PDA

View Full Version : Changing springs on a '96

Mike_
07-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Hey guys

I have a 96 accord, and I just bought a new set of springs to go on my standard shocks. I'm going to be fitting them myself, with the help of a used-to-be mechanic, and we have all the right tools, just need to know if theres any ins and outs that I should know before starting.

Also is there any tutorials out there for doing this? I know it's probably the same for most cars but if theres something small and important thats different on the accord then I want to know about it!

Thanks guys

-Mike_

Dominik
07-07-2005, 09:00 PM
http://www.accordinglydone.com/

They have a tech article on it, but you have to join up to see it. Its not that hard. I did it myself; just watch that you dont strip any bolts! ($$$)

vtek
07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
its an easy job, just make sure you take care when compressing the springs. compress them evenly and safly.

Paul1985
07-07-2005, 09:49 PM
cant the spring somehow come out in a dangerous way? is there like a bolt or something u should not undo at a certain time or something?
ive been told u should be careful with DIY suspension jobs..

joyride
08-07-2005, 07:43 AM
thats why you need spring compressors (or large G clamps)

Mike_
08-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I've got spring compressors so thats not an issue, also doing it wiht a mechanic so we're doing it properly!

Its just that I need to know if theres any pitfalls or tricks to doing it that might trap me. If get half the suspension off then realise I cant do something AND cant go back... i've got a car with 2 wheels that i need to get moved to a professional.

And yes, there are dangers with DIY jobs! I've heard of people using g-clamps and pieces of wood, and having them let go and shoot the spring through their leg

Mike_
08-07-2005, 10:02 AM
oh and thanks for that link dominik, its really good! but i cant access the tech pages! I registered but meh, I'll keep trying and I'll check their forums too.

razaman
08-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Good luck and remember to get a wheel alignment.

And pics or it didn't happen!:p

Raz

Mike_
08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
hahaha

thanks!

poid
09-07-2005, 10:39 AM
only trick is on the rear, undo the bolt that holds the brake line to the chassis near the front of the rear wheel well. Its a little easier than unbolting the rear calipers for when you remove the shocks. Otherwise you just undo the bolts :)