice the TB and to preheat the air during start up. This is great for people in colder climates, but it actually robs us of power in every other climate. For every 10 degrees of temperature change in your air you will gain or lose 1% of your engines potential horse power. This coolant bypass will effectively lower your intake air charge temperature and thus increase your hp. We have had varying results from this cheap modification, and have heard reports of people gaining as much as 20 hp on their larger displacement engines (V8’s).

racinghonda
06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Doesn't the Jazz have a plastic intake manifold and throttle body? I thought that alone would ensure a cooler intake charge.

strepto
06-07-2005, 11:10 PM
No, its a metal one, and Kimo is right, there is little use for the coolant in the TB when you're in a hotter area of the world with no freezing winters. So I'd prolly just bypass it.

kimo
06-07-2005, 11:43 PM
No, its a metal one, and Kimo is right, there is little use for the coolant in the TB when you're in a hotter area of the world with no freezing winters. So I'd prolly just bypass it.

Today it's 38c back here :D

racinghonda
07-07-2005, 08:25 AM
So the throttle body is metal but the intake runners and plenum are plastic? It looks plastic.

strepto
07-07-2005, 04:13 PM
http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseriesphoto/iDSI2.jpg

It looks as is the intake is coated metal, but its kinda hard to tell.

racinghonda
07-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Its definetly plastic. Says so on the Honda website.

http://www.honda.com.au/jazz/vti/=technology/_powertrain_1.5-litre+vtec+engine.htm

Powertrain: 1.5-litre VTEC engine
Power: 81 kW @ 6,000 rpm | Torque: 143 Nm @ 4,800 rpm

Honda has developed a light, compact engine quipped with a roller coaxial VTEC system and aluminium rocker arms, and it shares technology with the Insight and i-DSI engines to achieve maximum fuel efficiency.

Honda engineers sought to develop a SOHC, 16-valve, 1.5-litre VTEC engine with the best balance of power output, fuel efficiency and ultra-low emissions.

The Jazz 1.5-litre engine has a peak power of 81kW @ 6000rpm and 143Nm @ 4800rpm, and achieves Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) status.

Numerous measures were taken to reduce friction, including an offset cylinder design, roller type rocker arms, low tension and ion plated piston rings, streaked main and connecting rod metal bearing and blade-type chain tensioner.

To minimise the engine's weight and dimensions, the engineers designed the 1.5-litre VTEC engine with a compact cylinder head, hollow camshaft, plastic intake manifold and stainless pipe exhaust manifold.

The air-conditioner compressor is mounted on the oil pan to make the best use of the compact engine bay. The 1.5-litre engine also has a front intake and rear exhaust layout to maximise space.

The cylinder block has uses an offset design, which means the crank pin axis and the piston pin axis are both offset from the cylinder's centre line so that the piston's side force is minimised at the piston position where the combustion reaches its peak. This allows a minimum of friction loss.

Another benefit of the offset design is lower fuel consumption - the piston speed is relatively slow in the first half of the expansion stroke, which improves thermal efficiency and, as a result, lower fuel consumption.

muli
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
So the throttle body is metal but the intake runners and plenum are plastic? It looks plastic.

intake is plastic

kimo
07-07-2005, 07:39 PM
intake is plastic

So there is no use to do the bypass

strepto
07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
On the oposite! Theres even MORE use for it!

Zimp13
07-07-2005, 08:46 PM
wat abt in australia? cold most of the time yet summer is so hot.... plus how to do the byass???

Jus-10
07-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Mate Australia is not cold most of the time....Alot of Europe is cold most of the time, but not Australia.

Unless you are living inland (or Tassie), you are lucky if the temps get any lower than 5 degrees. Even Melbourne is not really that cold in comparison.

So have you tried it with your car Kimo?

kimo
07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Mate Australia is not cold most of the time....Alot of Europe is cold most of the time, but not Australia.

Unless you are living inland (or Tassie), you are lucky if the temps get any lower than 5 degrees. Even Melbourne is not really that cold in comparison.

No I didn't maybe I should as where I live is damn hot it's like 37c today. :D

Zimp13
09-07-2005, 06:02 PM

I didnt think further when i wrote that comment.... Melbourne, I mean is cold mnost of the time.....how long is the summer in Melbourne??? max like 4 months..... in these 4 months, how many % really really hot???? i would say less that 60%.... hot 3 days, cool down for 2 to 3 days....

anyway this is not important, all i wanna know is, useful 2 do the bypass????

spoon fit
11-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Melbourne, I mean is cold most of the time.....how long is the summer in Melbourne??? max like 4 months..... in these 4 months, how many % really really hot???? i would say less that 60%.... hot 3 days, cool down for 2 to 3 days....

how long have u been in melbourne? :D
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/th/twc_logo2_sm.gif

Zimp13
11-07-2005, 10:41 PM
how long have u been in melbourne? :D
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/th/twc_logo2_sm.gif

u saying that i m wrong???? i live in melb and i dunno???? :rolleyes:

spoon fit
11-07-2005, 10:47 PM
no, juz ask

Zimp13
11-07-2005, 10:59 PM
no, juz ask

hehehehe.... :D

kimo
21-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi,

I have done it, and it works, the car feels better, and the responce is faster.

crankshaft
21-07-2005, 10:10 AM
kimo, how did u actually bypass the thing?

kimo
21-07-2005, 05:49 PM
kimo, how did u actually bypass the thing?

I just took off the coolent hose that goes to the TB, and blocked it from inside with a screw nail and put it back, so it looks like before.

Check : http://www.2003corolla.org/diy.php?diy=16

STTICH
21-07-2005, 06:38 PM
did u take any pics during the process kimo? a write up would b good :)

kimo
21-07-2005, 06:45 PM
did u take any pics during the process kimo? a write up would b good :)

No I didn't get any photo, will it's so simple, just take off the hose and block it from inside and return it again back to TB, so when you go to the dealer they wouldn't know.

Zimp13
24-07-2005, 12:28 PM
No I didn't get any photo, will it's so simple, just take off the hose and block it from inside and return it again back to TB, so when you go to the dealer they wouldn't know.

would it affect the coolant cycle when that hose is blocked? the hose connected to the TB, i assume that the coolant would travel to the TB and where does the coolant go from the TB?

kimo
24-07-2005, 07:03 PM
would it affect the coolant cycle when that hose is blocked? the hose connected to the TB, i assume that the coolant would travel to the TB and where does the coolant go from the TB?

To be honest I didn't think of that. I will check and see.

Zimp13
24-07-2005, 08:14 PM
To be honest I didn't think of that. I will check and see.

Kimo,i had a look at the TB just now... there are 2 hoses next to each other.... i believe that one hose is for the coolant to enter the TB and the other hose if for the coolant to exit the TB... wat i did was unplug these two hoses and joint them together.... so instead of circling into and out of the TB, this should bypass the TB and the circulation of the coolant is not affected.... also, i seal the two holes from the TB so that dirts or watever wont enter into those holes... as for the effect, i just took the car for a drive.... it feels lighter.... but dunno if drive long distance though... :thumbsup:

kimo
24-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Kimo,i had a look at the TB just now... there are 2 hoses next to each other.... i believe that one hose is for the coolant to enter the TB and the other hose if for the coolant to exit the TB... wat i did was unplug these two hoses and joint them together.... so instead of circling into and out of the TB, this should bypass the TB and the circulation of the coolant is not affected.... also, i seal the two holes from the TB so that dirts or watever wont enter into those holes... as for the effect, i just took the car for a drive.... it feels lighter.... but dunno if drive long distance though... :thumbsup:

Right I just came from my friend shop, and we did exactly what you did. But will put them back if I go to the dealer.
So what you think about I felt the car better but want to share other people experince. Is there any side effect on that.

Zimp13
24-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Right I just came from my friend shop, and we did exactly what you did. But will put them back if I go to the dealer.
So what you think about I felt the car better but want to share other people experince. Is there any side effect on that.

The throttle feels a lighter and more responsive but i just took it for a spin... probably next longer distance travelling so i would know for sure... plus its winter here.... u guys mentioned will b better if weather is hot rite?

kimo
24-07-2005, 10:51 PM
It feels a bit lighter but i just took it for a spin... probably next longer distance travelling so i would know for sure... plus its winter here.... u guys mentioned will b better if weather is hot rite?

Will it's hot here about 37c, will it effect in fuel consumption.

kimo
26-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Ya now all my friends are doing it all kind of cars.

jtanoyo1
27-07-2005, 01:39 AM
I did the coolant bypass in my aristo turbo too. The effect is a lot bigger on turbo cars.... I might do this on the Jazz too. ;)

Zimp13
27-07-2005, 11:07 AM
i found the rpm becomes lower and sort of a bit unstable on my jazz....

MRFIT
27-07-2005, 12:51 PM
what exactly do u mean by rpm became lower? please explain in more details.... :) thank you.

muli
27-07-2005, 01:05 PM
idles too low?

Zimp13
27-07-2005, 11:38 PM
idles too low?

yeah idle lower... plus a little bit unstable....

Zimp13
27-07-2005, 11:40 PM
what exactly do u mean by rpm became lower? please explain in more details.... :) thank you.

u wan 2 try joey? may be works better in a manual jazz... i dunno.....